50 and Fabulous!

To Eveg - on your Suhali Lockit . . .

I think the blue Suhali Lockit is a gorgeous bag. I haven't been brave enough to wear blue, but I think it would be gorgeous with the sounds of what you have in your wardrobe. It's such a classy bag too that I don't think blue would be too young looking or bad at all. I wish I could afford a Suhali lockit - they are absolutely luscious bags!

I would keep it if I were you, or if you're really unsure of the color, I know that Demi Moore looks really nice with her black one, and seems to wear it all the time.

Hello - Glad to meet all of you. I am 54. Not too tall (5'4") and fairly slim. Married almost 29 years with two children, a daughter, 27, that recently moved to her own place, and a 20 year old son still at home in college. I have always worked fulltime since graduating college.
My LV habit is rather new - maybe just 2 or 3 years - not quite sure - I originally got into LV because I was purchasing some rather expensive bags and they just were not holding up - (white ones yellowing, leather looking really horrible despite being cared for, styles that were too trendy so that I felt I wasn't getting enough use before they seemed dated). Then I tried LV as I felt most of their styles seemed to stand the test of time.
Initially, I it got off to a rather poor start as far as my first selections are concerned - but my daughter benefited from my errors - my first piece was a speedy 25 in mono, which sat almost an entire year in my closet without being used as it felt too small, and I have a thing about using mono for work. My second piece, a popincourt haut, was also gifted to her. Then I discovered damier - hit my stride - and branched out from there. Now I find that I love most of my selections so much - that I almost have too many bags - and I find it hard to switch off from one bag that I love to another that needs to be used and would work equally well with a particular outfit/event.
It is good to know there are some women in my age range here at tpf - as sometimes, even though I appreciate and respect all the advice - I don't want to start looking too young.
I also have stayed away from anything with the brass plate - like the bags but the plate - not my style. Also LOVED the cloud bags but because of the plate I didn't purchase -
I do love some of the more discreet charms(eg. pastilles, jack and lucy - not the large hearts as they seem too young and conspicuous) as they add a pop of color to a bag.
So, maybe you can help me with a recent purchase and a decision to keep/or return it. In order to get in before the price increase I purchased a Suhali Lockit PM in blue. I didn't need any black bags - plus most of my wardrobe is black, white or light grey - so it doesn't make it pop. I loved the white - but I already have 2 white epi pieces and the white Suhali just seemed too elegant for my life style. I felt that I would feel too fancy carrying it. The verone blended too much with my wardrobe colors(even the SA said that with my clothing colors it did not look good). The blue looks nice with my ninety million pairs of black pants and my white tops or my light grey sweaters. During the summer after work/on the weekends I am always wearing black or beige capris with white tops - I thought the Suhali was elegant - but the blue was not as serious a color so it toned down the elegant factor a bit. The bag is just beautiful - I love the leather and workmanship - but I don't want a bag that is either too limiting, too young looking or (since I will only purchase this bag once in my lifetime) one that will go out of style(colorwise). Any input?
eveg,
Do not give up the blue Suhali Lockit. It is a STUNNING bag. I would venture to say that any one of us would carry this bag proudly. You can carry it anywhere except for a fancy dinner or elegant soiree. As far as color goes I am not into matchy matchy with any particular outfit. I think that sometimes it is much more fun to add a pop of color that is completely unexpected. It is much more creative and artistic that way. Shoes and purse don't have to match...... complementary colors are interesting....pastels and bolds can be exciting together...... there are no rules when it concerns color. Don't be afraid to think out of the box with your fashion and that includes your handbag choices. Enjoy your Lockit.

Is anyone a breast cancer survivor? I am. I underwent a double mastectomy almost eight years ago..... followed by reconstruction. Prior to the mastectomies I had a lumpectomy with radiation. I go for yearly cancer checkups now. I just had one a few days ago and I am O.K.! So.... 8 years out and doing well. I am 53 years young and have been married 25 years. I have 4 sons..... ages 24, 21, 20,15. I need a hip replacement now but have been putting it off. And yes.... I am going through menopause with hot flashes day and night. Oh.... the joys of aging!

Big Eyes - thank you for your advice - you expressed my attitude about dressing very well- my outfits are rather bland, classic - but I like to pop my outfits with great bags, shoes and jewelry. That's why I thought the blue would be appropriate -
Glad to hear that you came back with a good report on your check-up!! That is fantastic.

One thing about be 50 and fab is you can afford more luxury items without being in debt... Not quite 50 just turned 40 and proud of it...

One thing about be 50 and fab is you can afford more luxury items without being in debt... Not quite 50 just turned 40 and proud of it...

Not if you have 4 children..... and two are in college at the same time! You just have to work more to make more money for the extras. I think that the only time it gets easier is when all the kids are out of the house and on their own. My eldest is a Boomerang kid and is living back at home. The second son is a senior in college and the third son is a junior in college and the 4th one is a 10th grader in high school. There's mortgage, heating bills, all other bills, car payments, tuition, food, gas, etc...... You know how it is. So believe me, it is still a struggle to get the luxury items.

As far as the Pochette Accessoires for an evening bag.......

I think that it looks too young to carry for an evening out. I prefer a clutch. It looks more chic. The little pochette with the thin little strap just doesn't look right on a woman of our age. I have been using the Poche Toilette 26 as a clutch and it really works well with any outfit. I have my eye on the Epi Montaigne clutch..... someday......

Rock on Lovely Ladies! I am only 31 but hope to be as sophisticated and stylish as you when I am your age!!! LV is ageless and timeless!!!
BacardiGirl,

Thank you for the lovely compliment. You are so sweet. I hope that you are feeling better about your job situation. I am a Kabbalist and believe that things happen in the time they are supposed to happen in your life. Situations are predestined because your soul has a mission on this earth. When you have adversity in your life you also have free choice to choose how you will handle that adversity. Your choice effects the path that your life will take. You are young and will have many opportunities to take your life in the direction that will lead to your happiness. Just keep the faith.

BacardiGirl,

Thank you for the lovely compliment. You are so sweet. I hope that you are feeling better about your job situation. I am a Kabbalist and believe that things happen in the time they are supposed to happen in your life. Situations are predestined because your soul has a mission on this earth. When you have adversity in your life you also have free choice to choose how you will handle that adversity. Your choice effects the path that your life will take. You are young and will have many opportunities to take your life in the direction that will lead to your happiness. Just keep the faith.

Thanks for the wonderful words of wisdom, I truly appreciate it! Yes, I believe things happen for a reason and good things are ahead... :smile:

Is anyone a breast cancer survivor? I am. I underwent a double mastectomy almost eight years ago..... followed by reconstruction. Prior to the mastectomies I had a lumpectomy with radiation. I go for yearly cancer checkups now. I just had one a few days ago and I am O.K.! So.... 8 years out and doing well. I am 53 years young and have been married 25 years. I have 4 sons..... ages 24, 21, 20,15. I need a hip replacement now but have been putting it off. And yes.... I am going through menopause with hot flashes day and night. Oh.... the joys of aging!
That's wonderful big eyes! I'm happy that your check up was ok! I know, how hard it is to live with angst before a new check up comes. Fortunately I don't have personally experiences, but I was working many years in gynaecology and my sun and his wife are doctors. So enyoy the good dignosis and enyoy all what you like - maybe your wonderful bags!! It's the profit of our age to be able to enyoy what whe have!
Sorry for my bad English, I hope I can express, what I mean.

Big Eyes - thank you for your advice - you expressed my attitude about dressing very well- my outfits are rather bland, classic - but I like to pop my outfits with great bags, shoes and jewelry. That's why I thought the blue would be appropriate -
Glad to hear that you came back with a good report on your check-up!! That is fantastic.
Eveg, I'm shure too that you should wear the blue Suhali very proud! It's a wonderful bag and a great colour and it's really timeless and ageless. Me too I like elegant, classic clothes, but i like too to pop up it with bags or jewelry. Enyoy the Lockit!