The Complete Jane Austen.... anyone?

I've been watching it the last few weekends. It started three weeks ago with "Persuasion" (with Rupert Penry-Jones...whom I LOVE in MI-5), and last week with "Northanger Abbey". The "Persuasion" with Ciaran Hinds is still my favorite film adaptation of the book.

You know, I tried watching "Mansfield Park" last night, and was really bored with this particular adaptation. I don't know if it's because I am used to the version that came out a few years back with Frances O'Connor. I just thought that version, although not entirely true to the book, was better.

Well, I am going to keep an open mind and a positive attitude, but I have learned to keep expectations pretty low when it comes to movies of books.

My strategy is to view it more as a completely different work, possibly Inspired by a particular book. And movies Inspired by any Jane Austen book can be really entertaining, or they can really suck. Hollywood did a little spate of them a few years back, and I enjoyed them, and I bet Jane's spirit self laughed till her cheeks hurt.

I wish PBS did every other day reruns of everything like MTV et al do, I want to see Persuasion.

Well, I am going to keep an open mind and a positive attitude, but I have learned to keep expectations pretty low when it comes to movies of books.

My strategy is to view it more as a completely different work, possibly Inspired by a particular book. And movies Inspired by any Jane Austen book can be really entertaining, or they can really suck. Hollywood did a little spate of them a few years back, and I enjoyed them, and I bet Jane's spirit self laughed till her cheeks hurt.

I wish PBS did every other day reruns of everything like MTV et al do, I want to see Persuasion.

You might be able to rent the version of "Persuasion". They did re-air it in the week after it premiered on PBS. I saw a copy of the DVD at my local Barnes and Noble.

I've been watching it the last few weekends. It started three weeks ago with "Persuasion" (with Rupert Penry-Jones...whom I LOVE in MI-5), and last week with "Northanger Abbey". The "Persuasion" with Ciaran Hinds is still my favorite film adaptation of the book.

You know, I tried watching "Mansfield Park" last night, and was really bored with this particular adaptation. I don't know if it's because I am used to the version that came out a few years back with Frances O'Connor. I just thought that version, although not entirely true to the book, was better.

I missed the last few weeks but I'm going to try get a hold of the entire set on DVD. I watched "Mansfield Park" last night. Loved the hats :love:

i too have been watching it. i liked mansfield park b/c it was different from the frances o'connor one (although i do own it). as for persuasion, i liked the one that came out a few years back better. i guess for me, i liked that the older version had actors that were older. it made me believe it more. as for the next one, what is it? like becoming jane or something?

Thank you so much for telling about it! I will make the Tivoid find it.

Especially now that The OC got cancelled...

Whaaa??!! The OC cancelled!

i too have been watching it. i liked mansfield park b/c it was different from the frances o'connor one (although i do own it). as for persuasion, i liked the one that came out a few years back better. i guess for me, i liked that the older version had actors that were older. it made me believe it more. as for the next one, what is it? like becoming jane or something?

Next up is "Miss Austen Regrets." I don't have any information on it though.