treating mj bags with stain/water repellent

do you treat your mj calfskin bags with a stain or water repellent?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

tomato4

Aug 3, 2007
i ran a search but i still cant find an definitive answer on whether or not i should treat my bags with some sort of repellent. if i do should i use apple? i just wanted to see if most of you guys spray your bags with stuff or not.

marc jacobs does not recommend treating their bags in any way- if you really want to treat it- call your local boutique and they will recommend a professional who can do if for you.

that being said- i have treated every marc jacobs bag i have ever owned (quilted, patchwork, smooth calf, mix quilted line, striping line, dark and light colors) with applegarde rain and stain repellent. i have cleaned them with applegarde cleaner and treated them with applegarde leather care (conditioner) and all of them are in perfect condition.

one tip- if you spray your bag with the rain/ stain repellent if may look darker/ blotchy for a little while... don't have a heart attack, i repeat DO NOT freak out haha- it happens on some of the smoother leathers and lighter colors.

like i said, this is just my experience and my opinion- i hope it helps.:tup:

One of the reasons MJ doesn't encourage treating your bag is becuz they're made to age & improve w/use & weathering - Some people like that look, but I think most people like to keep their bags as new looking as possible & treat them accordingly. I decide to treat my bags based on the leather & color. If it's a softer bag with smooth leather in a lighter color, I'll treat it to protect it from water stains & damage - but if it's a darker bag (esp black) I don't usually water-proof it - I do use my conditioning lotion on almost every bag I own. I find that it improves the texture and smooths unwanted scuffs & minor scratches

I also haven't waterproofed any of the bags I recently got (Mina, Patchwork Stam, Quilted Stam) - they seem to be coated somehow and already protected - I don't think addtl protection is necessary.

I've never treated any of my MJs, or my Balenciagas for that matter, with any rain repellent... but then again, it doesn't really rain where I live. This past rainy season my bags held up really well with no water spots despite the lack of treatment.

I do condition my bags with Apple Garde when they look thirsty, but other than that, I only clean them with alcohol/lanolin free baby wipes. I tried using Apple Garde cleaner on my Maroon ZC once, and to my horror it lifted up a lot of color. I've never used it since.

The MJ SAs don't recommend treatment because supposedly the leather is already treated.

I've also tried Cole Haan conditioner/cleaner with success, and I've heard good things about Wilson products.

I've read that Coach cleaner can leave a residue on the leather which can turn yellow over time.

Okay, so I just ordered a couple products from Lovin' My Bags. I ordered the "for handles only" and the luxury leather cleaner. Anyone have any experience with these products? I ran a search but ended up in the B-Bag forum, which is great, because that is fab leather but still not the same leather as MJ bags. I wonder if the cleanser lifts up ink...anyone have any idea?

ive been looking at their products and there are so many. i dont know which ones to get! the handle thing looks good and perhaps a cleanser...

oh and i was wondering if it wouldbe bad to mix brands of leather care. ie lovin by bag handles with apple garde cleaner.