Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

ITA....my silk-painting instructor really was against it...those chemicals can be hard on the silk proteins in the long run....I use LeBlanc silk wash...

good luck!

I decided to wash my scarf today. Previously I had sent it to the dry-cleaners and it came back ironed-to-death, included flat hems. Not good.

I bought Lux Soap Flakes from the supermarket. It said for silks and delicate fabrics. Dissolved some soap flakes in a bucket using boilng water. Than I added cold water. Put the scarf in and swished it around for 5mins, whilst watching the clock. When I poured the water away, there was only a very faint tint of colour. I had expected it to run like crazy. Continued to rinse the scarf in fresh cold water 3 times. Than carefully rolled it between a towel to get rid of creases and water. Left it to dry flat.

Turned out fine. Looks like Hermes scarves are pretty durable. This is much better as opposed to dry cleaning.

Intersting to see this thread...

I came home yesterday seeing my Hermes scarf on the drying rack. Rushed out and found it all wet. My stupid maid saw it sitting next to my bag and took the liberty of "machine-wash" it along with my other cashmere shawl. The colors of the shawl ran but amazingly the Hermes scarf survived...:tup:

Intersting to see this thread...

I came home yesterday seeing my Hermes scarf on the drying rack. Rushed out and found it all wet. My stupid maid saw it sitting next to my bag and took the liberty of "machine-wash" it along with my other cashmere shawl. The colors of the shawl ran but amazingly the Hermes scarf survived...:tup:

FIRE HER!!:censor:

If anything like that happened to my Hermes cashmere shawl, I don't like to think what I might do to the person responsible!!!! She'd have to work for me many months for free to reimburse me for the loss (assuming I hadn't killed her at the time I discovered what had happened!!!!).

Ah! my heart is going pitter patter so quickly right now! I have the mental image of a cashmere shawl being shoved into a washing machine and it's just too much to take!:sad: At least she didn't shrink it to Barbie size in the dryer! Scarf too, hot dryer Oy!

Can I ask you ladies what kind of detergent you use for scarfs? I think someone said Woolite or Dreft. But then comes my question. Which kind of woolite and Draft? The ones for colors or not?

Ah! my heart is going pitter patter so quickly right now! I have the mental image of a cashmere shawl being shoved into a washing machine and it's just too much to take!:sad: At least she didn't shrink it to Barbie size in the dryer! Scarf too, hot dryer Oy!

Haha, that's exactly what I had in my mind... thanks God that she didn't put them in the dryer...

I couldn't fire the maid for ruining my shawl (had gone through a lot to bring her in from Indonesia) but I've made sure that she'd learned her lessons. :graucho:

My boutique recommends TIE CRAFTERS - tie cleaning, tie alterations,custom made ties, custom ties, scarf cleaning in NYC, and it's the only place I've ever sent my scarves (they've been there for decades.) I send them by mail, and although it's a little expensive, they come back in perfect shape with plump hems.

I send all of my things to Tie Crafters. I just got back 2 scarves and it was $25/each to clean them, but they look impeccable. I like to wear my scarves as a little shrug over dresses and long sleeve tees (where you fold them in half inside out and tie a tiny knot in each corner and flip them right side out again). When you tie the knots, it wreaks havoc on the silk - totally wrinkly and messy. Tie Crafters always gets them looking brand new and keeps the fluffy, hand-stitched hem intact. If you live near an Hermes boutique, they will send the scarves for you.

Hello, I am new to the group and so interested in the posts! have learned more this evening than in the past few years, thanks to all!
Now my question - I just purchased a lovely Napoleon, the dark blue border.
It is in mint condition, except that it has some perfume marks. I am very brave about hand washing, my only reservation is the dark blue border.
I have two questions:
Perfume stains have not been addressed in the thread, to my knowledge. Is there any product that anyone would particularly recommend against perfume?
Also, someone just asked about the kind of woolite that is designed specifically for colors, which I have used successfully on other items. Does anyone have any experience with it for the scarves?

Re the relative gentle-ness of woolite: I recently had my veins done, and the nurse practitioner told me never to use woolite on the elastic stockings that I had to wear for a few days. She said although it is very gentle on silks and other fabrics, it is death on elastic. Thought I 'd add that to the pot of information.

Thanks for any help or suggestions re my questions!

Reactions: rainyc
I'm bumping this thread because I need the information and not having the search function available is driving me crazy. Hope some others need this information now as well.

Ktown and Gina, the powder is called "Terre de Sommieres". Perhaps it will help you Ktwon. I received this tip from a scarf collector I very much admire and trust blindly when it comes to Hermes scarves.

hello, small world yet again - I live very near Sommières! I havn't tried the 'terre' on scarves yet, but so far I've had excellent results lifting grease stains off more or less anything from leather to stone floors...Will definitely try it out next time!

Many thanks to all the expert advice on this thread - did my first hand wash yesterday with beautiful results (heart pounding away with fear all the way through though!)

I've just ordered the color catchers and Le Blanc silk wash to do my first hand wash. Somehow I managed to spill a bit of coffee on my new Reve D' Australie.:whistle: Wish me luck, I'm really nervous about doing this but I tried the best dry cleaner around within 50 miles on another scarf and I wasn't happy at all.