Cartier Tank Americaine or Patek twenty-4?

sailorgirl

Feb 14, 2007
I have a big birthday coming up next month and want to get a really special watch to celebrate (or maybe ease the pain of how old I am!) I can't decide between a pre-owned white gold Cartier Tank Americaine or a steel Patek twenty-4. I would love the small rose gold twenty-4 but that is way out of my price range. Which do you think is most wearable? Is the Patek mostly for dress wear? Also a jeweler advised me that white gold eventually wears off to show yellow. Has this happened to anyone?

If you have the funds,definately the Patek,gorgeous!!! steel Patek is very wearable and easier to re-furbish,and less expensive to do so.
White gold does'nt 'wear' off its the rhodium coating used to 'whiten up'the sometimes creamy white of white gold,make it a sharper white,usually good quality white gold is quite white so you don't really see the wear that easily,Cartier actually use a very good quality white gold and then rhodium coat it,and Cartier does charge a bomb for this re-coating.
Incidentally,such is the superb quality of white gold that Patek use they don't coat it,but put it next to a coated w/g Cartier and you can see a slight creaminess to it.
Either watch,really as they are both beautiful,and both have good points,Cartier good quality gold,Patek easy to wear steel.

Both are gorgeous watches and I like both of them. That being said, my next watch purchase will be a Patek 24 :yes: It is a very feminine watch, but it can easily be worn during the day because of the steel bracelet.

I have a WG Cartier Tank Americaine and it's simply the best watch I have ever owned. You can dress it up or down and it looks great mixed with platinum, white gold or pearl jewelry pieces. I can't live without it. I get compliments on it all the time.
If it's better for your budget than the Patek, go for it! :tup:

I have a WG Cartier Tank Americaine and it's simply the best watch I have ever owned. You can dress it up or down and it looks great mixed with platinum, white gold or pearl jewelry pieces. I can't live without it. I get compliments on it all the time.
If it's better for your budget than the Patek, go for it! :tup:

Actually the Cartier is $5K more than the Patek. Even though it is a 2000 model. If I were to get a new one it would be $9K more than the 24!

If you have the funds,definately the Patek,gorgeous!!! steel Patek is very wearable and easier to re-furbish,and less expensive to do so.
White gold does'nt 'wear' off its the rhodium coating used to 'whiten up'the sometimes creamy white of white gold,make it a sharper white,usually good quality white gold is quite white so you don't really see the wear that easily,Cartier actually use a very good quality white gold and then rhodium coat it,and Cartier does charge a bomb for this re-coating.
Incidentally,such is the superb quality of white gold that Patek use they don't coat it,but put it next to a coated w/g Cartier and you can see a slight creaminess to it.
Either watch,really as they are both beautiful,and both have good points,Cartier good quality gold,Patek easy to wear steel.

Wow, you really know a great deal about watches and the different houses. It's a difficult choice but I think I am leaning toward the Patek.

If you can afford a Patek then you must buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing compares to what I consider to be the holy grail of watches.

generally i agree patek is really fine BUT the twenty-4 is quartz movement (with the exception of one joaillerie model which is available with manual movement) so from the technical point both cartier and patek are in the same league. patek only gets superior when it comes to what made them famous and earned their reputaion - the movement.

Wow, you really know a great deal about watches and the different houses. It's a difficult choice but I think I am leaning toward the Patek.
I was in the jewellery trade for 14/15 years and was priviliged enough to work with Patek,pretty much all the other top flight brands as well. As I mentioned before both watches are stunningly lovely and have good points that put them on a fairly even score.

The Cartier for all out ladylike glamour,you are really hard pushed to beat,and if you wear an Americaine,anyone who knows the brand will know within an instant that its a precious metal,thats all they come in,one of Cartiers exclusivity signatures,rather like the Rolex President bracelet,it only comes in precious metal,another exclusivity thing.

If you wanted a really exclusive high end watch,and don't mind the fact its not quite as instantly reconised as the Cartier then the Patek is more for you.Patek is considered the Holy Grail and are credited as being among the best in the world,much higher up in these stakes than the Cartier.They are incredibly respected within the watch making world.

Actually to add a footnote the Patek 24 is not that disimilar to the Cartier Tank Francais............................

Really it depends on what switches you on more,personally I would go for the Patek,I would'nt mind its not as recognisable as the Cartier.But if I was rich enough I would have both and more!!!!XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX