What’s in your bottle of perfume

Thank You for posting this Duncan. I found it fascinating,if not a little unappetizing !

Thanks for reopening this thread Kellybag. I wonder if Jean Claude Ellena uses any civet in his Hermes scents?

Thank You for posting this Duncan. I found it fascinating,if not a little unappetizing !

Thanks for reopening this thread Kellybag. I wonder if Jean Claude Ellena uses any civet in his Hermes scents?

Natural civet musk has been banned worldwide for more than a decade, perfume manufacturers use synthetic civet, and yes modern versions of old time classics have this ingredient changed. I used to work in such a company, on days the factory made synthetic civet, the whole estate stank like a junkyard!

I have one other thing to add...some perfumes have a benzene ring as part of their molecular make up and Benzene is carcinogenic....

Benzene rings are in many different structures like toluene which is used in glue and as the alternative to benzene these days. Beneze by itself would be a carcinogen and it's very unlikely this is the case.

I think toluene is also a carcinogen. HOWEVER, in order to have an issue, one myst be exposed to a large dose over a long time period. Not the case with perfume - or most other things, frankly. There is a law in Calif. that anything containing certain designated carcinogens must have a label saying so. The list is HUGE, benzene is definitely on it. I've never seen any Prop 65 notice on any perfumes or related products.

I think toluene is also a carcinogen. HOWEVER, in order to have an issue, one myst be exposed to a large dose over a long time period. Not the case with perfume - or most other things, frankly. There is a law in Calif. that anything containing certain designated carcinogens must have a label saying so. The list is HUGE, benzene is definitely on it. I've never seen any Prop 65 notice on any perfumes or related products.

Toluene has a small percentage of metabolites that are carcinogenic, but overall it's fairly safe...you'd have to sniff or drink quick a bit of have an effect (ah it has a great smell though)

I agree. I was just stating I highly doubt any perfume would use these chemicals and I've never seen a prop 65 on any beauty products that are sold to the general masses.