Food French Toast

i just make the basic recipe...milk egg vanilla cinnamon :smile: classic yet tasty.

i do add a few flavors to it too. sometimes almond extract and some grated nutmeg pair nicely with the basic cinnamon and vanilla. i also like to make it with whole grain breads and when i have it, day old french bread. my mom also used to make it with condensed milk bc its sweeter

^^^
this how I do it:smile:
~mix eggs, sugar
~add milk whisk
~add vanilla,nutmeg,cinnamon
~whisk all together
*make sure your giddle is on & hot put a little butter so the bread will not stick
put bread in mixture(light) not too soggy cook on griddle cook on each side until nice, golden brown.
hope this helps.feel free to add your own twist. good luck & take pics:tup:

I have an overnight french toast recipe that's really good. Not healthy, but soooooo good!

1 baguette sliced into ~1" thick pieces (actually works better if it's slightly stale)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup pure maple syrup
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk or half-n-half (the creamier the better :graucho:)

flavorings (you can use any of these and it's fantastic):
2 Tbsp vanilla extract + ground cinnamon (to sprinkle on top)
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier or Triple Sec + 1 tsp orange zest
2 Tbsp Frangelico + grated nutmeg (to sprinkle on top)
I think Amaretto and nutmeg would be really good too, but I haven't tried it yet.

To make it, you take a big rectangular pyrex dish and mix together the melted butter and syrup in it. Then you press the bread slices into it and let it sit ~5 minutes. Beat together the egg, milk and vanilla or liquor. Pour the liquid over the bread. If the bread floats up just push it back down into the liquid. Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on top, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bake at 350 until firm and golden brown.

It's realllllly yummy! :nuts:

I like it pretty dry, but if you want it to be more custardy you can just add more eggs and milk. Just do ~ 1/4 cup milk for each extra egg. Enjoy! :heart:

i just make the basic recipe...milk egg vanilla cinnamon :smile: classic yet tasty.

^^^
this how I do it:smile:
~mix eggs, sugar
~add milk whisk
~add vanilla,nutmeg,cinnamon
~whisk all together
*make sure your giddle is on & hot put a little butter so the bread will not stick
put bread in mixture(light) not too soggy cook on griddle cook on each side until nice, golden brown.
hope this helps.feel free to add your own twist. good luck & take pics:tup:

:tup: This is the recipe and method I use. I add a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top and pure maple syrup. DELICIOUS!!!

I use the receipe from Joy of Cooking, omitting the sugar. Then after it's turned once, I melt a little bit of butter on top and then sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it, tastes great.

I've never had french toast, but I see it constantly at work so it is almost unappealing now. We serve a stuffed french toast with cream cheese, ricotta cheese, lemon zest, and strawberries! It's been selling like crazy, but way too indulgent!

Rumor has it, the best french toast is made with challah! I think it sounds good with cinnamon raisin bread as well!

Rumor has it, the best french toast is made with challah! I think it sounds good with cinnamon raisin bread as well!

And it's no rumor! It's all we make french toast with! Fabulous - thick soft bread -
2 loaves of challah
1 cup of flour
2/3 cups sugar
pinch of salt
Vanilla
5 cups of milk
10-12 eggs

We have four kids so all that will usually last us about 3-4 days maybe.
I like to add blueberries to mine - or sometimes on the side, I mash bananas, syrup and then add chopped walnuts and heat it over a small flame and serve over the warm french toast.

Definitly use challah bread! It takes french toast up a notch and is soooo so good! I use a pretty basic recipe too but in the past Ive also made stuffed french toast (stuffed w/ a mixture of whipped cream cheese and raspberry preserves) and it was delicious!!