Has ebay become some kind of "Den of Thieves"?

temo

Jul 13, 2006
. . . with paypal as an accomplice?
Am I just having bad luck lately? . . or has "ebay/paypal" finally dwindled down to mainly nonpaying bidders (who seem to get their kicks from inconviencing others) and thieves and scammers who will stop at nothing to get something for nothing?
I have listings out there, but nothing seems to sell anymore, without fraudlent and dishonesty issues?
(I'm ready to give up!):sad:

I haven't been having a problem with non paying bidders, but with extortion. They win the auction and then try to talk down the price that they agreed to pay, or try to get free shipping. I am so upset by this one bidder that I am reluctant to send her the item. Free shipping to Europe on a 650.00 handbag??? She was going to back out otherwise and I didn't feel like going through the whole process of relisting and getting my refund from Ebay. Anyway it's been packed and ready to go for a couple days, uggh. I am going to force myself to send it out today.

I have NEVER had a non paying bidder and I think I've been an ebay member for 10 years.

I've had 5 in the past six months.

It's such a pain.

Yup, I've been with ebay for nearly 8 years now and just started selling last summer. I had 3 NPB's spread out within the first 4 months of selling. Now I've had 3 in the last 2 months and may have another one to deal with right now. It's pathetic.

I haven't been having a problem with non paying bidders, but with extortion. They win the auction and then try to talk down the price that they agreed to pay, or try to get free shipping. I am so upset by this one bidder that I am reluctant to send her the item. Free shipping to Europe on a 650.00 handbag??? She was going to back out otherwise and I didn't feel like going through the whole process of relisting and getting my refund from Ebay. Anyway it's been packed and ready to go for a couple days, uggh. I am going to force myself to send it out today.

UGH! Tell me about it, I've had similar things happen to me with people trying to talk down the price plus have me throw in free international shipping, they want me to lie on customs forms, all the while still trying to talk down the price of the item more and more hoping to "catch" me agreeing to it. And then there are those with buyer's remorse who try to claim the item is damaged when the receive it and demand they return it for a refund. I just sold a dress recently and now the buyer is telling me it is damaged and torn (!! oh my god! I wore it once and it was neither of these things when I shipped it!). I'm guessing the fact that they ended up winning for MORE than my original BIN has a lot to do with it. I'm so, so sick of ebay that I am about ready to throw in the towel. I have been a user for many years and have almost 1600 feedbacks. I've never seen so many scammers in my whole life. :cursing:

Oh God, that's awful. :tdown:

I really think you should refuse to, on principle alone. :yes:

If she really wants the bag she'll pay and if you give in, she'll think she can do that (and perhaps even worse) every time. :sad:

Yes it has!!:tdown: If you look at the most recent threads in the eBay forum, it is nothing but problem after problem and it's just within the past 3 months. I, too am a buyer and a seller and have never had a problem in the past 3 1/2 yrs. until a month ago when I sold my LV, with much back & forth for price negotiation, shipped it & was delivered and then the buyer claims she never received it and has now filed a claim with Paypal. I don't know what is going on....:confused1: Is it the economy that has fueled all these scammers or do ppl have the inside knowledge that by filing a claim with Paypal, it will almost always go in their favor so that they can have their cake and eat it too? I am frustrated and disgusted:cursing: with them that as soon as this mess is resolved, I'm going to terminate my membership with the both of them.....I have better things to do with my time...

Unfortunately eBay has gne down hill. Too many scammers, thieves and con artists.

I collect antiques and notice alot of the better items get no bids at all.

I bet millions and millions of dollars have been lost in scams and this has made people think twice about buying and/or selling. I used to enjoy it but now am not happy with the level of people I have to deal with. While some are fine, all it takes is that one rotten apple to really sour the experience for you and make you forever paranoid....

Unfortunately eBay has gne down hill. Too many scammers, thieves and con artists.

I bet millions and millions of dollars have been lost in scams and this has made people think twice about buying and/or selling. I used to enjoy it but now am not happy with the level of people I have to deal with. While some are fine, all it takes is that one rotten apple to really sour the experience for you and make you forever paranoid....

:true:!! I used to enjoy it but now.....:throwup::yucky:

ITA just as we seem to cope and post about one scam another different scam comes along.

I have to agree, I have been a member of Ebay for 7 years, mainly buying, I have been lucky so far, but the stories I am reading makes me not want to sell on Ebay. I recently moved and with all the items I had doubles, I threw them away and gave things to family and friends rather than list on Ebay.

Ebay does have gems available but they are becoming few and far between. Ebay is good if you happen to find out a member of this forum is on Ebay then you can more or less know that the item is ok. This is just my view.x

WOW! EXCELLENT IDEA:tup:. I HAVE PURCHASED NUMEROUS ITEMS ON EBAY AND THE LAST FEW ITEMS THAT I WON WERE FAKE AND YOU WOULD THINK I WOULD NOW BETTER, SINCE I AM AN AVID BUYER OF EBAY ITEMS; HOWEVER, I TOO WAS BAMBOOZLED. MY VERY LAST PURCHASE WAS A FENDI SPY BAG THAT FELL APART AS SOON AS IT ARRIVED AND A MIU MIU COFFER THAT WAS HORRIFICALLY (IS THAT A WORD)MADE:yucky:. WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO WHEN I CAN'T TELL A FAKE BAG. UGH!:cursing:

Yes it has!!:tdown: If you look at the most recent threads in the eBay forum, it is nothing but problem after problem and it's just within the past 3 months. I, too am a buyer and a seller and have never had a problem in the past 3 1/2 yrs. until a month ago when I sold my LV, with much back & forth for price negotiation, shipped it & was delivered and then the buyer claims she never received it and has now filed a claim with Paypal. I don't know what is going on....:confused1: Is it the economy that has fueled all these scammers or do ppl have the inside knowledge that by filing a claim with Paypal, it will almost always go in their favor so that they can have their cake and eat it too? I am frustrated and disgusted:cursing: with them that as soon as this mess is resolved, I'm going to terminate my membership with the both of them.....I have better things to do with my time...

I have the very same issue going on. A buyer claiming not received - I don't believe she has not received it because she has pulled this scam before (by looking at her feedback). I'll be closing both paypal and ebay when this fiasco is over! Unwanted items will now go to charity. (A better option anyway). :yes:

I had a nightmare with an ebayer who bought a bag from me last year. She left positive feedback and then bugged me to leave her feedback which I did, then started saying that she thought the bag was fake (it wasn't). She sold it on but then came back saying that her buyer had said the same thing. At the time I was about to give birth (literally) and she should have been the least of my concerns but it really stressed me out.

Despite refusing to have it authenticated or tell me why she thought it was fake she continued harrassing me and her emails got really abusive. In the end I told her to make a paypal claim if she wasn't happy which she did and paypal found in my favour. She then issued a chargeback through her credit card which paypal couldn't fight so I ended up having to refund her plus pay for it to be sent back. There was nothing wrong with it! This whole scenario went on for 10 months and my paypal account is still locked because of it :tdown: It was an absolute beast and it's made me so wary when selling now :sad: