Help me decide!!!

Jan 25, 2006
I have been out of full time work since last June, and started working temp assignments in January. One job I interviewed for back in January called me the other day asking if I was still interested and how the manager was anxiously hoping I was. I told them yes I am and she said they would begin my background check and call me next week with a formal offer. This job is one that I think will really help me career wise as it is working totaly with databases and my career goal is to become a Database Admin.

On the other hand the temp assignment i've been working for the last month told me my second week in that they were interested in hiring me for the position i'm working in which is as a Project Manager. I really like where I am, the people are great, I enjoy that I get to do different things and the job isnt repetitive. I also LOVE that I have my own office. Well today the Dept Manager called me into her office and asked if I was still willing to stay with them full time. I told her I was she asked my salary requirements. I told her and she said that they would be able to meet them.

This is what I have been waiting for for almost an entire year! I am very happy and blessed but just don't know what to do. I'm sure the Database job will pay more and help me move forward with my career goal. But the position i'm currently working in allows me to do so much and gain a variety of experience, plus I like the people I work with.

Help me out ladies! I don't know what to do!!!

Make an A/B list of each job and how it meets your goals, commute time, salary, chance for advancement, working conditions, security, etc. then pick whichever one meets the majority of conditions on the list.

You love where you are at, so stay... You might go to this new place and be deeply disappointed.. More money more problems..
You will be project manager and you have your own office and the flexibility, which means a lot more these days...plus you already like the work environment and they like you...
thats just my opinion... leaving the known going to the unknown....

Ask them to match the pay of the database job. If they can't, move on. Especially since the database job will help you with your career goal.

This is a good idea, and I thought about this but won't know what the pay is for sure til sometime next week.

Make an A/B list of each job and how it meets your goals, commute time, salary, chance for advancement, working conditions, security, etc. then pick whichever one meets the majority of conditions on the list.

I am definitely gonna do this tonight.

You love where you are at, so stay... You might go to this new place and be deeply disappointed.. More money more problems..
You will be project manager and you have your own office and the flexibility, which means a lot more these days...plus you already like the work environment and they like you...
thats just my opinion... leaving the known going to the unknown....

:yes: These are all things that have me leaning toward staying where I am.

Since you already told the company you are at what your pay expectations are, and they intimated that your requirements could probably be met, don't say anything until they come back to you. If they try to "low-ball" you then, you can come back with the fact that you just got another job offer for even more pay. This is usually not worth trying or doing unless it is for real, and the other job is definitely a stepping stone for your career! So, you are in a perfect position right now...don't rush anything. :yes:

Ultimately, you should be doing a little bit of counter-intelligence work on both of these companies right now...because in today's economic environment, the most important question you need to be asking yourself is "which position will I most likely be in several years from now and not finding myself back out on the street looking for another job?" ! Really...you need to do some background checking on both companies and the industries that they are in (you didn't say so), and factor this info into your decision making. But...having your own office, and being a "manager" is a BIG, BIG plus on anyone's resume...if you are up to the challenge...you should consider going for it. Just make sure that you really will be getting the amount of money you want for the amount of responsibility you will have going into the position. :tup:

Since you already told the company you are at what your pay expectations are, and they intimated that your requirements could probably be met, don't say anything until they come back to you. If they try to "low-ball" you then, you can come back with the fact that you just got another job offer for even more pay. This is usually not worth trying or doing unless it is for real, and the other job is definitely a stepping stone for your career! So, you are in a perfect position right now...don't rush anything. :yes:

Ultimately, you should be doing a little bit of counter-intelligence work on both of these companies right now...because in today's economic environment, the most important question you need to be asking yourself is "which position will I most likely be in several years from now and not finding myself back out on the street looking for another job?" ! Really...you need to do some background checking on both companies and the industries that they are in (you didn't say so), and factor this info into your decision making. But...having your own office, and being a "manager" is a BIG, BIG plus on anyone's resume...if you are up to the challenge...you should consider going for it. Just make sure that you really will be getting the amount of money you want for the amount of responsibility you will have going into the position. :tup:

I've been thinking about all this also. Great Advice! Thank you!