Department Stores Taking On Ebay

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
With the economy slowing down you are seeing high end stores like Neiman Marcus offering sales that are really putting the hurt on Ebay. Why take a chance on a fake Prada or one that isn't as described when you can get the same item from Saks for a competitive price, get the store to stand by their purchase and great service to top it off? Ebay sellers are going to have to lower their prices even more or sit on a lot of merchandise until the economy picks up again. It's also having a ripple effect from Macys to Kmart, the price gap between the big box guys and Ebay is closing to a point where Ebay is no longer worth the risk. The winners in all this? You, the buyer :yahoo:

I am one of those people who just won't buy on eBay. I had a really bad experience years ago and now, it isn't worth it. With all of the scammers both buying and selling, I just don't see the point in trying anymore!

With the economy slowing down you are seeing high end stores like Neiman Marcus offering sales that are really putting the hurt on Ebay. Why take a chance on a fake Prada or one that isn't as described when you can get the same item from Saks for a competitive price, get the store to stand by their purchase and great service to top it off? Ebay sellers are going to have to lower their prices even more or sit on a lot of merchandise until the economy picks up again. It's also having a ripple effect from Macys to Kmart, the price gap between the big box guys and Ebay is closing to a point where Ebay is no longer worth the risk. The winners in all this? You, the buyer :yahoo:

Indeed, interesting perspective. Now - the real question.....will manufacturers keep their prices steady, increase them or....lower them (HAH!). In the retail world - there is such a lag time between goods ordered and goods being marketed/sold......so, does this bode for better sales in the Fall?????? OR - do they need to sell Spring items now quickly - and discount them sooner for better cash flow??????

There are only so many dollars to go around. You may see stores like LV and Hermes hold the line but you're already seeing brands like Chanel, Gucci and Prada agreeing to be included in sales they never would have agreed to if times were better.

But there is a problem if the $ continues to fall against the euro. The cost of clothing either manufactured in europe and made with european materials will rise. And stores might have to raise prices in addition to getting great discounts which would equal out any savings.

I think that some European companies will either hold the line or find other ways to cut their costs. It will certainly push some of those that haven't already gone to China to consider doing so before long. The high Euro isn't hurting us as much as it is the Europeans, and they were already dealing with double-digit unemployment rates.

But there is a problem if the $ continues to fall against the euro. The cost of clothing either manufactured in europe and made with european materials will rise. And stores might have to raise prices in addition to getting great discounts which would equal out any savings.

I am also one of the buyers who would never do e-bay due to the "fake" industries out there.... BTW anyone watched PBS on "illicit" where they did a documentary on the "fake" market? There is NOWAY I would support any fake industries!

I thought that those great sales were responsible for the "better than predicted" (Better by 0.02%) consumer sales in March...

Just my take on the whole thing, some ppl ("professional" ebayers) look for bargains like this on authentic merchandise buy it at the discount & sell for a little below retail. Some international people only use ebay.

^ oh yes, for instance, there was a Rebecca Minkoff Gilt sale a while ago, and soon after, a few of the same bags appear on Ebay with higher markups.

It could be a wild coincidence... but I think not.

Compass Rose I agree with you. I would not buy from Ebay. I know there are alot of Pforumers that would and do buy from Ebay. I won't knock them for it but I hear alot more stories of people having doubts as to where there money went. ie..authenticate this and authenticate that. I just could not do that to myself. I would rather be 100% sure on where my product came from.

now as for prices being slashed....

Even if upscale designer labels slash their prices, I don't see them slashing them enough to discourage people buying from EBAY. How much can they slash off of a 2500 bag? Can they slash it down to $500? Most likely not. Hence people will continue going to ebay to try to get that good deal they covet.

I just think that handbags sales will eventually decline and prices will be dropped back to normal.

I wouldn't do ebay either I just prefer to buy my bags from legit places and you can't put a price on a 'piece of mind'. I occasionally browse for those rare bbags but you just have to be super careful and know what you are looking for. Not everything is fake but it def. is BUYER BEWARE. Seriously these counterfeiters need to get a life and a real job ugh fakes are so annoying. Last and final purchase was ratatouille for my cuz and it ended up being an awful bootleg!!!! Ugh I was so pissed and I refused to buy from ebay anymore.

Compass Rose I agree with you. I would not buy from Ebay. I know there are alot of Pforumers that would and do buy from Ebay. I won't knock them for it but I hear alot more stories of people having doubts as to where there money went. ie..authenticate this and authenticate that. I just could not do that to myself. I would rather be 100% sure on where my product came from.

now as for prices being slashed....

Even if upscale designer labels slash their prices, I don't see them slashing them enough to discourage people buying from EBAY. How much can they slash off of a 2500 bag? Can they slash it down to $500? Most likely not. Hence people will continue going to ebay to try to get that good deal they covet.

I just think that handbags sales will eventually decline and prices will be dropped back to normal.

Yeah they will never slash a bag down to 500 from 2500 but then if you saw that same thing on ebay thats a red flag automatically. Who in there right mind would sell a 2500 authentic bag for 500? There's no way in hell someone would do that unless it is fake or seriously damaged beyond repair.

I am also one of the buyers who would never do e-bay due to the "fake" industries out there.... BTW anyone watched PBS on "illicit" where they did a documentary on the "fake" market? There is NOWAY I would support any fake industries!

I'll have to check this out, looks like it will air tommorow night. I'm also forwarding to my sister who will not stop buying fakes no matter how many times I tell her what she is a part of everytime she shells out money for a fake bag :tdown: