What's the difference?

sweetpea, I'm in the deplorable habit of using the term 'purse' myself, but I'm trying to break myself of it - basically, in the United States, 'purse' and 'handbag' are the same thing, BUT - if I remember that I 'purse' my lips, not my handbag, I'm able to correct myself before I speak.

You can Google the difference too - and I KNOW many people will stop by here and answer your question.

I agree that in the US it is regional. Where I come from, there is no difference, although I tend to peceive "pocketbook" as a wallet. I believe that many Europeans see a purse as a wallet, but in the midwest of the US, purse and handbag are interchangable. I prefer handbag, though.

I believe that many Europeans see a purse as a wallet, but in the midwest of the US, purse and handbag are interchangable. I prefer handbag, though.

I agree. Many Europeans call a wallet a purse. I have an LV wallet which is named French Purse.

I use both terms to refer to the same thing - handbag. I still call my wallet a wallet not a purse even though it's an LV French Purse.

I think they're the same thing. I always use the word handbag for no particular reason except habit. But to me it's the same as a handbag or a pocketbook.

Haha when i was in design school there was actually a class that went over this. They told us that a purse, a pocketbook, and a handbag are all different.

Handbag: those things we obsess about right here
Purse: usually was small and held change
Pocketbook: was actually a small book kept in your pocket, didn't hold anything.

Purse and pocketbook are really old terms in comparison to handbag.

I generally call them handbags or usually just bags. But sometimes I call them purses, lol. I agree that in the Northeast (NJ), they are interchangeable. But pocketbook is what grannies call them!

was just talking to my mother about this.

I laughed because she was telling me about her new purse, and I told her for what she paid for that purse, she should consider it a handbag.

I think of a purse as being that little draw-string thing of the past.

I think it's purely semantics. I know I can't stand the word "pocketbook" which is supposed to mean bag/purse as well.

I guess it's just what you're comfortable with. I'd say "let me grab my bag" vs. "let me grab my purse."

we go to the US a lot. when i was like 14 some girl said to me "cute pocketbook" i just said thanks then asked my mom why she wouldve thought the boko i was carrying was cute. lol. funny most american lingo travels north of the border but this one never caugh on.

I think it's purely semantics. I know I can't stand the word "pocketbook" which is supposed to mean bag/purse as well.

Oddly enough, I can't stand "pocketbook" either. Just sounds ancient to me :Push:

I say bag but I've found that if I'm around people who aren't "into" bags, they look at me funny and say "You mean your purse?" Whateva :rolleyes: :upsidedown:

we go to the US a lot. when i was like 14 some girl said to me "cute pocketbook" i just said thanks then asked my mom why she wouldve thought the boko i was carrying was cute. lol. funny most american lingo travels north of the border but this one never caugh on.

Oddly enough, I can't stand "pocketbook" either. Just sounds ancient to me :Push:

pocketbook is used a lot by people who are older in the Boston area. sounds bizarre to me too!