Help! 20-something job interview/Chanel in the workplace: Chanel or NOT to Chanel?

thanks ellelee and pursegrrl: will try my best to be discreet. I was only planning to wear a grey pinstripe suit with a white tailored shirt! It's just the curse of Chanel that I was sitting there thinking it "needs" something -i.e. CHANEL. LOL -thanks for your advice

miffy: I love how you always tell it like it is. LOL... don't worry, I've been stressing on the interview part. I don't want to be looking all good and not able to answer a single question. haha -I've just seen some people who looked HIDEOUS, so I know I need to look professional and presentable. (omg, one time I was at an interview and there was a girl who was wearing these TIIIIIIIIIIGHT slacks, and her thong was sticking out and you could see all the lumps and bumps, needless to say, homegirl was NOT hired!) Glad to get your insight about the bag thing... please feel free to give me more tips, I really want this job! (It means funds for more bags, LOL)

I have been interviewing people for my group for the past 12 months. The last thing I notice is their bags.

That said, turning up for an interview with a flashy bag does give the interviewers the wrong impression that you don't give a dam* about the job and this is not a good thing. So on balance, you should leave your Chanel behind, pick a more low-key bag and concentrate on how you should respond to your interviewers' questions. You are interviewing for an intern position so I would say dress appropriately for that position, at least during the interview.

I prefer to hire someone who is good and looks after her appearance notwithstanding the pressure from work than someone who looks after her appearance but is utterly crap.

i was just curious why you said it makes you think that someone with a high end bag wouldn't give a dam* about the job? im sure its true but i just dont see how. I have brought my LV damier briefcase on a couple interviews but they were for high end clothing and accessory retailers so i thought itd be fine.

"sorry that lady was SO hideous towards you... I can't BELIEVE she just went through your bag like that. Seriously, the nerve of some people. Isn't it funny how most people would assume it's the ones with the nice bags that are judgmental of others... when in actuality it's the people that DON'T have the designer accessories that are the haters!"

I TOTALLY know what you mean! Once, some jerk guy flat out told me that I was probably stuck up and high maintenance since I have Tiffany's charm bracelet! And this girl next to him agreed! I was shocked...it never even crossed my mind to think anything negative about them since they didn't have anything from Tiffany's. I think maybe people are insecure? Or just plain RUDE! Any of my true friends will tell you that I will share anything I own!

I'm in a similar position, though I guess I have a bit more latitude due to my industry (financial). I'm 23 and sometimes feel a little "showy" walking into work with my bags-- even my LVs-- as most of the other female support staff are older than me and don't "indulge."

Still, I've interviewed quite a few people myself for various positions... I do have an eye for purses (obviously) so I *notice* them, but I don't judge someone based on what they're carrying, unless it's wildly inappropriate.

Bottom line, I would say that a flap would not be remiss. If you're feeling a little odd about it, turn it around so you don't flash logos.

I wouldn't carry a purse if you're also carrying a briefcase or portfolio unless it's small enough to fit inside the briefcase. Having to fumble with all your baggage when you're called in to the interview gives the interviewer too much time to evaluate your appearance. For me, I prefer not to sit down, leave my briefcase hanging off my left shoulder or in my left hand. Then I'm ready to greet the interviewer and immediately shake hands.

I always assume that Ill need to put my purse/briefcase on the floor. When I set it on the floor, I pull out the notepad and pen

I don't recommend a cheapo purse ... poor quality shows. Can you find a $35-50 simple leather one?

Good luck!

Janny, I know things are different in Los Angeles than they are here in Chandler, AZ. I've taken my Chanel bags to interviews but no one really knows or cares about designer bags here. I see lots of Coach and fake Chanel, so I'm sure people assume my bags are fake.

I agree to use a lower key bag for the job interview and once you get the job (cause you will!), take your bags to work with you. I mean, that's what they are for right? People are always going to judge whether it be your attire, accessories, the work you are doing, how long a lunch break you took, etc. I can't spend my time worrying about what people think of me and my bags and how I came to acquire them.

Kind of reminds me of the time I went to the bank to try for a lower interest rate on my Visa carrying a Chanel bag! The look I got from the cs rep was pretty darn funny!!

I would often interview applicants in our company, the first impression LASTS! I am not particular with what a lady is bringing with her during the interview but I would prefer a simple dignified and yet low profile character. So if you think you really want to bring along with you a Chanel bag, just carry it as long as you impress the interviewers with your resume.

hey babe....ur thread reminds me of my previous interviews sometime back when i jus started work not long.

Like other says, it's betta to bring a non-logo bags or shld i say low-key bags....at least you won't be judge by appearance/outlook becoz i usually carry balenciaga bags at that time, but it wasn't really common/popular to see such bags, so many of them have no idea what is that but jus sayin it's unique bag. I wuld say YSL muse bag is another bag that u can think of, not too loud but looks like an office bag.

If u really want your interview to go smoothly, so u have to be humble and not tryin to show off to others that "i'm a BRANDED person" and not giving pple an impression dat u are not serious abt the interview~

If you are questioning it, leave it at home. Otherwise it will dampen your confidence. You need to present yourself as a strong confident candidate yet humble at the same time. Leave it home, concentrate on nailing the job first and when you are hired later on you can decide whether to bring to work or not.

Hi janny! I'm going through the same thing you are right now, applying and interviewing for potential internships and I have not and DO NOT take any of my designer bags into the interview. Unless you are applying for a position in the fashion industry or an industry that deals with and knows the history behind the houses, I just don't think it's appropriate.

Whether the employer thinks it's fake or not, something with a logo will scream "look at the bag I'm using" instead of directing the attention to you and your assets to the company kwim?

But of course after being hired, it's a totally different story! I would definitely occassionally bring my designer bags to work after I'm hired. I don't think they'll fire you because of what bag you bring to the workplace =)

I'd say if you are so unsure, don't bring it.

It's an interview, and the person interviewing you certainly is certainly interested in YOU, NOT your handbag.

I personally would not bring a purse with any sort of logo or signature pattern (ie. Chanel quilting) to an interview. I want to look professional, but I don't want my potential boss to think I'm trying to flaunt something, KWIM?

If I were to interview someone for a position, I would not think the of the person with the designer purse more highly than the person without the designer purse. So, I'd say save yourself the trouble and just bring a simple yet professional purse.

I know presentation matters, but it's your personality and your performance in the interview that REALLY matters.

Don't bring it. I bring my nice bags to work but if I were interviewing someone who brought a Chanel, it just wouldn't seem right to me. I can't put my finger on why but it would rub me the wrong way. Once you get the job, I wouldn't think twice about bringing them to work. But not for the interview.

I definitely wouldn't bring chanel to a job interview....and I wouldn't bring it to work if i don't feel like i'm in a position to ie. if my boss doesn't own one, I wouldn't do it.