My Matinee Tassel Modification Experiment **pics**

^The leather is pretty strong and stretchy, so after a little tug-o-war it slipped off the rivet. After I realized that what I was doing was successful, I cut the other rivets off using an exacto knife.

I did try to pry apart the rivets first, but they do not budge. This was the next best option. :tup:

wow! you did an amazing job!!! very crafty!! i like the look of the long tassels on my matinee and thats what made me fall inlove with it in the first place, so i dont think i would be cutting mine. :yes:;)

Alright, I don't want to send anyone into purse surgery with the wrong tools, so this is a pic of the tool I am talking about. It's actually just called a hole punch, but sometimes you can get them in a kit with eyelet setters and they come with several different head sizes.

All you do is find the right sized head, place it on the tassel where you want the hole to be, then tap the top of the tool a couple of times with a hammer. Since you are cutting through leather, you have to tap it pretty hard. Also, I recommend doing this on top of a cutting mat or other surface that you don't want to imprint with a little circle.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/memato.html
bevfabriccrafts_1996_188683756

Ahhh Kooba lover thank you for posting this tool!!!! I ordered one up and I am goignt ot do this to my balenciaga bags as well!!!! !!!! :yahoo:

I took my "new" Matinee out and about today - and I have to say, I am so happy with it's new look. Maybe I'll do some modeling pics tomorrow. Thanks again for your kind words, gals!

Ahhh Kooba lover thank you for posting this tool!!!! I ordered one up and I am goignt ot do this to my balenciaga bags as well!!!! !!!! :yahoo:

MrsShoeGal, you are quite brave to perform surgery on a Bbag! Are you planning on adding hardware to the end of the tassel then too? Please tell! I am very intrigued!!!

^The leather is pretty strong and stretchy, so after a little tug-o-war it slipped off the rivet. After I realized that what I was doing was successful, I cut the other rivets off using an exacto knife.

I did try to pry apart the rivets first, but they do not budge. This was the next best option. :tup:

When you say you 'cut the other rivets off using an Exacto knife', what do you mean? I understand about slipping the leather off the rivet, but you lost me with the 'other rivets'...