QUICK! Help me with my english portfolio assignment!!

MyLuckyCharm

Daydreamer
O.G.
Apr 1, 2007
Complete the following phrase: "I wish i didn't have to..." I'm looking for objective answers; remember, this is an AP course. So "I wish i didn't have to go on purse bans" wouldn't suffice! lol It's due TOMORROW and I pretty much haven't STARTED, which I know is my fault because this was assigned MONDAY, but that's beside the point. I'm in a MAJOR rut and I'm desperate for ideas.

I'm just sitting here looking at a blank screen on microsoft word and the time is ticking quicker by the minute. I feel so spaced out and can't come up with ANYTHING! Help me, girls!

I don't know what you are looking for exactly, but random thoughts I've had today-

I wish I didn't have to be nice to people I don't like.

I wish I didn't have to know that my dad's biopsy results were positive. :sad:

Sorry, I sdhould probably elaborate more, but I'm kinda freaking out right now because I usually don't procrastinate THIS bad! haha

We're writing personal statement essays as part of our college portfolio. The topic is "i wish i didn't have to..." and we pretty much write an essay about it. I called my friend and she told me to write about something that I'm passionate about.

It's not so much WHAT I'm writing about that I'm worried for; it's the question of what format to write it in! It's not an argumentative essay, or an analytical essay, just an essay supporting the statement "I wish I didn't have to"... and my teacher didn't explain much as to what she expects. I also want to write about a topic that has substance, and not a cliched topic such as "I wish that I didn't have to wake up early every morning," but something with more depth that I could elaborate on, KWIM?

All ideas are tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Even the most cliche topics would turn into a great essay, though.

I wish I didn't have to wake up early... if I didn't have to wake up early, I would do X,Y, Z. I'd have time for A, B, C.... etc., etc.

I wish I didn't have to be nice to people I don't like... like so-and-so.

I wish I didn't have to write this report

sorry not helpful I know, I guess it's not really something we can answer for you, what do you wish you didn't have to do, start with something basic and brainstorm maybe you'll get the best idea along the way

I wish I didn't have to write this report
:roflmfao:

But on a serious note, this is more of a personal thing clearly. My advice is just start writing down ideas, a whole list and don't even think about how odd or cliché they are, just write them down, then afterwards, analyze your list and trust me, you'll come up with something. You're smart, you're in an AP class, and this really isn't a hard assignment, just don't overthink it.
Your teacher probably wants to see the passion in the essay, so if you don't come up with your own idea on this, the passion isn't going to come through, kwim? Once you get the topic idea, it's easy from there, good luck!!

^That's a good idea! I guess I would think about all the negative aspects of being an adult, and what you can't do that you could do while you were young, like what you leave behind when you grow up. For example, being an adult, you have many more responsibilites, while being young, you can be carefree and don't have to worry as much about anything, then just elaborate more on that. There's a lot of good things out there to support your topic idea!

Here's what I have so far and I feel so unsatisfied. I have a terrible case of writer's block. Don't laugh, but here goes:

"
Looking back now, I recall the lighthearted memories of my childhood fondly. Sunny and carefree, I remember the good old days. I can still taste the fragrant buds of honeysuckle on my lips as I frolicked with my neighborhood playmates in the comfort of my backyard. With the mild summer breeze brushing against my cheeks, I would smile cheerily without any regard for tomorrow. A day could have easily been spent playing videogames with my brother; the day was mine to keep. I would lay on my back in the wispy blades of grass and gaze up into the sky, chasing the clouds with my eager eyes, seeing a different shape in each one that hovered by.
Fast forward about a decade later, and the motive for my day has meandered in quite a different direction. I often find my days spent in a stuffy building with a plethora of assignments to complete. Long gone are the lazy days of my youth, where imagination and innocence reigned."

To keep tabs on my progress, here's what I have so far:

[Looking back now, I recall the lighthearted memories of my childhood fondly. Sunny and carefree, I remember the good old days. I can still taste the fragrant buds of honeysuckle on my lips as I frolicked with my neighborhood playmates in the comfort of my backyard. With the mild summer breeze brushing against my cheeks, I would smile cheerily without any regard for tomorrow. A day could have easily been spent playing videogames with my brother; the day was mine to keep. I would lay on my back in the wispy blades of grass and gaze up into the sky, chasing the clouds with my eager eyes, seeing a different shape in each one that hovered by.

Fast forward about a decade later, and the motive for my day has meandered in quite a different direction. I often find my days spent in a stuffy building with a plethora of assignments to complete. Long gone are the lazy days of my youth, where imagination and innocence reigned. Now, my future sits on the horizon of opportunity where the amount of time dedicated to my studies will dictate where I shall go in life, a scary sentiment. I am quickly jolted awake from my nostalgic reverie, sucked back into a world where certain duties are expected to be fulfilled. As I turn the keys into the ignition of my car, I wish I didn’t have to grow up."]

I have NO idea of where to go from there. Should my next paragraph discuss further about my current life in comparison to my carefree childhood, or should I use my third paragraph for something else? SUGGESTIONS POR FAVOR.

Maybe talk about what you see for the future? If you're thinking of kids in your life at some point you could even move into the whole "seeing your childhood through their eyes" kinda deal.

Good luck!

If it is of any help, my paper can be no longer than 2 pages double spaced, and cannot exceed 500 words. I'm on microsoft word trying to figure out where the daggum word count feature is! =D Ahhhh I'm gonna have a field day with this one...