Tee or Teh

triggerpuff

from B to H...
Dec 22, 2007
Just curious... have heard it pronouced both ways, with a "tee" or a "teh"... so which is right? Bo-Tee-ga or Bo-teh-ga?

Singaporeans tend to pronouce the brands wrongly. :shame:

Other examples of wrong pronoucations are:
Louis Vuitton - "Lewis Vee-Turn" or "Lewis Ver-Ton"
Hermes - "Her-miss"

Read in some magazines that the above should be pronouced as:
LV - "Loo-ee Wee-Tong"
Hermes - "Eh-Mess"

Anyone have anymore to share?

Given that the "i" in Italian is the long "ee" pronunciation, and the "e" is usually an "eh" pronunciation, I would say it's Boh-teh-gah, or Boh-tae-gah.

But for the price you're paying for the item, you should be able to call it whatever you want!

Given that the "i" in Italian is the long "ee" pronunciation, and the "e" is usually an "eh" pronunciation, I would say it's Boh-teh-gah, or Boh-tae-gah.

But for the price you're paying for the item, you should be able to call it whatever you want!

Hahahaha... that's a good one!! I call my "my best friend"!! :nuts:

Yup, the correct version is Bo-`tae-ga `Ve-ne-ta with a stressed first syllable on the first and a stressed first syllably on the second word (now I feel like some nerdy etymologist :nuts:)

I have to agree with Bunkie on this one, the majority of the SA's I deal with in the UK are Italian, so correctly it would be Boh-the-ga veneta. I also recently learned that intreccatio (the weave) is pronounced as intre-cha-toe. I could learn this all day :girlsigh: BTW Hermes is er-mez

Hermes should be pronounced "Air-mez" I believe. :smile:

Great pronounciation question. It's so interesting when you only see a name in print, and rarely here it spoken.

I have heard Hermes pronounced as Her Mees and Bottega pronounced as Bo tee ga. I don't think it matters. I agree with Bunkie. When you spend that much you can call it whatever you like.