Seattle Slew's grandbaby....presenting Amadeus!! *PICS*

kristie

"H" is for horses?
O.G.
Oct 10, 2006
So here is the hopefully one day magnificent Amadeus! He needs a TLC overhaul but I started a little today. For being completely untrained, he has been remarkably easy to get along with *holds breath*....Today I turned him out in a round pen and started a little "You are the horse, I am the human and I deserve a little respect" basic ground work such as walking along the round pen without turning around to change direction until I ask him to. He did SO GOOD! Every time he stopped, he would turn into the center, face me, and walk towards me like "Aren't I doing good? You can pet me now." I also brushed the front half of his body and was able to untangle his long mane which turned out to be silky and gorgeous. The vet is coming out again tomorrow to see how he is doing. I am sure this whole experience will go through MANY phases....some where he is an angel and others where I am going to be very frustrated with him...but so far so good because he has a very sweet disposition.

It was so hard to get a picture of him because he kept following me around the round pen like a dog, I guess he wanted a close-up photo! I tried to get a picture of him picking his halter up off the ground with his teeth and flinging it in the air but he dropped it as soon as the camera came out.

I will post updated pics as he progresses and gets healthier!! Thank you for all of your kind words in my other post about him :heart:

Sorry the pics are so small, for some reason this was the largest size that would download on tPF, you can't really see him that well.

Attachments

• DSC00620.jpg
    DSC00620.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00621.jpg
    DSC00621.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC00622.jpg
    DSC00622.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00623.jpg
    DSC00623.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00624.jpg
    DSC00624.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 135
What a lucky boy! What is his story from before he adopted you?? :flowers: What did he go through to now require so much work?

What a lucky boy! What is his story from before he adopted you?? :flowers: What did he go through to now require so much work?

I posted most of his story in another thread entitled "I just got a yearling, Seattle Slew's grandson."

What I did not write about was about one week ago (the day before I obtained him) he was supposed to go to a large pasture with all of the other yearlings and broodmares so they could be "lawnmowers." A whole group of vaqueros style jerk cowboys put eight horses in a FOUR horse stock trailer. They tried to squeeze in my little Amadeus, who had never even been in a trailer, as the NINTH horse.

Apparently they were pulling on him with ropes and had ropes wrapped behind his hind legs to try and manhandle him into the trailer. Little Amadeus knew he simply could not fit especially after this went on for an hour and he was lathered in sweat and panting (and yes, it is completely ABNORMAL for a horse to pant, they are not like dogs). He finally reared up on his hind legs, flipped over backwards, and fell to the ground exhausted. He refused to get up and just lay on the ground in the dirt, sweating and huffing away.

I guess they called out the emergency vet because everyone there thought he was going to die because he would not get up and literally passed out from fright and exhaustion. A lady who boards her horse there ran out and cradled his head in her lap and talked to him until the vet arrived. He was given IV fluids, electrolytes, antibiotics, etc. and he finally got up and was immediately taken to a stall in the main barn and given a warm bran mash and has been closely monitored since then.

So my poor baby has been through so much already. It's like it was fate for him to not get in that trailer; otherwise, I never would have had the opportunity to take him in. He is so loving for a horse that had such a traumatic experience. I am not too worried about his future and getting into trailers because as long as you use John Lyons (world renowed horse trainer) methods of training, ANY horse can overcome it's fears.

Here's the one I was looking for. I don't mean to hijack your thread but I wanted to post some info about what a great Champion Seatle Slew was.

A Champion Who Kept Going Till the End
By GEORGE VECSEY
IN the final days, his legs skewed out so badly that one of his loving owners, Mickey Taylor, had to prop up his flank with a bare upraised palm, just to keep him moving.

''He went 45 degrees to the right just to go straight ahead,'' Taylor recalled last night, through the tears.

This is no way for a champion to wind up. The Taylors, Mickey and Karen, were with him right up until his peaceful end yesterday morning, 25 years to the day after his winning the Kentucky Derby.

Yet even in these final weeks, Seattle Slew knew exactly where he wanted to go. The starting gate was perhaps not even a memory anymore, although if he had been placed in that steel contraption he would surely have had some vestigial impulse to barrel out of there as fast as he could.

No, even coming out of surgery a few weeks back, Slew's first instinct was to scramble up on all fours and make the walk to the breeding shed, where he excelled as surely as he once did on the track. He won 14 of his 17 races in his time, and his heirs are said to have won $75 million in purses, a quarter of a century after he won the Triple Crown.

He was recuperating from surgery on March 2 to fuse arthritic joints in his neck. He was 28 years old. If Slew had been human, he would have been hailed for reaching triple digits. Nevertheless, at that advanced age, he still had ideas.

''He's doing a tizzy right now,'' Mickey Taylor said in late March, talking on the telephone from Midway, Ky., to Laura Vecsey, my daughter, a sports columnist for The Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

''In the barn where his stall is, we're close to where the mares come in, and he wants them,'' Taylor continued. ''We're supposed to keep him quiet for four weeks, but it's been 25 days since his surgery. He's starting to feel so good in his stall. We've got the door closed and the radio on so he can't hear them, but any time a mare comes into the barn, he thinks it's his.''

They wound up moving him from Three Chimneys Farm in Midway to Hill 'n' Dale Farm, near Lexington, just to get him away from the temptation. Not all champions are good at this line of work, but Slew produced stakes winners right away, as impressively as he won the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness and the Belmont in five weeks in 1977.

Thoroughbred horses impress just about everybody, even those who have no interest in handing over $2 to a ticket vendor or a bookie. Just seeing films of Secretariat in 1973 or of Seattle Slew in 1977 or of Affirmed in 1978 takes your breath away.

''He was such a willing horse,'' Jean Cruguet, who rode the large, dark stallion in 1977, said yesterday. ''All he wanted was to run, but you had to caution him to run properly.''

Cruguet also recalled the bumpy start to the Derby, when Slew bumped into the horse to his right coming out of the gate.

''He came out sideways,'' Cruguet said in awed tones through his thick French accent. ''I had to keep my balance. I couldn't see much, but a jockey never sees much. I just pushed my way to the inside. If we don't, maybe he doesn't win. I didn't want to know.''

Seattle Slew overcame that rude start, and he never really slowed down. In the peak years of his stud duties, his fees reached the high six figures, James Hill, a former co-owner, said yesterday.

If anything, the money works at counter purposes to the Triple Crown. There is reason to think that intense breeding has produced rickety horses who cannot last the pounding, and it is also true that potential breeding fees bring about prudent decisions to retire horses young.

It is mostly about breeding fees, but the Taylors are throwbacks. They have been with Slew almost from the beginning, moving from Washington to Kentucky when Tom Wade, his faithful groom, called the Taylors during their skiing vacation 28 months ago.

''He needed me and Karen,'' Taylor said last night, driving west. ''Anybody else would have put him down.''

Instead, they nursed him through an operation, saw him successfully breed with 43 of 46 mares last year, then saw him deteriorate this spring.

''I knew he would not cry uncle,'' Taylor said.

The Taylors and Wade were in his stall overnight, when he no longer even tried to stand up. If they had chosen euthanasia for their failing champion, that would have been a loving decision, but they said he went peacefully and naturally.

''We have a black labrador, 8 months old, named Chet, after my father,'' Mickey Taylor said last night, sobbing into his cellphone. ''Chet went into his stall, and Slew licked Chet's face, and Chet licked Slew's face. Then Slew looked up at me and said: 'You get on with your life. I've got to go.' ''

''We told him to go to sleep,'' Karen Taylor had said earlier. ''He was very tired. We gave him permission, and he said his goodbyes.''

''He was the greatest,'' added Karen Taylor, who was crying. ''He gave us a lot of love. He was nice enough to let us love him, and we knew we were given a gift.

''He was a very special horse, and now we are going to live the rest of our lives in his name.''

The Taylors had already reached Kansas City. Mickey Taylor said: ''I'm going straight to the ocean and turn right'' -- back home to Washington. They had no reason to stay in the Bluegrass. The last Triple Crown champion is gone.

So my poor baby has been through so much already. It's like it was fate for him to not get in that trailer; otherwise, I never would have had the opportunity to take him in. He is so loving for a horse that had such a traumatic experience. I am not too worried about his future and getting into trailers because as long as you use John Lyons (world renowed horse trainer) methods of training, ANY horse can overcome it's fears.

^It is like you two were meant to be together. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Awww thanks maxster, that was a great story. Holy cow a $300,000 stud fee??? So my baby's daddy must have been one pricey guy before he was even born (my baby's sire (father)was Seattle Slew's son). Such a sweet story tho :P

Oh here he is!! I was just about to riot in that other thread of yours, I've been dying so much to see his pics! :shame:

He's gorgeous, Kristie, and once he's healthier and doing better he'll be an absolute stunner. I love that colouring on horses, he's such a rich shade and those markings are lovely. I suppose though that he hasn't told you yet where he lost that missing sock of his? :P

What an amazing horse his Granddad was.. have you seen his website? http://www.seattleslew.com/ I'm sure you'll see the champion in Amadeus too before long. :flowers:

ETA: Look at this wonderful painting I found, wasn't Granddad beautiful?

242_Seattle_Slew.jpg