Have you ever dyed your bag?

gettinpurseonal

Can I bathe in them?
O.G.
Mar 31, 2007
I have this Kooba Brynne but I want a darker color. Have you ever dyed your bag? How about anything else that would deepend the color several shades, such as a cream or conditioner???

(attached pics are from ebay, but it is the same style/color bag i have)

Attachments

• brynne.jpg
    brynne.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 69
  • brynne3.jpg
    brynne3.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 171
Umm... nope! And a good thing too, cuz I even have trouble dying my own hair, so there's no way that I would want to risk doing that to my beloved bags LOL.

But if you think you would do a good job, and you're really unhappy with the color of your handbag, I don't see why not... Hope the other ladies here can give you some advice!

I am interested in this as well, because one of my favorite bags, my tobacco Prada drawstring hobo, got badly stained from the dark denim of my jeans. I tried everything and finally took it to a leather repair shop, and they said they could send it off to be dyed either dark brown or black. (I think it might look stupid or like a fake, because the Prada metal logo triangle matches the original color which is an orangy-tan). It would cost $210 and they do not guarantee a positive outcome, so I don't know what to do.
:confused1:

Getinpurseonal, if there is nothing wrong with your bag (stains, etc) I personally would keep it that color. It is gorgeous!

I have this Kooba Brynne but I want a darker color.

There's a thread buried deep here in TPF about someone having the Brynne and then "dyed" it by slathering Vaseline all over it! :shocked: Apparently it worked, but I don't know how smooth it turned out (i.e. maybe lighter or darker in varying areas)....
I really don't think I'd recommend dying a leather bag yourself - take it to a shoe guy (or gal).
I have a friend who, about 2 years ago, was into these corduroy Gap bags and changed their colors by dyeing them as frequently as she changed her shoes! :idea:

I would be worried about the long term effects of Vaseline. Maybe there is something else that would darken it? And thanks Cooper1, I will see about leaving it as is, or just using a conditioner to darken it a hair instead of dying it.

And thanks Cooper1, I will see about leaving it as is, or just using a conditioner to darken it a hair instead of dying it.

Yeah, I actually really like that bag! I may look into something like that. I have never owned a Kooba, but I love the styles and the quality is beautiful.

A few years ago, I had this cheapie no-name leather bag that was a light olive green. I loved that bag to death, literally! One night my husband and I went out and I was using this bag, and I don't know what happened, but when we came home the whole bottom looked like I sat it down in oil or something. I took a wet washcloth with some soap on it and tried to wipe it, but it was still stained. I eventually took a cloth, doused it with vegetable oil and wiped the whole bag down. It looked great! It blended perfectly with the other oil spot, and just darkened the bag all over. I only did that because I considered it ruined anyway. I am not sure I would do that to a perfectly good bag, if it didn't already have spots or staind on it.

Well, Good luck with it!

You can get a leather tanner but its a lot of work to do on your own, it is doable though. I have a friend in fashion school who dyes and tanns his own leather. I would actually call a fashion school like FIT, RISD, or Parsons and see what they recommend for students doing leather projects.

If you have a Tandy Leather Factory store in your area, I suggest taking it to them to see what can be done. The clerks who work there know their leather inside and out (generally speaking) and can probably make some excellent recommendations. I buy their leather paint for craft projects on leather, and I know they make leather dyes, etc. They may know of somebody local who specializes in dying bags.

To find a store in your area, here's the site:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/Locations.asp

I have this Kooba Brynne but I want a darker color. Have you ever dyed your bag? How about anything else that would deepend the color several shades, such as a cream or conditioner???

(attached pics are from ebay, but it is the same style/color bag i have)

sorry for the bump up... but i have dyed two bags in the past, both professionally done but at different times and places. a red dyed to black and a light brown dyed to medium brown. both times i was very unhappy with the final results and ended up just giving the bags away. around the handles where the bag gets the most wear the colors started to come off... both times! and the dying changed the texture of the leather from supple to more brittle or stiff... i would not recommend it...

My roommate dyed her Marc Jacobs bag (sorry don't remember the type). But it became really crispy, as she described it. It used to be white and she had it professionally dyed to brown. I liked it a lot better white and I think she did too, because a few weeks later she sold it to a consignment store.

I'm guessing that it's easier/less risky to darken the color of an unglazed leather (e.g. Vaseline trick) than to completely change the color. IIRC, some LV owners purposely age the vachetta handles on their bags with olive oil.

I think that the Kooba Brynne would look lovely in dark natural saddle kind of color. Maybe you can put a spot of oil/vaseline on some hard-to-see corner to test how much the leather will darken?