Toronto U students?!

nextnewface

Mar 1, 2006
Hey guys! I just got the opportunity to apply for a scolarship.... to spend a year studying at Toronto University :nuts: I don't know if I will get it, but I'd just like to hear about the school, and the campus. What is it like? How's the student life? What about classes... how do you like it there?

This is all really a spur of the moment thing. My program director emailed me to let me know about the scolarship and I decided to apply... So any information, stories, tidbits about Toronto U would really help me.... I know I might not get it, but I'd really like to have some time to think about it, because then everything will go very quick and I'll have to make a decision soon.

Even if I don't get picked, a few of my friends applied to so if they do, I would be able to tell them more about it :smile:

Thanks so much in advance!!! :shame:

I don't go to UT but I'm from the area and I have a lot of friends that go there. It's a huge school, so I've heard a lot of people say that they feel lost and just part of the mass. It's also a major commuter school, and from what I've heard there isn't too much campus unity (but that might be a bit biased, since most of the people I know are also commuters). The school's reputation is impeccable, so I think doing a year there would be a really amazing experience. What will you be studying? Also, I think the Mcleans university ratings issue is out right now (I saw it at my school's bookstore just a few days ago), so that might be worth checking out for some extra insight. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get you some answers through my friends.

Thanks for the replies :smile: I'm studying in International Relations (so I take mostly Politics, Economics and Law related classes)... do you know if U of T is reputable when it comes to that field?

Also, I'm currently studying at a huge university (I don't know how it compares, but there are supposedly 35 000 + students here, which sounds absolutely insane! lol but probably only half of that coming to classes on campus), so I guess it might be comparable. I'll check the McLean's ratings issue, I think I have last year's somewhere back at home!

What about the student life though?? I suppose there are plenty of things to do, since it's such a big school?

Yikes... I'm having such a hard time writing the motivation letter... not in the right mood at the moment :Push:

Once again, thanks so much for the insight :yahoo::love:

Well..my sister goes there - I don't know much about it though but she likes it there. I'm pretty sure theres alot to do around there since it's right in the heart of downtown.

If you decide to apply, Good Luck!! :biggrin:

I go to UofT.

It's in the heart of Downtown, very close to Bloor street (LOTS of shopping!) seriously, with a 10 min from campus you will reach Chanel, LV, Gucci, Prada, Hermes, and best of all Holt Renfrew!

Many people on campus carry nice bags! mostly LV and Gucci, but you will find the occasional Balenciaga and YSL.

It a very large campus, seriously.. its HUGE.. you will have a lot to explore. There are some new building near Victoria college side of the campus which are very nice.

First year classes can have up to 1500 students in one study hall, then it starts to quickly dwindle 2,3,4th year.
Classes are generally pretty helpful, but you really have to do the required readings if you want to do well.
If you want reference letters, make sure to introduce yourself to the professor at the beginning of the class, and find excuses to talk to them during the year, generally profs don't give our letters of recommendation easily at UofT.

Definitely join some clubs if you want to meet friends, its hard to meet friends just from class. As a poster before me said, it's easy to feel lost and lonely, just try to stay positive, lol! Take advantage of all the facilities, with a UofT ID card, everything on campus is open to you.

are you living on campus?

I have cousins who go there and they love it. Very easy to get to and a beautiful campus. Unfortunatley its VERY close to Bloor st. and i can ba very distracting LOL. I go to the University of MN and like U of T is a very large school (i believe the 2nd largest in the country) and i don't find myself feeling like a worker bee in a hive. KWIM. YOu find your own niche. Have you traveled to canada b4. Its a lot more different than america than people think.

Feel free to PM me with any qs you have as I'm a toronto native and would be happy to help.
GL on you scholarship

I went to UofT, st. George Campus and I studied History, EAS and Sociology there. Their Social Science and Humanities programs are quite good, I think. I really enjoyed my time there and I loved the campus...it's smack in the middle of the city! If you don't mind Canadian weather, it's not a bad place to be! The shopping, food, and clubbing scene is good. If you put yourself out there, there are quite a few student activity groups that you can join. I was a member of Unique (Asian group)and I met some friends there.

Check it out! I had a blast there! First year is full of big classes...but the numbers drastically decrease after year 1. It's a very diverse campus with people from all over. Have fun!

I don't go there but 4 years ago, I was about to because the buildings are just so darn beautiful. Unfortunately that wasn't a good enough reason so I chose another school instead. Lots of history and massive.

I went to UofT, st. George Campus and I studied History, EAS and Sociology there. Their Social Science and Humanities programs are quite good, I think. I really enjoyed my time there and I loved the campus...it's smack in the middle of the city! If you don't mind Canadian weather, it's not a bad place to be! The shopping, food, and clubbing scene is good. If you put yourself out there, there are quite a few student activity groups that you can join. I was a member of Unique (Asian group)and I met some friends there.

Check it out! I had a blast there! First year is full of big classes...but the numbers drastically decrease after year 1. It's a very diverse campus with people from all over. Have fun!

WOW! What a smallll world!! I went to St. George Campus (Vic actually) and studied EAS, Sociology and Political Science. I ended up switching to a History but that's so funny! Same areas!