Virus sent through potential buyer on ebay??

sunny07

O.G.
Sep 13, 2007
So I'm selling a bag on ebay, and as this is my first sale I'm a bit wary of getting scammed or something. This evening I received an email from a potential buyer who wanted to buy my bag "for a friend" (which made me a bit suspicious already), and wanted to know the quickest way I could send it to him. He asked me to respond asap (urgency also made me a bit suspicious). But I checked the feedback, and he had over 100 feedback with only one negative (in french so I couldn't understand it!!) However, ebayer was in australia and I will only ship to US, which is clearly stated in my auction, so I told him I couldn't sell to him.

Anyways, ebayer wrote back to say no problem, because he's not sure my bag is the one his friend wants, and could I check the link to see if it's the same bag? Of course, I should've have thought twice before clicking the link, but I stupidly clicked and immediately my antivirus program popped up and blocked "hacktool.rootkit". At first I didn't think much about it, and even responded back to the guy through ebay (thankfully! and not through my email account) giving him advice about the bag he might be looking for (HELLO?? What was I thinking??? Argh! My brain was out to lunch) But after doing a search on "hacktool.rootkit", I discovered it's a virus to allow someone to hack into your system and access everything!!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf: So this is a warning to tPFers- be careful!!! And has this happened to anyone else? My antivirus caught it and blocked it, but part of me is still paranoid that this guy has access to my system!! Scary!!

I don't know much about rootkit viruses except for the fact that they are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS because they infect these rootkit files. I came across an online article in the not too distant past talking about how many anti-virus programs DO NOT find and remove these types of viruses.
There is some kind of rootkit anti-virus program out there. For your own safety I would run one of these scans as well, just to be sure.

Hopefully someone here who is more informed about rootkits can chime in? Does Vlad know, seeing as he is a computer guy?

^^ ugh, that's what I'm worried about. Yes, I'll have to find out more about this virus. my norton antivirus caught it immediately, so i hope it's blocked, but I'll have to ask around to find out more. If any computer experts can give me more input, please chime in!!

I did report this guy to ebay through live chat, and they said they're taking care of it, so hopefully he can't infect any other people!!

It is an easy mistake to make and the exact same thing happened to me last year. I clicked and my antivirus was not as advanced as yours. Within hours my account was hijacked. I now never click on anything...

It is an easy mistake to make and the exact same thing happened to me last year. I clicked and my antivirus was not as advanced as yours. Within hours my account was hijacked. I now never click on anything...

YIKES!! I'm so sorry, and I hope everything was taken care of. Ebay sent me an email this morning and said that the email I received was a spoof/phishing email, and yes the goal is to get your personal info. They're working on shutting down this site. So be safe out there!! The internet is a scary place!! :Push:

YIKES!! I'm so sorry, and I hope everything was taken care of. Ebay sent me an email this morning and said that the email I received was a spoof/phishing email, and yes the goal is to get your personal info. They're working on shutting down this site. So be safe out there!! The internet is a scary place!! :Push:
Yes I noticed something was wrong when my ebay told me I was selling 12 porsches the next evening. I called ebay in the US and my account was suspended for a while. I didnt realise how serious it was at the time. The person emailed me a link and asked me to click and tell him if it was the same bag but it was a bike so I just forgot about it. I never click links in emails now...:nogood:

Yes I noticed something was wrong when my ebay told me I was selling 12 porsches the next evening. I called ebay in the US and my account was suspended for a while. I didnt realise how serious it was at the time. The person emailed me a link and asked me to click and tell him if it was the same bag but it was a bike so I just forgot about it. I never click links in emails now...:nogood:[/quotew]

that's EXACTLY what the guy did to me- emailed me a link and asked if it was the same bag. :wtf: I wonder if it's the same guy?? :hysteric:And seriously, you're obviously active on ebay if you're selling, so how did he think you wouldn't notice?? Glad you got it straightened out.

I have had a few times, someones sent me an messege saying they were buying for a friend and wanted to know the quickest way I could send to him. Luckily before i responded the person whos account it was wrote me and said there account had been hacked into and not too respond. Ive had this happen several times now and I never right back.

^^ gosh, I guess that's the ploy- to ask for help about a bag and prey on our willingness to be helpful. :s The "buying for a friend" sounds suspicious to me in the first place- so ladies be aware if someone uses that ploy!!!

I was wondering if the person who contacted me had hijacked the account, because the ebayer had well over 100 feedback and all but one was positive. I really hope the people doing this get what they deserve!!! :bagslap: