Make your own lavender hair mist!

Jan 28, 2007
Hi ladies and gentlemen. I went to the salon today and my stylist showed me a book called Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey/Deborah Chiel and in it was a recipe for lavender hair mist that my stylist used on me and recommended. It smells so incredible and is easy to make if any of you are interested. I just made it tonight so I can't wait to try it. I'm sure it is fine for straight hair, too! Anyway, here is the recipe:

[SIZE=-1]"Lavender has cleansing properties, so this quick mist not only makes your hair smell like a lavender field in Provence, it's also indispensable for cleansing and reviving your curls. Make it in large quantities; keep a large spray bottle in your shower and smaller travel-size bottles in your purse, desk, and car.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1/2 gallon water
5 drops pure (not synthetic) lavender essential oil
3 empty spray bottles (available at most drugstores)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1. Fill a large pot with a half gallon of water.
2. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for an hour to get rid of impurities. (Check occasionally to make sure water isn't boiling away.)
3. Remove from heat, add lavender oil, stir, and replace lid.
4. Let steep until cool, then pour into empty spritz bottles."

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I cut the recipe in half because I won't use 3 bottles so I will have to see how it works and let you know.
[/SIZE]

I buy jugs of distilled water at the grocery store. Could you mix the oil with that and skip the boiling?

Edited to add: just re-read the instructions, looks like "steeping" must be an important part of it.

I buy jugs of distilled water at the grocery store. Could you mix the oil with that and skip the boiling?

Edited to add: just re-read the instructions, looks like "steeping" must be an important part of it.

That's a good idea. I don't know the answer to that. I really don't see why not, but maybe the steeping is important...? :confused1:

I did make it last night and I put the pot in the fridge to cool it quicker then I put it in a measuring pitcher to pour it into the bottle. I sprayed it once and it smelled amazing. I haven't tried it in my hair yet, but I am really excited about this lol. It's such a great idea!

if you add 3 drops of rosemary essential oil, you'll not only have a great hair mist, but also a great growth spray. rosemary is well known for stimulating hair growth.

^^ I tried it this morning and I love it now! I just spritzed it all over my hair to freshen it up. You could use it throughout the day, too. Just mist your hair with it to scent it, and if it is curly, scrunch it in. I would use it pre-styling, or to re-activate product that is already in your hair.

I've been using the lavendar spritz for over 3 years now and LOVE it!! There is one more thing that needs to be considered when making the spritz. It is important to use a dark bottle to store your mixture. I use an old hair spray bottle (black) but wrapping a clear spray bottle with tin foil will do the job too. The lavender breaks down when exposed to light. I fill a bottle about once a year and it is still as effective as the day I fill it up!!!
Enjoy and happy spritzing!!!