One of my pet peeves...

I don't mind texts that are abbreviated.
I own a business and with several managers sending 100's of texts a week I like them kept as short as possible to keep my phone bills down.

Doesn't bother me, neither does double exclamation or pretty much any of that...I figure everyone has their own typing pattern, just like a speech pattern. It adds to their 'personality'.

LOL...I find interesting what bothers some may not bother others!!! I will say that I will get texts from my younger family members that are in college and they really use slang!! I have to read it twice to understand!! If its someone my age, I get it. I do not like reading forum posts in slang.

It's hard to have an intelligent conversation in slang!

I use it for text messages because usually there is a limit or a charge for each character.
With emails/messages or on forums I just can't stand it either, and I've got no idea what some people are saying/trying to say.

:yucky:

I do use u or ur when im typing fast from time to time. But I do try not to. It doesnt bother me though, these short abbreviations like KWIM do a bit though because sometimes I have no idea what they stand for and spend about 10 minutes trying to figure it out. I have a friend who pretty much cuts every word in half when she texts - it takes a lot of guessing to actually figure out what she has said and many times I will have my other friend call me up and ask what she meant - its that bad!

I find myself having to look up acronyms all the time because I'm not sure what they are. I hate acronyms at work because they are overused. Everything is a goll durned acronym it drives me crazy. It is kind of amusing though when someone spouts out a whole sentence of business speak and you can't understand anything they said. I dont' have any problem telling them that I didn't understand anything they said and could they please say it again in English.

My only pet peeve when it comes to written language use is when someone doesn't use a hyphen when they write co-worker. My weird brain and sense of humor always turned it into cow-orker and that just sounds wrong on so many levels!

With spoken language, I'm bugged when someone repeatedly says "Ya know what I'm saying?" over and over as punctuation. Just bugs me.

I am one of those dinosaurs who not only dislikes abbreviations, but also dislikes poor and incorrect grammar. Evolving language or not, there are still some rules! Common misspellings also irk me because everyone over age 10 ought to know the difference between to, too and two or their and they're.

On a message board like this, grammatical errors or typos aren't a big deal. I make them and almost everyone else does at some point, too. But when I see errors in formal letters, advertising or in newspapers I really get annoyed! Newspapers and advertisers pay editors to avoid those things.

Oh, and this makes me, recall, the, excessive use, of commas, by some posters, here. :lol: