It's official...I HATE UPS!

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
I never thought much of them before other than they had funny uniforms.

One day in summer 2006, they delivered my Louis Vuitton pink cherry blossom pochette cles I purchased on eBay. The seller declared the full $215 value, which I was fine with, but guess how much they charged me for customs and brokerage? $78. And over $40 of that was brokerage fees. Absolutely ridiculous!! I get stuff sent to me by CanadaPost (from USPS or whatever national postal service) and I've had times where I don't get charged anything for declarations of $200!! I had a bag sent to me valued at $875 and I didn't have to pay a cent to receive it.

I was pretty choked. Essentially I was paying well over $300 CAD for the cles due to US/CAD exchange. But, I brushed it off.

I've avoided UPS since, but they did deliver two of my textbooks ordered online and I was charged $5 for brokerage fees on a $100 textbook. Fine with me, although why the heck should they charge me anything? I don't even get this stupid "brokerage fees". Uh-huh, takes like what, a few seconds to help my package clear?

So later I order about 10 bottles of OPI nail polish on eBay from a beauty store because they're so expensive in Canada. I calculated that if I were to buy in Canada I would end up paying around $150 CAD but I got the entire shipment of polishes for just under $80 CAD. Great!

And then...UPS tried delivering my package today...

Guess what the brokerage fee costs?

$33.89!!!!!!!

That's more than HALF of what the shipment itself is worth!!! $12 of the $80 was SHIPPING!

I am so, so, SO #$%^ingly ticked right now. I can't believe it. I know it's not customs because last time I got charged $70 something, only $30 or so of it was customs/duty/tax (which was quite ridiculous already).

UPS is a total RIP OFF. WOW. I don't think I will EVER have ANYTHING shipped via UPS again. If a seller refuses to use anything OTHER than UPS, then I'd just have to pass on the item. It's just NOT worth paying this stupid hefty rip-off brokerage fee just to save a few tens of dollars.

Total BS. I'm still getting over the shock right now.

I actually don't mind UPS- it's DHL and USPS I have issues with. USPS in particular NEVER updates the damn tracking!

Anyway sorry you got charged that ridiculous fee Karman :sad:

I feel your pain. I hate UPS. Every single package I've ever had delivered by them has showed up with a beaten up box. I'm not talking slightly either I'm talking really beaten up. Top it off the drivers around here are so rude and incompetent! My brother in law sent us a package last year containing a laptop, he sent it as signature required. The ups guy rings our door bell, drops the package and drives off!:wtf:Thankfully I was home at the time!

I hate UPS, but I also hate FedEx Ground for the same reason.

I bought a small, used bag for around $400 and the broker fees from FedEx Ground were over $40. Customs, duty and taxes brought the total to over $100.

Just recently UPS just left a LV at my door that required a signature, luckily I was home and heard the delivery. I left USPS upset today that it cost me over 20.00 to ship and insure my return to Dooney...I can't believe USPS is now charging for weight and size of the box (will measure it) and according to the zip code it is going to. Me thinks I will be making a rather large charitable donation to the salvation army as opposed to selling the rest of my stuff on ebay to avoid the shipping hassle.

Just recently UPS just left a LV at my door that required a signature, luckily I was home and heard the delivery. I left USPS upset today that it cost me over 20.00 to ship and insure my return to Dooney...I can't believe USPS is now charging for weight and size of the box (will measure it) and according to the zip code it is going to. Me thinks I will be making a rather large charitable donation to the salvation army as opposed to selling the rest of my stuff on ebay to avoid the shipping hassle.

I'm using usps.com because doesn't ask you for measurements of the box and also give you a discount. Then at the post office I skip the line and give the box to the clerk. :P

I'm using usps.com because doesn't ask you for measurements of the box and also give you a discount. Then at the post office I skip the line and give the box to the clerk. :P

Online it does ask for the measurements and now (as I read on other threads) USPS is charging more for boxes over 12x12x12.

I just HATE dimensional weight over actual weight. One time I had DH mail me something overnight DHL and it ended costing $80 instead of $60 because of dimensional weight and the damn box wasn't even that big!!!

I completely agree - UPS charges for shipping to Canada are outrageous and much worse than FedEx or DHL. It is the "processing fees" - I know I have to pay duties and taxes but the amount UPS charges for the "service" it provides are a joke.

I also recently received a bill in the mail from UPS (for $42 on a $70 shipment but that is just par for the course with UPS) and luckily I didn't pay - I checked our credit card statement and we had already paid that amount when the package arrived. So now they are charging their outrageous fees TWICE on the same shipment!

USPS/Canada Post are so much better - they charge a flat $5 processing fee regardless of the value of the shipment and we don't even get caught having to pay duties and taxes every time. With UPS I think they actually make customs take every package so they can collect their outrageous fees every single time as well.

UPS is o.k. for domestic shipments but are the WORST for international shipments. I once ordered an item costing a grand total of $40.00 and I paid $35 on brokerage and duties - almost a 90% mark up! Every time I look at it, I am reminded of how ripped off I was. Now if it is not mentioned in the listing, I always ask the seller what shipping carrier they use.

I hate UPS too..when I'm not home for a delivery, they just leave my packages in front of my door out in the open! I've asked them to leave packages with the leasing office when I'm not home, but they still leave my packages outside!!

UPS SUCK! I waited 6 days for a parcel that was meant to be 'express' delivery. The parcel left Chicago in the USA and went on a sight seeing tour all around the USA, before landing in the UK, stanstead Airport, which is near my home, and was then taken on a trip around England before being delivered to my home! What is that about??!!
Below is a copy of the tracking info for you all to see my handbags adventure.
BARKING
PA,GB20080206081300 OUT FOR DELIVERY BARKING
KY,GB20080206081200 DESTINATION SCAN BARKING
KY,GB20080206081200 DRIVER LOAD TAMWORTH
KY,GB20080206034300 DEPARTURE SCANT AMWORTH
KY,GB20080206012400 LOCATION SCAN TAMWORTH
KY,GB20080206003000 ARRIVAL SCAN EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT
IN,GB20080205235900 DEPARTURE SCAN EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT
IN,GB20080205234900 IMPORT SCAN EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT
IL,GB20080205233600 IMPORT SCAN EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT
IL,GB20080204205900 UNLOAD SCAN STANSTED AIRPORT
GB20080204205100 ARRIVAL SCAN PHILADELPHIA
US20080204084300 DEPARTURE SCAN PHILADELPHIA
US20080201205300 ARRIVAL SCAN LOUISVILLE
US20080201190400 DEPARTURE SCAN LOUISVILLE
US20080201144700 HUB SCAN LOUISVILLE
US20080201142900 HUB SCAN LOUISVILLE
US20080201142100 HUB SCAN LOUISVILLE
US20080201132000 ARRIVAL SCAN INDIANAPOLIS
US20080201103600 DEPARTURE SCAN INDIANAPOLIS
US20080201095200 ARRIVAL SCAN ADDISON
US20080201041000 DEPARTURE SCAN ADDISON
US20080201002800 ARRIVAL SCAN CHICAGO
US20080131233400 ORIGIN DEPARTURE SCAN CHICAGO

i thought i was getting a deal on these jeans i bought on "www.shopbluegenes.com" and one of the shipping options was "best way Free ground shipping" so i selected that option 'cause i didn't need to have my jeans right away. then they sent me a UPS receipt saying i owed $60!!! so it ends up being that i won't get such a good deal on my jeans at all!

anyway, they're supposed to be coming tomorrow and i'm refusing to pay them. i was wondering, when you ladies weren't home to sign for the package and had your parcel left on the front door, did you have to pay them?? what happens if i refuse to pay for the fees?? is it possible for me to send the bill to shopbluegenes? i feel so ripped off! and does anyone know what brokerage fees are??

Thanks.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's very true that they're okay for domestic, but SO CRAPPY for international...wow, $30+ brokerage on a $40 shipment, that's insane!! (More insane than MY situation).

And guess what? They never even came back to deliver my parcel yesterday!!! Apparently they "missed" my parcel at the facility so they're supposed to deliver today. I wrote a big fat sign "UPS CHECK MAILBOX" so they better not leave another note saying no answer/payment.