Why do people not READ the auction terms?

Mar 28, 2007
I leave very detailed terms & conditions in my auction listings. One of which is that I will not understate the items value on the customs form.

So I have a Best Offer on one of my bags, I check out her feedback & it looks good. So I accept the offer & invoice her. First she wants me to send it to her friend... I explain I can only ship to an address listed on her Paypal account. She then tells me thats fine she's using her friends Paypal account to pay me. I don't really like when people do this but whatever, as long as I'm still protected no matter...

Then she tells me that she needs me to mark it as "gift" with a value of $50. This is a $700+ bag. I tell her sorry, no. I cannot understate the value & that it is clearly indicated in the auction terms.. Now she's like "I don't know what to do, I HAVE to avoid the customs fees"...

I thought about just refunding her & relisting but I'm really sick of these buyers that don't read, want you to bend over backwards for them... SO I respond, "sorry - that's why I clearly list the terms & conditions of my auctions". Balls in her court, pay up or get a non-paying bidder claim.

Am I wrong?!

Personally, I would refund her and try again.
The custom fees are high, but the buyer needs to understand the insurance is for your protection in case it gets lost. If you undervalue then you will be out of pocket should anything happen because she would win a Paypal claim. I have been a buyer myself and I can appreciate this.

Red flags! Cut your losses. I am looking at my crystal ball and see trouble in the future!! :lol:

I would do a refund and relist, I hate when the buyer does not read the auction. If you only mark it $50 and something happens you are going to be out $700. Something sounds a little fishy. Good luck.

Ask her to pay via wire transfer and you are off the hook. When a buyer pays via money order or wire, they can dictate all they like, they assume all the risk.
Hope it works out.
CHeers,

Just got a follow up email from her... now she saying that she didn't read the terms properly & ensures me that it would be her responsiblity if it gets lost...Are you kidding me?! It won't be her responsiblity, it would be mine!!

Red Flags... I'm cutting & running.

Christine

But can't they then state that the wire charge was fraudulent?
No, they have to go to the bank in person to initiate a bank transfer. I would not accept Western Union money transfers, just bank to bank, right into your bank account. I transact this way all the time, never a problem. If you try to pull a transfer back, it is nearly impossible.

Cheers,

But if they do bank to bank transfer, wouldn't they have your bank info and then could possibly do something fishy?? I really hate to give out my bank info and therefore always use paypal. You are so right, people don't read the listings carefully. I state several times that this is final sale, read before you bid, please have a conformed paypal address for shipping,etc. etc. And they do exactly what they want to! I had a buyer with 3 FB and no confirmed paypal outbid everyone recently; then she wanted to know if she could pay with her brother's paypal account?? I said OK but he has to do a BIN on his account. Luckily this worked out. So there actually are new people who are clueless, but honest...

But if they do bank to bank transfer, wouldn't they have your bank info and then could possibly do something fishy?? I really hate to give out my bank info and therefore always use paypal. You are so right, people don't read the listings carefully. I state several times that this is final sale, read before you bid, please have a conformed paypal address for shipping,etc. etc. And they do exactly what they want to! I had a buyer with 3 FB and no confirmed paypal outbid everyone recently; then she wanted to know if she could pay with her brother's paypal account?? I said OK but he has to do a BIN on his account. Luckily this worked out. So there actually are new people who are clueless, but honest...
Everytime you write a check, you give out your bank info. Routing number, account number and your name, this is all printed on your check and this is what you give a buyer so they can transfer funds intoyuor account. I recently tried to reject a bank transfer (not ebay related, it was an dupe payment), I could not do it, had to send a new wie transfer to the payer.
Bank transfers are safe and easy.
Cheers,

I leave very detailed terms & conditions in my auction listings. One of which is that I will not understate the items value on the customs form.

So I have a Best Offer on one of my bags, I check out her feedback & it looks good. So I accept the offer & invoice her. First she wants me to send it to her friend... I explain I can only ship to an address listed on her Paypal account. She then tells me thats fine she's using her friends Paypal account to pay me. I don't really like when people do this but whatever, as long as I'm still protected no matter...

Then she tells me that she needs me to mark it as "gift" with a value of $50. This is a $700+ bag. I tell her sorry, no. I cannot understate the value & that it is clearly indicated in the auction terms.. Now she's like "I don't know what to do, I HAVE to avoid the customs fees"...

I thought about just refunding her & relisting but I'm really sick of these buyers that don't read, want you to bend over backwards for them... SO I respond, "sorry - that's why I clearly list the terms & conditions of my auctions". Balls in her court, pay up or get a non-paying bidder claim.

Am I wrong?!

No, you are not wrong.

I simply to reply to emails asking me to lower the value, and ship it the way I am supposed to. However, they ussually pay and put it in the note.