2 months later, my Cartier Tank broke...

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
I received a two-tone Cartier Tank Francaise as a Christmas present... and it has broken already! The clasp just literally broke apart while I was walking down the street one day. Thank God I ended up finding (most of) it in my coat sleeve.

My boyfriend ordered it for me from Tourneau.com, and when we brought it into the Tourneau store, a completely cold and unreceptive tech guy told us that they (a) didn't have the part in the store (it seems to me, and please correct me if I'm wrong to assume this, that a WATCH store should carry some spare parts but maybe this is unreasonable) (b) they'd have to send it out which would take 6 - 8 weeks.

I'm missing a link (and apparently it's not the same as the other links on the watch), plus a pin.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent. Now the watch will spend almost as long in the repair shop as I've owned it in the first place!

And good luck to me in terms of getting anything from Tourneau or Cartier again from the SO. He can't handle it when you pay thousands of dollars for something only to have it fall apart 2 months later.

That is terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you. I agree with boyfriend though, I wouldn't buy anything else from either of those stores if the watch is going to fall apart after 2 months. Especially, when you spend so much money and expect good quality.

Can you take it to another watch store or to Cartier? Maybe that might be a better option? I hope you get it fixed soon.

That is terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you. I agree with boyfriend though, I wouldn't buy anything else from either of those stores if the watch is going to fall apart after 2 months. Especially, when you spend so much money and expect good quality.

Can you take it to another watch store or to Cartier? Maybe that might be a better option? I hope you get it fixed soon.
Thanks for the sympathy. ;) According to the Tourneau store in Chicago, Cartier just sends all their repairs through them, so it would take just as long. I don't know whether or not this is true. I didn't check with Cartier but I have heard that they also send out their things for repair.

Maybe one of the jewelry experts here can explain why it would be so difficult to keep a few spare parts in each store. I imagine I am not the first person to have a broken clasp!

Depending on the kind of repair, Cartier may be able to do it in house. If you havent already dropped it to Torneau, I would at least ask Cartier...get prices and a time line!

Sorry to hear about this -- I'll assume the watch was brand new, and not pre-owned?? That is really irritating...and your BF is right, it is outrageous that something so expensive (and with so-called quality) should break after 2 months.

I am very sorry about your watch. I'm sure it is under warranty so Tourneau will repair it for you, free of charge. Just bite the bullet and leave it with them, and wear something old/inexpensive in the meantime. It will be worth it when your watch comes back, and maybe the repair time will be a lot less than they are telling you.
I have a friend who had a similar problem with her Cartier- she said the whole thing just fell off her wrist and onto the floor. Luckily she was at home, on carpeting.
I just bought a Cartier, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for good luck.

Sorry to hear that your Cartier already broke on you! :tdown:

Having worked in the industry, it is my experience that's how Cartier (and a lot of major/expensive watch manufactures) handles these cases. The retailer sends it back to Cartier and *hopefully* they send it back quickly. Unfortunately they do not send stores spare parts for incidences like this! That's why I use to tell people to keep their spare links just incase...

Good luck and hope your watch gets back to you quickly! :flowers:

Sorry to hear that your Cartier already broke on you! :tdown:

Having worked in the industry, it is my experience that's how Cartier (and a lot of major/expensive watch manufactures) handles these cases. The retailer sends it back to Cartier and *hopefully* they send it back quickly. Unfortunately they do not send stores spare parts for incidences like this! That's why I use to tell people to keep their spare links just incase...

Good luck and hope your watch gets back to you quickly! :flowers:

I do have my spare links... all 5 of them!

Sorry to hear about your watch. I hope you get it back sooner than expected. I don't blame your boyfriend if he's ticked. I think I would be fuming if I paid that much for a watch and it fell apart like that. I have seen watches from Wal-Mart that have held up better than that.

Wow - this is really disappointing - especially since I recently bought a Cartier from Torneau because the salesperson sold me with the line that they can do all the repairs in house WITHOUT the long wait of sending out. I chose them over Saks because Saks told me they send out their repairs to Cartier. I would put up a fuss.

Wow - this is really disappointing - especially since I recently bought a Cartier from Torneau because the salesperson sold me with the line that they can do all the repairs in house WITHOUT the long wait of sending out. I chose them over Saks because Saks told me they send out their repairs to Cartier. I would put up a fuss.

Not sure where you are located, but the Chicago Tourneau definitely doesn't do that. Maybe by "in house" he meant "in their warehouse in Texas" or wherever! LOL I'm very disappointed they didn't keep a couple spare parts around but oh well.