Pochette, Pocket Square, Gavroche, OH MY!

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
OK guys, I need some clarification! I've been calling the 16x16 inch scarf a pocket square or on occasion a pochette. Our local H boutique always calls them a gavroche. Actually, now that I think of it, the boutique is the only place I've heard the term gavroche used.

Clear up the muddled head of a confused old woman here: Does Hermes have a "proper" term for these scarves or is it a case of calling it what you prefer?

Thanks in advance! :cutesy:

In France the Hermes name for the scarf is the gavroche; that's the proper terminology if you want to be precise. In the US I have heard them referred to as 'pocket scarves' or 'pocket squares', but never as a pochette.

Hi PP! If you check out the hermes.com website, each country's individual site has them under a different name. US is called pocket squares, France is gavroches and the UK is small pockets.

I don't see where any are called pochettes...which is what I usually call them ;)

Interesting...well, whatever they are called, I am totally addicted :love:

Yes, when in doubt, check the H website. That's how i knew it was Twillys for the plural and not "Twillies"

Hermes calls the pocket squares for men "pochettes" while the small neckchiefs for women "gavroches".

Altho all 3 terms are good to go and used interchangably, I prefer Gavroche since there is talk of the Kelly Pochette (the clutch) on this board and also because gavroche has a literary eptmology which I like: it comes from the street urchin Gavroche in Victor Hugo's Les Miserables who always wore a neckerchief in the book.

Aahhh.....I always call the small scarves, "Pochettes" and the big scarves, "Big Scarf" and the 70cm's, "Small Scarf". LOL!!!!! But not in front of the SA's!!!!

I am thinking of getting one in this size. Are they very versatile or just to hang off your handbags?
Yes, they are very versatile. I have a couple and really enjoy them. I especially like to wear them on days I take my Malts in for grooming since they would destroy a full-sized scarf when lifting them out of the car, etc. They're a great alternative and add variety to the choices. I wear an H scarf every day, so it's nice to have a variety of sizes and shapes.

I LOVE them, whatever they are called at the moment, LOL!
They're super versatile if you learn the little folding trick I was taught by an SA--corner to corner, twist, flip, then tie around your neck. :tup:

Seton, that is fascinating about Les Mis, I never put the two things together!

Great info Seton! You're the BEST! I've always called them pocket squares when asking about them at "H" (US) and pochettes on this board...huh.

I really like Gavroche tho--now, if only I knew how to pronounce it! Anyone? :P

I really like Gavroche tho--now, if only I knew how to pronounce it! Anyone? :P

Pretty much like it looks: gav-roche. Gav as in "Gavin" and roche as in the candy Ferrero "Rocher" (but leave off the er when you pronounce it).

Side note: one thing I'm enjoying about exploring Hermes is getting to use my 7+ years of junior/high school and college French again. ;)