~The SHIPPING from Canada to USA thread~ vat, fees, couriers etc...

Expedited usually takes 11 business days to ship to USA from Canada. Often times, if we send by regular airmail, it can get there sooner (but with no tracking number and no protection for seller or buyer)

Canada Post is really lazy though, the tracking will only confirm that the package has been accepted at the post office, and then will only update once it reaches your city and is "out for delivery" at your mail processing plant, and then "delivered" when it gets to your doorstep.

I've had lots of US buyers worry about this, but it's just the way Canada Post's system is. If you're lucky, they'll update you on when the item hits customs (additional 1-2 days). So I would say don't worry, as long as it's been accepted into a post office (on the tracking, it shows) your package will arrive soon :smile:

Credibility = I usually ship to USA buyers using Expedited with tracking.

It all depends, I'm from Canada and it all depends on your luck if customs decides whether or not to pick your parcel.

Oh, if it is sent by UPS, chances are you will be charged for something.

hi- first of all- where r u form? usa i presume.

in my experience- shipping to usa form canada is quite smooth and easy- u do not have the same duty fees we do here in canada. just shipe express, registered and tracking... insurance on high value items. thats it. goodluck!

I've been trying to figure this out too and am getting conflicting info. Supposedly Nafta comes into play. I looked at the US Tariff's chart and it had a bunch of countries where duty is not charged for handbags over $20 in value and Canada (CA) was one of them. I just dealt with customs on a bag I bought from France and it was a royal pain so wanted to check this out before I bid. Anyone selling/buying handbags and shipping from Canada to the US, do you know the regs and typical costs? This would be a high end (over $1k) bag. TIA

It as nothing to do with the country you purchased the bag from, it is where the bag was manufactured.
So, if you bought a handbag for $450 from Canada, BUT it was manufactured in France or Italy, then customs would apply.
Yes, the U.S. has a $200 exemption. Any purchase valued over that, would be eligible for fees/duty/taxes.

The seller has absolutely no control over the buyer's home country's government customs. It is the responsibility of the buyer to research this info and understand exactly what they may be facing by importing an item into their country.

I've been trying to figure this out too and am getting conflicting info. Supposedly Nafta comes into play. I looked at the US Tariff's chart and it had a bunch of countries where duty is not charged for handbags over $20 in value and Canada (CA) was one of them. I just dealt with customs on a bag I bought from France and it was a royal pain so wanted to check this out before I bid. Anyone selling/buying handbags and shipping from Canada to the US, do you know the regs and typical costs? This would be a high end (over $1k) bag. TIA

Application of taxes, fees and customs on international shipments is difficult to pin down because they tend to be applied randomly. Someone will purchase an item for $800.00 had have it arrive without any additional fees while another person will be assessed fees on a $500.00 item. Sometimes it depends on the carrier - UPS charges a brokerage fee on top of everything else. The Free Trade Agreement does apply to where an item is manufactured but, from my experience, the application of fees is based on where an item was shipped from.

I like to know which is the safest and least expensive courier to ship from Canada to US. Canada Post do not have the signature confirmation feature so thats out of the question. Thank you.

Be careful with UPS. They charge usurious brokerage fees. I don't know about DHL. I have shipped all my U.S. deliveries using Canada Post. They do not offer signature confirmation to U.S. deliveries but they do provide tracking, delivery confirmation and insurance. I have never had any problems with Canada Post - USPS deliveries.

Be careful with UPS. They charge usurious brokerage fees. I don't know about DHL. I have shipped all my U.S. deliveries using Canada Post. They do not offer signature confirmation to U.S. deliveries but they do provide tracking, delivery confirmation and insurance. I have never had any problems with Canada Post - USPS deliveries.

Since it is a transaction over 250.00, I don't think I would have paypal seller protection if I don't have signature confirmation. I agree Canada Post is usually the best method.