Wrong Shipping Method Used

RaeBelle

The Commish
O.G.
Jan 15, 2008
This is the first time anything like this has happened to me, so I'm trying to be thorough.

On the 11th, I won a Best Offer for a bag. The auction stated that it would be shipped US Postal Service Priority Mail. I got the PayPal notification that it shipped on the 12th. I figured it should probably be arrive yesterday (16th) or today (17th). Since it's still not here, I decided to recheck that PayPal email about shipping. The PayPal email says that it's been shipped USPS Parcel Post?!

Why would someone ship a bag via Parcel Post? When the bag finally does arrive, should I contact the seller about the shipment method?

That happened to me earlier this year- the seller was a jerk about it, saying the $18 he charged for $6 parcel post was for shipping and handling (which was entirely irrelevant since his auction stated priority mail). It took a couple emails but he eventually refunded me the difference via the "refund" option on PayPal.

I really don't understand why they bother with Parcel Post for a small item. When you print the labels online they cost almost the same once you add the delivery confirmation to the parcel post while Prioriy is already included. If the item weight around 10 pounds maybe it is a lot cheaper but for a bag it is ridiculous.

For example my mom lives in Puerto Rico. A Priority rate box is only $9 and a seller sent parcel post that costed $8.25 but took 3 weeks to arrive because Parcel Post to PR is by water. :cursing:

I would contact the seller and remind them that the auction clearly stated Priority shipping, which is what you paid for and since if shipped Parcel Post they should refund you the difference! That's happened to me twice over the last several years and I've lucked out both times and had the buyer refund me the difference on both occasions. Good luck!

I hate it when this happens.. 90% of the time it's because they estimated way too low and when they see the actual shipping cost most take the easy way out and send using a cheaper method. I bet when you get it it'll be no tracking/no insurance, too.

That recently happened to me and I was really bothered by it. My seller just poo pooed my angst and never contacted me again. I haven't left feedback yet, but it still bothers me. I think that the seller cheaps out and expects the buyer to be ok with it. Contact the seller. I hope that she at least entertains the thought of a ship refund for you. Good luck and please keep us posted.

You should definitely state that she sent parcel post in the feedback... and give her one or no stars for shipping. For a $$ bag that's just unacceptable, IMO. Some of the parcel post boxes I've seen come though our post office make me cringe for what poor object may be inside.

That recently happened to me and I was really bothered by it. My seller just poo pooed my angst and never contacted me again. I haven't left feedback yet, but it still bothers me. I think that the seller cheaps out and expects the buyer to be ok with it. Contact the seller. I hope that she at least entertains the thought of a ship refund for you. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Yea, that person deserved a negative!

It could also be a seller error - sometimes they forget or put the wrong shipping method in the listing. Ask them nicely and point out that you needed it sooner and are very upset it won't get there on time. As someone pointed out, the price could be approximately the same for a bag since for heavier items, Parcel and Priority cost nearly the same. A smart seller will refund a few bucks to make sure you are happy.