Suburban Sprawl

Minnie05

BagsBagsBagsBags!!!
Feb 28, 2007
http://theslowhome.com/blog/whatisslowhome/

1. GO INDEPENDENT Avoid homes by big developers and large production builders. They are designed for profit not people. Work with independent designers and building contractors instead.

2. GO LOCAL
Avoid home finishing products from big box retailers. The standardized solutions they provide cannot fit the unique conditions of your home. Use local retailers, craftspeople, and manufacturers to get a locally appropriate response and support your community.

3. GO GREEN
Stop the conversion of nature into sprawl. Don’t buy in a new suburb. The environmental cost can no longer be justified. Re-invest in existing communities and use sustainable materials and technologies to reduce your environmental footprint.

4. GO NEAR
Reduce your commute. Driving is a waste of time and the new roads and services required to support low density development is a big contributor to climate change. Live close to where you work and play.

5. GO SMALL
Avoid the real estate game of bigger is always better. A properly designed smaller home can feel larger AND work better than a poorly designed big one. Spend your money on quality instead of quantity.

6. GO OPEN
Stop living in houses filled with little rooms. They are dark, inefficient, and don’t fit the complexity of our daily lives. Live in a flexible and adaptive open plan living space with great light and a connection to outdoors.

7. GO SIMPLE
Don’t buy a home that has space you won’t use and things you don’t need. Good design can reduce the clutter and confusion in your life. Create a home that fits the way you really want to live.

8. GO MODERN
Avoid fake materials and the re-creation of false historical styles. They are like advertising images and have little real depth. Create a home in which character comes from the quality of space, natural light and the careful use of good, sustainable materials.

9. GO HEALTHY
Avoid living in a public health concern. Houses built with cheap materials off gas noxious chemicals. Suburbs promote obesity because driving is the only option. Use natural, healthy home materials and building techniques. Live where you can walk to shop, school and work.

10. GO FOR IT
Stop procrastinating. The most important, and difficult, step in the slow home process is the first one that you take. Get informed and then get involved with your home. Every change, no matter how small, is important.

Great post. It shocks me how many people never bother to research what developer they're buying from: if he's ethical, responsible, sustainable, etc. Totally amazing.

Great Article! I never understand the rationale of buying bigger houses an hour from the city, and spending the majority of your time commuting too and from work in the city.

You never spend enough time at home to enjoy it, or when you are home, you are too tired from the commute to do anything

In some areas, its an economic decision, can't afford housing in the city, but in my area, it is the mentality bigger is better.

Very interesting article. except that part where you live close to work and play.

Its pretty easy getting a job in the big city, but the cost of living is also very high.

also, living here in MD (which I think of as the south since I am from the New England) there is no way around without driving.

But I definitely agree with supporting local craftsman and retailers.

Very interesting article. except that part where you live close to work and play.

Its pretty easy getting a job in the big city, but the cost of living is also very high.

also, living here in MD (which I think of as the south since I am from the New England) there is no way around without driving.

But I definitely agree with supporting local craftsman and retailers.
I agree. I'm also confused by some of the points they make, like: Go Near, but Go Green? I don't understand if they're saying you should live in the city, live in the older more established suburbs, or live in the country... I technically live in the burbs, but my town is old and very rural. I think there's environmental advantages and disadvantages no matter where you live-- it's all about using common sense IMO. :shrugs:

I always have to be careful who I say it around because I could offend a lot of people saying this, but I'd rather live in a box under a bridge than live in a suburb. I'm a city girl all the way! But each to his own. My house is over 100 years old.

^ I'm the opposite and I'm not offended by that at all :flowers:

The only city I've lived in is Philadelphia and I lived in a baaad neighborhood, so it was very stressful for me. I'm definitely a country mouse, not a city mouse, but I agree-- to each his own :amuse:

Great thread. I've always been a fan of older homes. Last year we bought a house that was built in the 50's. The quality of older homes is so much better. Not sure about the rest of the country but the newer homes out here(CO) are garbage. A friend of ours bought a new home a few years ago and the thing is already falling apart.

I bought my home close to the city and public transport and then my job (like many in the DC area) moved from the city to the exurbs :sad: Go figure!
My job is now in the boonies inconvenient to public transport near all the McMansions and my 1.5 hr total daily commute changed to 3 - 3.5 hours! This sucks especially as we move toward $4 a gallon in gas. But I get to telecommute one day a week at least.

Great Article! I never understand the rationale of buying bigger houses an hour from the city, and spending the majority of your time commuting too and from work in the city.

You never spend enough time at home to enjoy it, or when you are home, you are too tired from the commute to do anything

In some areas, its an economic decision, can't afford housing in the city, but in my area, it is the mentality bigger is better.

...a co-worker of mine recently moved to the far, far boonies so she and her BF could have more house for their money. But the commute blows (Seattle area is really behind the curve on public transportation, a true embarrassment).

Now she is actually leaving our company so she can run her BF's business which is a green contruction company and drop that awful commute. She is a true example of living green and I really admire what she and her BF are doing!!