Sticky Zip?

Cyndee

LVChanelVegasSunnies
O.G.
Jul 23, 2007
Anybody else have this problem? I'm thinking specifically of the Alma, but is this a general problem for LV items?
If you have found it to be a problem, was it from the time you purchased the bag, or later once it was a couple years old or so?
Just wondering.....

My very, very first Alma was a used one (ebay, my poupette authenticated) and I had the same problem with the zipper acting tricky. It frustrated me and so I put it away for quite a long time, and when I pulled it out again, the zipper worked fine. I know, that is no explanation at all, but I guess what I'm saying is that yes, this does happen with the Alma. I think it may have something to do with the curvature of the zipper.

do you mean that it's hard to zip? or that it's literally sticky? my Tivoli GM is kind of tricky to zip...like it's really, really stiff or something. Like beth001 said, I agree that it probably has something to do with the curve. Hopefully it will loosen up soon!

No, not sticky as in like gum, but sticky as in stiff and hard to zip and unzip.
Don't you think I would have gotten in all kinds of trouble with the mods if I have titled this thread 'Stiff Zip'?? :amazed: lol!

When I went to pick up my Tivoli PM on the 1st day of Tivoli release, I checked out the Tivoli GM on the shelf and found it very DIFFICULT to unzip - I couldn't even unzip it myself, I had to ask a male SA to unzip it for me using some sort of FORCE! That zip was not smooth at all...

Then I checked the zip of my PM and luckily it worked perfectly fine.

There's a bit of stiffness to the zip of my Manhattan PM. It doesn't stick anywhere, it actually runs quite smoothly, but it's sort of more work - it takes more effort - to zip and unzip than you would expect. Is that what you mean?

I tried spraying a cotton bud (Q tip) with silicone spray and running it along the teeth of the zip. It didn't make the slightest difference so I stopped fussing about it and just left it as is. It's not exactly a problem anyway ... I'd just like it to run a bit more easily.

Yea, the zipper pull is hard to open and close from what I understand.
Here's the situation....I sold my - pride and joy - 90% new, 4 year old Alma and the buyer has contacted me to insist that it's a fake based primarily on that the zipper is hard to open and close. Incidently, it didn't give me any trouble, so I find beth001's response especially interesting.
I had the bag authenticated for her by my poupette and she maintains that they don't know what they're talking about because she took it to her local Saks LV counter and they told her it's fake based on that too. She also insists that LV's don't have 'quality' issues ever and that's why they sell for such high prices. Oh brother! And don't get me started on LV sales assistant's knowledge....er, or shall I say, lack thereof!

Even the my poupette authenticator confirmed that Alma's especially can be difficult to zip and un-zip. Now that you ladies mention it, the shape makes perfect sense. My buyer says though that all of the brand new ones in the store zipped smoothly, so that makes my 4 year old one, a fake.

I tell you, it's been a rough week. Just to start, there's zero chance that I would own a fake, never mind sell one! I'm thinking I should gently try to get her to consult tPF and this thread and a couple of others on SA's and quality issues.

Anyway, I'm wondering if beeswax, soap or graphite would help. I know I've used all of those on coat zippers and had success.

Don't use a pencil!! The black of the lead migrates everywhere and you end up frantically wiping off dirty grey smudges. Maybe try a coloured pencil, but then you'd have that colour instead and anyway, I don't think other colours have any graphite in them, do they? I don't know. :shrugs: I think a candle sounds safer.

It sounds like you have a very painful buyer there, and I'm sorry but I have no advice to offer ... I would never put up a fight with a mad eBayer and risk negative FB. I'd just as soon lose the sale and keep my 100% rating. :sad:

Oh no... this sounds like a terrible situation ... hopefully you can direct the buyer here and they will believe you. Unfortunately, some of the people on eBay buying LVs are so worried about getting a fake (as we all are) that they won't even trust My Poupette and/or CarolDiva!!! Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Oh no... this sounds like a terrible situation ... hopefully you can direct the buyer here and they will believe you. Unfortunately, some of the people on eBay buying LVs are so worried about getting a fake (as we all are) that they won't even trust My Poupette and/or CarolDiva!!! Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Yes, me too. My heart is broken that this person feels that I have been anything less than totally honest with her. :crybaby: