I have to make a Passover Sedar this year

I came across this on Bon Appétit a few days ago...looks a little much for me, but I've always made my grandma's traditional dishes.
spacer.gif

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/menu/views/sophisticated_seder

My sedar is:
Pate/ Egg Salad
Blueberry Charoset/ Gafilte Fish (I buy homemade from a local deli)
Matzo Ball Soup
Roasted Chicken/ Mushroom Brisket
Roasted Potatoes
Veggies
Creme Brulee/ flourless brownies

I came across this on Bon Appétit a few days ago...looks a little much for me, but I've always made my grandma's traditional dishes.
spacer.gif

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/menu/views/sophisticated_seder

My sedar is:
Pate/ Egg Salad
Blueberry Charoset/ Gafilte Fish (I buy homemade from a local deli)
Matzo Ball Soup
Roasted Chicken/ Mushroom Brisket
Roasted Potatoes
Veggies
Creme Brulee/ flourless brownies
Thanks so much - roasted potatoes are easier than potato pancakes, so that's a great idea !:boxing:-Sounds yummy and very ambitious!!!

I am also hosting it. We are having a turkey (BF is roasting) and a bunch of side dishes..not sure yet. For dessert, we are having a fruit tray, some passover loaf cakes (ready made), some passover yellow cake (mix) and then I am attempting to make some kind of flourless chocolate cake.

I am hosting my hubby's sister at our house who is also part of a mixed marriage like us (Christian/Jewish)-I am ordering passover seder from FreshDirect. I am getting a brisket, chicken, veggies, potatoes, matzoh ball soup, gelfilte fish, berry trifle and macaroons. We will also have salad and potato pancakes and of course, wine (don't forget to leave the cup for Elijah out). I am even getting a pre-made seder plate that already comes with the roasted egg, the bone, etc. etc..

In answer to the person who asked, "what's a seder?" (taken from wikipedia):

The Passover Seder (Hebrew: סֵדֶר, seðɛɾ, "order", "arrangement") is a Jewish ritual feast held on the first night of the Jewish holiday of PassoverNisan). Outside of Israel, the Seder is held twice, on the first day of Passover (the 15th and 16th days of Nisan). According to the Gregorian calendar, the holiday usually comes out in April. Families gather around the table on the night of Passover to read the Haggadah, the story of the Israelite exodus from Egypt. Seder customs include drinking of four cups of wine, eating matza and partaking of symbolic foods placed on the Passover Seder Plate. The Seder is a family ritual, although communal Seders are also organized by synagogues, schools and community centers. These Seders are usually open to the general public. With the Haggadah serving as a guide, the Seder is performed in much the same way all over the world.

The Seder is integral to Jewish faith and identity. If not for the Exodus, as explained in the Haggadah, the Jewish people would still be slaves in Egypt. (G-d Forbid!) Therefore, the Seder is an occasion for praise and thanksgiving. Often the Seder goes on until late at night, with the participants reading the Haggadah, studying the meaning of various passages, and singing special Passover songs.
(the 15th day of Hebrew month of
While many Jewish holidays revolve around the synagogue, the Seder is conducted in the family home. It is customary to invite guests, especially strangers and the needy. The Seder as family-based ritual is derived from a verse in the Bible: Vehigadta levincha' bayom hahu leymor ba'avur zeh asah Adonay li betzeysi miMitzrayim - "And you shall tell it to your son on that day, saying, 'Because of this God did for me when He took me out of Egypt'" (Exodus 13:8). The words and rituals of the Seder are a primary vehicle for the transmission of the Jewish faith from parent to child, and from one generation to the next.
Attending a Seder and eating matza on Passover is a widespread custom in the Jewish community, even among those who are not religiously observant.

You can use my mother's recipe for matzo ball soup. It's found on the box of Streit's Matzo Meal. Use clear chicken soup (2 cans). The secret to perfect matzo balls is:

Don't pack them too tightly, otherwise they come out like golf balls
Use a little extra peper
Feel free to add other seasonings. Dill works very nicely for extra flavor

My grandma (on my dad's side, not my Japanese grandma) always made brisket. My sisters have requested a seder dinner this year just to carry on the tradition and my crazy mom announced that she's making HAM, because she has one in the freezer :roflmfao:

Please don't make ham at yours, Suzy. It would be a huge faux pas :s

I just wanted to share that, because I thought it was hilarious!

we are having...

matzo ball soup
"breaded" chicken (breading is potato kugel mix) its really good
brisket
potato kugel
probably green beans
charoset
matzah
matzo rolls

for dessert its the regular treats plus chocolate chip cookies and carmel, chocolate and toffee covered matzah :biggrin:

My grandma (on my dad's side, not my Japanese grandma) always made brisket. My sisters have requested a seder dinner this year just to carry on the tradition and my crazy mom announced that she's making HAM, because she has one in the freezer :roflmfao:

Please don't make ham at yours, Suzy. It would be a huge faux pas :s

I just wanted to share that, because I thought it was hilarious!

A HAM for Passover? UMM, not good! LOL

we are having...

matzo ball soup
"breaded" chicken (breading is potato kugel mix) its really good
brisket
potato kugel
probably green beans
charoset
matzah
matzo rolls

for dessert its the regular treats plus chocolate chip cookies and carmel, chocolate and toffee covered matzah :biggrin:

Hmmm...Shay will you PM me your breaded chicken recipe?? Always looking for something new!