Golden Compass

I've read the book, and I plan to see the movie this weekend. From what I understand the Catholic Church isn't even mentioned in the movie, yet they are calling for a boycott. And there is little mention of religion or the church at all in book one (the Golden Compass), so it's kind of beside the point to be upset about it regarding religion! They are upset about Pullman's ideology and are using the boycott to try to take down a good book and what should be a good movie.

Rather like some people claimed that the Narnia books and movies were just conduits to Christianity because of Lewis's theology, these books are dismissed by some because Pullman is an atheist. I think it is silly to not read the books or see the movies in both cases because they are BOTH good stories which can be appreciated apart from religion.

I saw it and have read the books. For one thing, the 1st book doesn't focus much on the whole theology of the series in general, all that doesn't really kick in until the 2nd and 3rd books. Also I thought they downplayed it to the point of nonexistence in the movies, I guess to avoid controversy (failed attempt! haha)

I was pretty disappointed... I loooove the books but I felt they really botched the opportunity to make a great film. Ah well, that's how it usually goes.

^^That's what I thought. There isn't even a mention of religion or God. I started to lose track of the movie while thinking of what it could mean. So then I just watched it for what it was and not try to find any meaning.

Meh. The Catholic church gets pissed off about everything.

Apparently, it was because they think the message is to reject organize religion and practice free will.

They got upset over that.

Catholic board bans 'Golden Compass' indefinitely

Updated Thu. Dec. 20 2007 3:16 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

"The Golden Compass" and two other books in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy have been banned indefinitely by the Halton Catholic District School Board despite a committee's recommendation that the titles remain on library shelves.

Board chair Alice Anne LeMay told CTV.ca that the committee found the books suitable for students in Grades 7 and up, but the majority of board members voted against the committee's report Tuesday night.

The book, written by popular British author and avowed atheist Philip Pullman, has won numerous awards, including the Maine Student Book Award and the American Library Association's Best Books for Young Adults award.

"Philip Pullman's trilogy of atheistic ideology, carefully couched within the realm of fantasy for young readers, is in direct opposition to the mission statement and governing values of our board," the board's decision reads.

The trio of books was removed from library shelves last November after receiving a request for review from a member of the community. All three titles were available to students upon request.

The board set up a committee, made up of teacher, principals, trustees and consultants, to review the book and recommend whether it should be available to students.

LeMay said this is the first time a book has been banned from school libraries within the board. The three titles will not be made available to students upon request and will be "stored at the central board office for the time being."

She said the books were initially purchased for the schools because of the critical acclaim they received.
LeMay said she has received a minimal amount of calls from parents about the book and added that if parents want the trilogy for their children they can visit a public library or purchase copies.

"The board felt that because it really was in opposition of what we're trying to teach the children, there is a lot of literature out there that is more appropriate for teaching critical thinking," she said.

"Yes, we do want the children to be good critical thinkers but we can do it with other materials than that one."

Pullman, known for his "legendary atheism" in the British press, has never shied away from his controversial views on religion.

"The trouble is that all too often in human history, churches and priesthoods have set themselves up to rule people's lives in the name of some invisible god (and they're all invisible, because they don't exist) -- and done terrible damage," Pullman writes on his website.

"In the name of their god, they have burned, hanged, tortured, maimed, robbed, violated, and enslaved millions of their fellow creatures, and done so with the happy conviction that they were doing the will of God, and they would go to Heaven for it."

A film version of "The Golden Compass," starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, was released on Dec. 7 and has grossed more than US$100 million worldwide.

(http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071220/book_ban_071220/20071220?hub=TopStories)

:confused1: That comment was kind of uncalled for, IMO...

The movie is related to the book, yes? And the first book to the rest of the books in the series, yes? And the series of books lay out the authors ideology, yes? And the "Church" in the book series is described as a dark place? :shrugs:

Meh. The Catholic church gets pissed off about everything.

Apparently, it was because they think the message is to reject organize religion and practice free will.

They got upset over that.

hmmm not to go into dangerous territory, but I've read that the movie was watered down from the book to avoid controversy-don't know how successful that was--but Pullman addresses his ideology through the books and he is an atheist. I think the Magesterium is metaphorically the Catholic church. And not just the Catholic church but Christian groups in general have called for a boycott. I got an e-mail from my friend warning about the movie and she is christian but not Catholic.

As for me, I tried to not think too much about what the message was and just enjoyed a good movie and Daniel Craig!

I think if you look at it as simply a fantasy movie it's just fine...but when you read into the Authors' ideology and symbolics, it can get kind of...offinsive. That's only my opinion, though. :lol:

The author of the book is a devout atheist. He demeans Christians and wants to influence children into thinking that God is not real. If you had read the articles why the church does not support the movie or the book you would have seen. The movie was dumbed down to show a non-atheist light to appease all audiences. The premise is that the children kill God at the end of the books. However, some can say it is a battle between good and evil but does not clarify what it is. If you can watch the movie and not be influenced by Pullmans real meaning than it is perfectly fine but as a church they would be contradicting themselves if they support a author who is purely against our beliefs. FYI the movie sank at the box office because of this controversy. I dont think there will be a second or third.

I haven't read the books, but I'm sure the movie was "watered down" a lot in order to try and avoid the same controversy. Although, I do think the whole Magisterium, dust, and free will thing were a VERY direct metaphor for the Catholic Church. Maybe it's only direct for me 'cause I was raised a Catholic and am familiar with the concepts, although I don't practise religion anymore.

I dunno... maybe I'm getting it all wrong but the whole cutting of the Daemon thing reminded me of original sin and baptism, etc.

Daniel Craig wasn't in the film nearly as much as he should have been! :crybaby:
yes, unfortunately!
I haven't read the books, but I'm sure the movie was "watered down" a lot in order to try and avoid the same controversy. Although, I do think the whole Magisterium, dust, and free will thing were a VERY direct metaphor for the Catholic Church. Maybe it's only direct for me 'cause I was raised a Catholic and am familiar with the concepts, although I don't practise religion anymore.

I dunno... maybe I'm getting it all wrong but the whole cutting of the Daemon thing reminded me of original sin and baptism, etc.

fascinating. I will need to read more. i thought the idea of daemons was a fascinating concept especially the changing shape and seeing what they ultimately become when the child becomes an adult. the relationship between daemon and person was fascinating as well.