I am devastated!!!

Jun 5, 2007
Just before christmas, i got carried away and bought what i believed to be an authentic (was also told by the seller it was authentic!!) limited edition SS05 Vieux Rose Paddington. Well after scanning the Paddington reference library (talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, LOL) i believe i have bought a fake. If only i had waited till i got home and looked through the library, then gone and looked at the bag properly i would have been alerted to all the tell tales. The trouble is though that the leather looks very good to me, it is smooshy and not evenly pebbled, the main sign that its fake is the upside down keyhole :tdown: I can't believe i have done this, i have blown £200 on a fake. I don't think i can take it back, well i could, but i won't get all my money back as its a dress agency and i won't get any money till its resold, and that just means some other unsuspecting soul will buy it and the owner of the shop makes more profit on it. So i will keep it and use it without the padlock (as thats the main give a way) as a throw around don't care type of bag. I feel sick though every time i think about the fact that i could have avoided this :crybaby:. Hopefully once bitten twice shy....

Just before christmas, i got carried away and bought what i believed to be an authentic (was also told by the seller it was authentic!!) limited edition SS05 Vieux Rose Paddington. Well after scanning the Paddington reference library (talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, LOL) i believe i have bought a fake. If only i had waited till i got home and looked through the library, then gone and looked at the bag properly i would have been alerted to all the tell tales. The trouble is though that the leather looks very good to me, it is smooshy and not evenly pebbled, the main sign that its fake is the upside down keyhole :tdown: I can't believe i have done this, i have blown £200 on a fake. I don't think i can take it back, well i could, but i won't get all my money back as its a dress agency and i won't get any money till its resold, and that just means some other unsuspecting soul will buy it and the owner of the shop makes more profit on it. So i will keep it and use it without the padlock (as thats the main give a way) as a throw around don't care type of bag. I feel sick though every time i think about the fact that i could have avoided this :crybaby:. Hopefully once bitten twice shy....
I'm so sorry! Just a thought, since I don't know the law where you live, but can you threaten to report the shop for selling fakes? It is illegal here, and the shop owner may have recourse against the seller (real owner) if this is a consignment type shop.

If you just bought it, the seller should not have been paid by the shop owner yet since it generally takes a few days for that to happen (or longer) in my limited experience.
Good Luck!

My theory is NEVER HURTS TO ASK. Ms. shop owner may turn you down but golly gee it's worth a try to be the metal claw in a velvet glove and approach the situation as such.

And if this makes you feel better, if your mistake is only 200 pounds(?) count yourself lucky because it could have been a whole lot worse!

Thanks for the advice, but i don't know if i'm brave enough to do that. On the other hand having the law behind me might help. Probably the more i think about it the madder i'll get, and then maybe who knows i might give it a go. I believe the shop owner probably believed the bag to be real, as i have been quite a good customer and bought other authentic items from her, i don't believe she would deliberately con me :shrugs:

definitely go back then.... if there's any chance she didn't know especially. There's a very good chance she'll give you all your $ back and then she can go after whoever sold it to her. Plus if you're a repeat customer, I'll bet she'd appreciate knowing. She may have bought other items off that person that she might not realize are fake, so you'd actually be doing her a favor pointing it out sooner rather than later. Hope it works out...

I am so sorry to hear that. I think i would try to go to a chloe boutique and try to get a proof that this bag is a fake. And then go back to the seller and tell her/him that chloe confirms this bag is fake and if the seller doesn't give you your money back and destroys the bag immediately, you should tell them, that you will report them to the chloe fraud department.

One of my previous employers many years ago told me "The answer is always 'no' until you ask." Unless you ask, you have a 100% chance of a no answer, at least if you ask, there is a chance it could be yes. I've remembered that advice many, many times and it has ruled in my favor many times also.
Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I, too, bought a fake paddy. But I waited till too late to file a complaint or take any action, so I'd suggest taking action ASAP. The lady ought to know she's sold a fake, I'm sure she'd be quite interested to know that, it wouldn't give her a very good rep if she were to mistakenly do it again. Go for it and get your money back! Good luck!!

Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who advised me to take the bag back. I did just now. And the shop owner straight away said "i'm so sorry, obviously i'll give you your money back" without me evan having to ask :yahoo: She was so understanding and devasted too that it was a fake. When i pointed out the details she found it very interesting. She says she's always wary of bags that haven't been used, but this bag had been and it did look good, until you know what to look for, then the wrong bits are all too obvious. Anyway i told her about TPF and the tips for authentication thread, and no doubt she'll be checking them out. So a once again a BIG THANK YOU :flowers: for giving me the courage to take it back, and also thanks to all who contribute to the authenticate thread, for without them i would be blissfully unaware. I'm very happy now, though sad not to have gorgeous Chloe paddy.