Travel Italia! All things all Italy!

^ Thats correct but are you sure you have to pay custom fees? I thought it had something to do with EFTA. I buy things from Switzerland regularly and I have never paid any custom fees or taxes (which is why I keep on buying from Switzerland. I would never do it if I had to pay extra for it) and the swedish customs are thought, they go through every package.

She recommended we ship to Rome since I'm going to be there. I never thought to ask her at the time about custom fees. But now I wonder if she recommended that cause there isn't any.
Thanks for your responses!

Does anyone know what the custom fees are to Italy?
I am thinking about having a alligator bag made in Switzerland & then having it sent into
Rome to my hotel when I am there in October. Yes, it wil have a Cites certificate.
I can't get a straight answer out of DHL or Fed Ex on the shipping to the US.
I know I'd have to pay entry on it when I come back to US.

I'm from Italy and i often go to Switzerland...no doubt there are custom fees to pay between Italy and Switzerland. Plus, consider that Italy charges higher custom fees than Switzerland or US. I would even suggest to check about import rules before have it shipped from Switzerland to Rome because of the ALLIGATOR skin...we have quite restrictive rules here :sweatdrop:

You don't have to pay any customs fees between Switzerland and Italy.

Wish you were right!:flowers:

^ Not true. Switzerland is not a member of the European Union.

:tup: That's correct! :heart:

^ Thats correct but are you sure you have to pay custom fees? I thought it had something to do with EFTA. I buy things from Switzerland regularly and I have never paid any custom fees or taxes (which is why I keep on buying from Switzerland. I would never do it if I had to pay extra for it) and the swedish customs are thought, they go through every package.

I purchased from Switzerland both personally and having items shipped by post...both ways you have to pay custom fees IF THE ITEM SHIPPED EXCEEDS A CERTAIN VALUE (not the case of an alligator bag). Sometimes,when i go to Switzerland by car or train,i'm so lucky not to be stopped by custom and to avoid custom,but these are rare exceptions :yes:

My parents never paid custom fees on the Swiss/Italy border, but they are EU citizens. It might be different if you are from somewhere else.

Same as above...and i'm an european citizen as well :P:heart:

Now someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is a Gucci outlet and maybe even a Fendi (or is it Prada) out let in Florence?? It's hugely discounted gucci at like 60% off.... I'll post back here - I have a friend who is flying specifically for the outlet later this year. I'll let you know!!

we went 3 yrs ago and are going back in May:woohoo:
You're getting great advice.
We loved visiting Murano and Burano while in Venice:yes:
Bought lots of beautiful handmade lace there.

Vivoli's in Florence for gelato - I think it is near Santa Croce? But I could be wrong, lol... haven't been there for a while. In Rome, I second Giolittis! It is near the Pantheon, so you can hit a bit sight and get a great snack. The trick I was always told was don't eat gelato from a place that doesn't serve fresh banana gelato - it should be gray, not yellow.

The outlets you may not be able to fit in if you are on a tour that only gives you brief bits of free time. It is a bit of a drive but there are places that charter buses to take you to all the designer outlets - BV, Gucci, Prada, Tods, D&G, etc - from both Rome and Florence. Something to look into if you find you have enough time.

I hope you have a great trip!

I've only been to Venice and it was so much fun! We went to Murano and I would say it was worth it. However, don't spend much money on getting out there- our hotel had a free water taxi deal- and don't buy glass in Murano! Take a tour of the factories and watch them blow glass, but be aware that glass products are priced a good 30% or more above Venice city prices on the island.