how long does it take for the vachetta to patina?

a4alice

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
if i were to use any bag with vachetta on it on a daily basis (i.e. school or work etc.), how long does it take for the bag to patina? (say, how long does it take for the colour to turn to a more brownish colour? totally black?)

I know patina is hastened by sunlight, but a pure patina will be honey brown. The dark brown/black comes from use and dirt - oils and sweat and stuff.

So I guess you'd have to rely on how dirty/oily/sweaty your good ol' hands are when you're using it! The dirtier the better maybe? :graucho:

I heard it's best to avoid handling the vachetta when your hands are damp & after you put on lotion.

oh this sucks.. i don't know why i think my hands naturally sweat a lot.. well more than an average person.. =S would a cool environment delay the process of patina?

It didn't seem to take long for my bags. It started to get darker in about a week after purchased. But I lived in a place where's sunlight from 6 am - 6 pm ;)

It didn't seem to take long for my bags. It started to get darker in about a week after purchased. But I lived in a place where's sunlight from 6 am - 6 pm ;)

Nat_CAN - how long have you had your bag for? has it turned a medium honey color by now from use?

Where I live, it depends on the season. We usually get a lot of the twilight during the summer months, so the sun rises at around 5 am & sets at around 10 pm. In winter, the days seem shorter as the sun only shines from around 8-9am to 4:30-5 pm. It kinda messes up our circadian rhythms :P

Nat_CAN - how long have you had your bag for? has it turned a medium honey color by now from use?

Where I live, it depends on the season. We usually get a lot of the twilight during the summer months, so the sun rises at around 5 am & sets at around 10 pm. In winter, the days seem shorter as the sun only shines from around 8-9am to 4:30-5 pm. It kinda messes up our circadian rhythms :P

I got my bag around 2003/4. I'm comparing it with a real honey in the bottle and the answer will be yes. :yes:

I know patina is hastened by sunlight, but a pure patina will be honey brown. The dark brown/black comes from use and dirt - oils and sweat and stuff.
hi do you know how long the patina process will last? like once your louis vuitton purse turns golden honey, will it continue to get darker until its really dark?

hi does anyone know how long the patina process will last? like once your louis vuitton purse turns golden honey, will it continue to get darker until its really dark? bc i don't know if i want to get a bag thats going to turn really dark eventually

I used my mono Speedy every day for a year, and by the end of that year it had a nice caramel-colored patina. I live in Florida, so it was exposed to quite a bit of sunshine.

I have two vintage bags from the late 1980s, and their patina isn't much darker - in fact, it's lighter. I can't speak to how much they were used, of course, but just existing in the world for nearly 30 years hasn't given them an exceptionally dark patina.

I can't say I've really seen ANY bags with a super dark brown patina (except for one DA NF in the "Celebs with their LV's" thread). Usually it's somewhere on the range of honey to caramel.

Reactions: realiteartificielle