Platform CLs and foot pain?

boston girl

Dec 22, 2007
I wore a pair of patent Iowa Zeppa's to an event two days ago and spent about 5 hours standing and/or walking. Though the shoes looked great, the balls of my feet were killing me by the end of the evening! They still hurt today, even in flat shoes... the balls of my feet feel bruised and tender. This doesn't happen to me in my non-platform heels. Is this to be expected with platforms? Do your feet eventually get used this kind of shoe? I'm worried, because I love the shoes. They didn't give me blisters and they are the correct size. It's just the lingering bruised feeling that's bumming me out... it doesn't make me want to wear them... or, once I forget the pain, will I love them again??

Despite the Iowa Zeppa having a platform, I think these particular shoes are just high, with a major pitch. It might not be the platform itself, but perhaps just getting used to standing in the shoe. Sky-high 120mm (I believe these are) CLs force your foot to arch so much, that sometimes (I find) you are subconsciously forcing weight on the balls of your feet (keeping weight towards the center of your body) to stay balanced. Maybe try to "re-train" your stance and keep even pressure evenly distributed. I hope this makes sense... :smile:

Personally, I feel that if the heel is high enough, there is going to be some degree of ball-of-foot discomfort. After all, nearly all of your weight is being forced forward. If you're not used to wearing high heels, your feet should get used to this. What I would try, though, is some ball-of-foot cushions (if it won't make them fit too tightly). Good ones, like Foot Petals, Dr. Scholl's, or Kiwi; they won't completely erase the pain, but they do help. Also, some people swear by Insolia insoles, which claim to shift some of the weight back towards your heels. I put them in all my high heels.
To answer your question, yes, you will love the shoes again. They're too beautiful not to! But maybe you just won't reach for them next time you'll be standing/walking for hours on end, which is okay. We all have shoes that are strictly car-to-dinner shoes. HTH!

5 hours is a lonnnggg time to be standing and/or walking period! :P I think any shoe that high if you're standing or walking for that long will hurt. They're gorgeous shoes so I'm sure you will love them again. I would recommend just not wearing them for such a long time and you'll be fine.:yes:

Anytime I wear really high heels (aka hells) and stand/walk for a moderate to long time I have this problem! :lol: I just suck it up because I love shoes. I also try to wear my more bearable shoes if I know I'm going to have to be standing or walking a lot. My newest trick is always having a pair of foldable flats in my bag. Sometimes I wear the flats until I'm at the event and I change shoes at the last minute. At the end of the event I slip back into my flats.

Honestly, if you were on your feet for 5 hours you can expect that kind of pain. I don't think I would have made it!!! You are hard core! By the way, I love the Iowa Zeppa. I have the Iowa and now I wish I had gone for the Iowa Zeppa. Maybe I'll find a pair someday.

Thanks All for the advice! I know, 5 hours was WAY, WAY too long for these babies. My common sense was obviously blurred once I stood in the mirror looking at my shiny new Zeppa's looking back at me!! Oh well, I won't do that again. I will also try the Insolia product mentioned. At least now I know I'm not the only one to be affected this way by my super high CLs. And yes, these will join the ranks of my car-to-dinner shoes, for sure!

I've done the same thing. I wanted to wear my new CLs so badly, that I decided to wear them to watch a basketball game. Needless to say, I ended up doing a lot of walking in the parking lot, up and down the stadium steps, etc... I was in pain. My husband made fun of me, but admitted that at least I looked cute! :supacool::supacool:

You know what's interesting is that I have two platform CLs, Yoyo Zeppas and Very Prive. The VP are like a dream and dont hurt at all, but the YZ for some reason do! I dont get blisters either but it's just like an achey sore feeling I get when wearing them. Weird that they are both platform but the uncovered one (like yours) hurts while the other doesn't. Maybe there's a reason? :shrugs: