Back in the saddle again!

I rode Mimi last night. I am going to end up leasing her! :yahoo:She is a dutch warmblood. My mom told me she was an 8-9 year old Hanoverian but she got her info mixed up. She is really a 12 year old dutch warmblood. She is very well behaved and has wonderful barn manners. Also my old trainer that I trained with for years is her current trainer, so Mimi understands all my commands perfectly.

It was such a hard decision to make because Bootz was wonderful too, but I think since I am getting back into riding after taking some time off, a green horse like Bootz may be too much of a handful for now. Bootz would be a perfect horse once I build my confidence up and am eager to take on a challenge. I really wish I could lease both, but if I could afford that then I could afford to have my own horse. The sad thing about Mimi is that she is also up for sale so I hope I don’t get too bonded. Also hoping my husband falls in love with her so I can buy her. :girlsigh:(such wishful thinking)

I will take some pics of her next time I go down to the barn.

yayy congrats! :tup: i miss riding a lot. i used to be really into it growing up... now i live in NYC and the cost is just ridiculous. :cry:

i'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Mimi!

yayy congrats! :tup: i miss riding a lot. i used to be really into it growing up... now i live in NYC and the cost is just ridiculous. :cry:

i'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Mimi!

The costs are ridiculous here too. That’s why for now I can’t own a horse. It’s $600 just for a box stall. The prices keep going up and up every year too! There are about 500 horses at my barn and every stall is full. There is a very long waiting list to get in. It’s pretty crazy. :nuts: Then you have to add in training, farrier, supplements, etc, etc. if I ever want to own a horse again, I’d either have to move into its box stall or not pay my rent. lol.

They do have cheaper places to board horses around here but it’s usually in someone’s backyard and they don’t have lighted arenas. I don’t get off work until 6pm, so I am down at the barn late and need lighting.

I totally hear you! My boy (He is a Thoroughbred that I DNA Registered as an American Warmblood Registry Sporthorse.....here is the thread when I got him http://forum.purseblog.com/animalicious/i-just-got-yearling-colt-seattle-slews-grandson-205785.html and also http://forum.purseblog.com/animalicious/seattle-slews-grandbaby-presenting-amadeus-pics-206297.html ) is going to be 2 in May and I had been keeping him in a box stall for the last few months to get him fit, fat, and happy (He was a rescue......no I can't resist posting his before and after pics......I am soooooooooo in love with him:P and he was literally going to die before I rescued him)

Anyways, the stall is $525 per month with NO turnout, no blanketing services, no grain services, etc. I see that you are also in California like me and the reason boarding is so high lately is because hay prices have been INSANE for the last few months, it is $18 a bale of alfalfa in some parts...totally nuts. It is $60 extra per moth for turnout/blanket service. I supplement him on my own and it is around $20-$30 a month for Beet Pulp, LMF Development G, Platinum Performance and psyllium. Then it is $20 every other month for dewormer and $35 every six weeks to have his little baby hooves trimmed. Oh yes, and he had a $2000 surgery to geld him and close a small hernia. When he is full grown and being ridden the farrier charges at least $135 per shoeing every six weeks.

And this is NOTHING!! When I had my jumper (since sold) in full training I was paying around $2000 per month NOT including horse shows :wtf:

I got my 2 year old in tip top health and condition now so as of this week, he is SO HAPPY because he is in a 300' x 300' paddock/pasture where he can play to his heart's content. Babies really need to be outside and he loves it! I still go out to play with him and do groundwork and give him his supplements almost daily. I :heart: him to pieces even though horses mean WAAAAAYYYYY fewer purses :P

I am so happy for you finding your girl! I can't wait to see pics.

Attachments

• DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 21
Your guy is so adorable! His transformation into such a handsome guy has been amazing. I am so tempted to buy a foal and just keep him in a backyard somewhere paying about $250 a month. I can go down daily and groom him and turn him out. That’s pretty much all I can afford at this time, and I just want to be around horses even if it means I won’t be riding one for a few years. Sooner or later though, those babies begin to be just as expensive because the training begins. It has to be such a wonderful experience to see your baby grow up though and watch his progression.

I mentioned to DH last night that we should buy Mimi and then one day breed her. The price they are selling her for is pretty unbelievable. It’s like pretty much giving her away. I was looking online at Dutch stallions and found a beautiful pinto Dutch. I sent him the link and said, see if we breed Mimi we could come out with a 10k+ foal (even though I’d want to keep it) but he was smart and figured out all the costs to keep Mimi would be probably more.

Oh well, I am very thankful to at least ride again!

It has been SUCH a rewarding experience for me. My guy seems to just KNOW that I saved him. He is just so sweet and pleasant and he has really been pretty easy to work with. He was my first "baby" and the experience has been a positive one for me.......I am really lucky because he will be a phenominal hunter in the next few years down the line. His movement is TDF.

Yes, I am loving life now that he is in the massive paddock.....$250 per month and I don't have to worry about the turnout issue if I can't make it out every day.

Hurry and post pics of your lovely girl!

kristie, your guy is gorgeous and looks so healthy. props for rescuing him, it's such an awesome thing to do! looks like all your work and TLC paid off :love:

your signature makes me giggle :lol: he could totally rock a hermes saddle!

kristie, your guy is gorgeous and looks so healthy. props for rescuing him, it's such an awesome thing to do! looks like all your work and TLC paid off :love:

your signature makes me giggle :lol: he could totally rock a hermes saddle!

Yes he COULD rock a Hermes saddle if I had not bought a custom made French Antares a couple of months ago........BAD GIRL that I am.....they are even more expensive than a *gasp* Hermes! I am sooooooooo on a ban from everything!

He is actually not even going to be trained to be ridden until next spring when he is 3......it is a looooooong wait. I just ride all of the other horses at the barn.

You make it sound so easy! I will go out and buy a foal and it will be a little spitfire. My friend just got kicked in the ribs by her foal. Like all baby animals, they want to bite, kick up their heels and play.

My lease doesn’t start until the 15th. :sweatdrop: I will probably go down tonight though to say hi and will take some pictures of her in her stall.

yay! I was going to suggest the mare for you since you cannot spend as much time with her but scrolling down, you already chose her. Very happy for you. Can't wait to see pics. I'm pulling for you to be able to buy her...she sounds like a great animal.

hes adorable! congrats on getting back into it.. im in the same position.... i had to put my horse down 2 years ago after having him for 15 years :crybaby: im hoping to get back into it soon... theres nothing like that relationship... congrats again!

You make it sound so easy! I will go out and buy a foal and it will be a little spitfire. My friend just got kicked in the ribs by her foal. Like all baby animals, they want to bite, kick up their heels and play.

Yes, I feel VERY fortunate that he is just a sweet natured boy *in general* He has had his moments though that were VERY trying......we have a very strong bond together and I think that is part of it, he just absolutely trusts me and that I will never put him in a situation where he needs to be scared and panic or be really aggressive and/or dangerous like horses definitely can be. He is a lot better than many adult horses I have had. I felt with him, he was a "clean slate" because he was a baby and NO ONE had ever worked with him whatsoever prior to me taking him. Therefore, I figured if his training went awry or he wound up with a screw loose, I could only blame myself because only I have done all of his training.

This was at his "worst" through no fault of his own.

http://forum.purseblog.com/animalic...bes-my-rescue-thoroughbred-colt-226627-3.html