Food anyone have a good (easy) veg. or chicken soup recipe?

To make an easy chicken soup. Use skinless chicken breasts, add in rough cut celery (with leaves), onions, and carrots...you can also add a leek and a bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Because, you are not going to get the flavor from the whole chicken and bones, cover with chicken stock (kitchen basics in the box is excellent). cover and simmer for about 35-45 minutes, up to an hour depending on the size of your chicken breast (check your chicken, it should shread easy). strain the chicken and vegtables...discard the veggies& bay leaf, save the broth, of course ;) while the chicken is cooling enough for you to shread. Sweat chopped carrots, onions, and celery (if you are lazy like me, you can just buy the already cut mirepoix) in some butter. Shread the chicken. Add the chicken and mirepoix back in to broth, bring back to boil..test for seasoning..add salt and pepper as needed.

Super lazy method...buy the 'just chicken' from Trader Joes, sweat the mirepoix and add together with chicken broth.

Longer method, substitute whole chicken for breasts, use water instead of broth, increase simmer time to 60-75 minutes.

If you want you can add rice or noodles when you put it all back together. For rice bring to a boil and simmer an extra 15-20 minutes. For noodles, only about 10 minutes.

Good luck :smile:

Adding fresh mint leaves when it's done, and boiling for a couple more minutes gives it a really nice pop of flavor, too. It's my mom's secret!

Great idea, sounds delicious! I love mint leaves and will have to try that :smile:

I also love adding a little lemon juice when it's done. :drool:
Cilantro is also good for some different flavor.

I do cilantro too...but I love cilantro and so does my family. I don't use it, if I don't know what others like...since it tends be one of those love it or hate it things.

I don't like mint at all, so that doesn't sound good to me...but DH loves it, so I will try that for him (in his own bowl...lol) next time.