Does anyone know about green gold?

zeitgeist4

I live for bags.
Jun 12, 2006
I really like this ring by Lauren Wolf. As you can see it's made of green gold, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how that is different than yellow gold. Does it just have a slightly green tinge?

All of Lauren Wolf's gold jewelery is green gold. :confused1:

Only the ring on the right (on its side) is green gold, the rest are sterling silver.
LWurchinring.jpg

Another picture with more gold.

LWstarfishbangle.jpg

As you know, pure gold is yellow so any colored gold is the result of the alloys used to strengthen pure gold. Those different shades of pink/rose/red gold have a higher amount of copper; white golds have more nickel/palladium. Green gold is achieved by putting more silver in the gold alloy. Even though silver is white in its pure state, when mixed with gold, it exhibits a green hue. There are many colors of gold that can me created by using different alloy metals and mixing them under specific heating conditions.

Diana

yep, exactly what Diana said. The type and percentage of metal alloys in gold are what determine its color. Generally Green gold is made by using only a silver alloy.

Purple gold is made using Aluminum as an alloy.

Interesting! Thanks for the info ladies :smile:

I have never heard of PURPLE gold! This I have to see....anyone have a pic or link?

I found this site with some information about gold color

http://www.goldinspirations.com/
I never heard of purple gold....
I have seen lately a lot of brown gold used in designer jewelry and watches
rings6.jpg

De Grisogono BrownyBrown Ring

Screenshot_1_20.jpg

This De Grisogono ring is made from De Grisogono’s special gold, aptly named BrownyBrown after its brown color. The BrownyBrown gold is actually brownished pink gold, it differs from Boucheron’s Chocolate gold as it is slightly darker.

There is blackened gold
DG_50309-01-001_Z.jpg

Me too. I prefer white but love pink. My jeweler has tried to sell me green gold bangles in the past, and they were beautiful. I definitely think pairing the different colors of gold highlights the various shades.

Whoa...chocolate gold?? Why have I never heard of this before??? Does it require ongoing maintenance like rhodium plating on white gold?

Choclate brown gold is beautiful IRL... I've tried on some rings made with it and they are stunning, Regarding your question, I asked Boucheron and they said No maintenance what so ever because the brown color is permenant in the gold:smile:

It's often hard to find some of the colors online, but there is everything from brown, purple, blue, red, black made using different variations of alloys.

Some of the combinations are very hard to work with (brittle) so they are often less popular. When I go to the Jewelers convention next month in Vegas I will try to bring back some examples to show you.

As you know, pure gold is yellow so any colored gold is the result of the alloys used to strengthen pure gold. Those different shades of pink/rose/red gold have a higher amount of copper; white golds have more nickel/palladium. Green gold is achieved by putting more silver in the gold alloy. Even though silver is white in its pure state, when mixed with gold, it exhibits a green hue. There are many colors of gold that can me created by using different alloy metals and mixing them under specific heating conditions.

Diana

thank you sooooo much diana for the information.:nuts: IT WAS ENLIGHTENING.
and this thread is too informative for my own good! more gold to spend on!:sweatdrop: