why buyers don't leave feedback??

I've been on eBay for about 8 years now. It used to really bother me that people wouldn't leave me feedback, particularly when I was building my feedback numbers . I have got to a pont now where I realise that many sellers just don't leave feedback because they either can't be bothered, or don't want to spend the time, or they just forget. I now longer bother to remind them either - it is what it is. There are all kinds on eBay, my goal is to not get scammed these days :shrugs:

I always leave feedback. When I got my vintage Chanel belt off of eBay though, I wasn't pleased because they listed it as being in "excellent" condition but when I got it there were quite a bit of scratches on it (I still love it and wear it though). I chose not to leave any feedback, because I was afraid if I left a negative or neutral that they would in turn give me a negative or neutral feedback even though I paid immediately with BIN.

Other than that, I always leave feedback. I get a bit disappointed when sellers don't return feedback. Sometimes they just take a while. I remember when I first started out on eBay it took one seller 2 months to leave me a feedback!

I agree. I am a powerseller and also state that I leave feedback upon receipt of it. The seller has no clue of what type of feedback to give until they know if the buyer is satisified or not. Fast payment alone is not representative of the ENTIRE transaction experience for a seller. There may be haggling over customs fees, trying to scam you and keep the item and getting their money back, refusing pickup, deciding they just don't like it or changed their mind when you do not take returns etc etc. If a buyer has any issue with the purchase they should discuss this with the seller first offline...negative feedback should NOT but the first awareness that the buyer had an issue and too many try to do that. I especially will not leave it first with new ebayers with low feedback who may not care much about their feedback or are more apt to just leave a negative about any old thing just because. So no, I do not have enough information with payment alone to leave a buyer feedback. The buyer needs to leave it first as their buying experience is complete upon receipt and inspection of the item. My selling experience is NOT complete until I know they are pleased with the purchase and have left feedback to reflect that. Most sellers follow this same mantra. I had one buyer once tell me she does not like sellers who wait for the buyer first and would not buy from me again. I helped her to keep her promise by blocking her from my auctions. I have sold some high end Chanel items that I really would have liked feedback on and sometimes I even gave feedback to the buyer first to encourage them to leave it as I really needed it at the time to build up my Chanel feedback tally. I have about 3 of those transactions where I never got feedback even with reminders sent. At this point as I have over 1000 feedback and a well established selling and buying history, so I really don't care anymore if the buyer leaves me feedback or not. If I get it...great ...if not oh well...I have more than enough. The ones I really do not understand are the buyers with low feedback and why they are so unmotivated to get more. I've had zero and under 5 feedback people not leave feedback knowing that I would not leave it for them until they did. You would think they would need the feedback. I sometimes wonder if for some people it is because they do not want a record of the transaction showing up in the public domain. There have been some purchases where I would have preferred if it was a private listing or that they do not leave me feedback so nosey people that know my ID would not see what I bought and how much I paid.

I personally don't think the seller should leave feedback first. The buyer's feedback is dependant on how they like the item, shipping, communication etc. but the seller's is only on whether the person paid fast or not. IMO, a buyer should leave feedback first. Take this scenario- the seller leaves positive feedback for the buyer because they paid fast. Then the buyer gets the item, hates it or feels it was misrepresented (even if it wasn't) or even baits and switches and asks for a refund which you won't give, they can leave negative and you won't be able to retract your positive feedback.

I have to admit, I used to be one of those buyers that didn't leave feedback if I wasn't impressed with my package. I figured it was better to not leave a negative/neutral feedback and have the other party retaliate by doing the same to me.

When I send an item, I always include a note that says something like, "I hope you enjoy your purchase, I have already left positive feedback for you. If you are happy with this transaction I hope you will do the same." I've found that leaves an impression and I get more feedback that way.

Wow I would never do it in that order! I leave FB last for many reasons.

When I sell an item I usually send a note thanking a buyer for their payment, telling them when to expect shipment, and saying something like "I happily leave feedback for all transactions once I know that the item has arrived safely and that you are pleased with it. You can let me know either via email or by simply leaving your feedback once the item has arrived". That way, I NEVER have to email someone and ask for feedback--which I have been around long enough to know is just asking for trouble. At the very least the buyer doesn't care and will ignore the request for FB; worst case, they're mad about something and you open a can of worms AND you possibly get a neg or neutral. If my buyers don't leave FB I just leave it alone. I think I have several hundred who never left me feedback, but that's OK. Aside from the hundreds who never left any for whatever reason, on my main ID I have nearly 1400 positives but only 1081 of them even show up anyway in my FB number because I have so many repeat buyers. And that's a GOOD thing for both me and my buyers!

I know we all like to see our feedback numbers climbing all the time, but just be patient, keep doing what you are doing, and you will get there. Asking buyers for FB often makes them think you are bugging them for it, and usually doesn't work, so I say just move on to the next person, surprise and delight them, and hope they leave FB!

Wow I would never do it in that order! I leave FB last for many reasons.

When I sell an item I usually send a note thanking a buyer for their payment, telling them when to expect shipment, and saying something like "I happily leave feedback for all transactions once I know that the item has arrived safely and that you are pleased with it. You can let me know either via email or by simply leaving your feedback once the item has arrived". That way, I NEVER have to email someone and ask for feedback--which I have been around long enough to know is just asking for trouble. At the very least the buyer doesn't care and will ignore the request for FB; worst case, they're mad about something and you open a can of worms AND you possibly get a neg or neutral. If my buyers don't leave FB I just leave it alone. I think I have several hundred who never left me feedback, but that's OK. Aside from the hundreds who never left any for whatever reason, on my main ID I have nearly 1400 positives but only 1081 of them even show up anyway in my FB number because I have so many repeat buyers. And that's a GOOD thing for both me and my buyers!

I know we all like to see our feedback numbers climbing all the time, but just be patient, keep doing what you are doing, and you will get there. Asking buyers for FB often makes them think you are bugging them for it, and usually doesn't work, so I say just move on to the next person, surprise and delight them, and hope they leave FB!

Thanks for the great advices! Today I tried to convince myself that people out there are mostly not bad and not trying to scam. And I began to leave FB for those buyers who have a reliably high FB records. I felt quite happy with that now. Of course I am taking some risk that buyer might hassle me after getting positives. But I believe it should be much less than what I have got the 15%. Anyway, I am afraid most buyers are thinking they are buying the items along with the positive FBs.:rolleyes:

I have to admit, I used to be one of those buyers that didn't leave feedback if I wasn't impressed with my package. I figured it was better to not leave a negative/neutral feedback and have the other party retaliate by doing the same to me.
I did that once too. I always leave feedback except for one instance that I mentioned before where I was unimpressed with what I got so I decided not to leave feedback. I was scared that if I left a negative feedback that the seller would get back at me by leaving me a negative feedback as well. I just didn't want to deal with it.

As a buyer at the moment, I'm tempted to hold off on giving any feedback until the seller goes first. I recently had 14 auctions where I went ahead and left positive feedback, and most of them ran out (off the eBay system I mean) with the seller not even bothering to check what's what with their own feedback.

It doesn't really matter given how many hundreds upon hundreds of auctions I've participated in on both sides, but the seller should go first IMO.

Me too, because I do the first part of the transaction - I pay right away. Most sellers don't yet leave feedback, in spite of the fact that my side of the deal is done. Then I e-mail them that I got the item and it's great. Still no feedback. Okay then!!
But - I admit - as a seller, I want them to go first too. It's a catch-22 LOL.
But somehow, I still manage to get most of the feedback :yes:

Well, I only leave feedback about 1-2 times a month. I only leave feedback if my purchase was as described, etc. I bought a dress that was a little dirty so I did not leave feedback. I cleaned it up myself and went on my way. I did not want to leave bad feedback because they could do the same.(Unless I had serious issues then I would leave neg fb) Also, If someone emails me to leave feedback I just don't. I hate being asked to do something until I am ready. If I want to leave FB I will-when I have time-don't be pushy!
Jmo

I am still really really confused as to WHY buyers care if they get a retaliatory negative?? Unless your FB percentage is truly horrendous, no seller is going to cancel your bid on their item for having a negative that they can clearly see is in response to a neg left for a shoddy seller.

This is my main complaint with eBay's feedback system: the people who should be leaving negatives don't and then other unsuspecting buyers end up with negative experiences from that same seller because no one bothered to warn them via feedback.

I have a perfect example of why I do not leave feedback first as a seller today. I have had a buyer just send me a note that they want a return when I do not do returns because the item is not in a Gucci box that is marked "scarf" and does not have the right Gucci tag and does not have a 'store fresh smell'. This is all total hogwash. This items was new from the store and is from 2005 so I guess it is not store fresh but had no smells whatsoever. It was in the original packaging direct from the store in the box they gave me that was in the listing photo with the original tag which also was shown in the listing and has the scarf color and measurements on it! These false claims have lead me to review their feedback and I now see a few issues similar to this in their past. The threat of negative feedback and claims filed are being used to get the refund but I told them to feel free to resell themselves or do whatever they feel they need to do because I do not get held hostage to a fear of a bad feedback. I will gladly take a negative and move forward with an ebay review. In a case like this I am happy to have not left good feedback just because they paid.

I haven't left feedback when I've not been completely happy, for some reason - when I've not been unhappy enough to leave a neutral (although, logically, I probably should have done, anyway, I know!) or neg, but when I've not been happy enough to leave a positive.