Food Post Vegetarian Recipes here..

Here's a couple that I fix:

Vegetarian Taco Salad

1 pound can black beans, drained
1 pound can Mexican-style corn (the kind with the peppers), drained
1 16-ounce jar salsa (or a pint of fresh if you have good stuff available)
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 bag shredded lettuce
1 bag of Fritos or other tortilla chips, 1 oz. per person

Crunch up the tortilla chips and mix everything together.

Rhoda's Marinara Sauce

1 large can (28 to 32 ounce) of chopped/diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste

2-3 TBL EV olive oil

2 cloves garlic (minced)

1 TBL dried basil (Add chopped fresh basil leaves too if you have them)

1 TSP dried oregano

1/4 TSP dried red pepper flakes (to taste)

Salt & Pepper to taste

Small can sliced black olives

In saucepan, drizzle olive oil in bottom & heat to medium, press garlic or mince & saute in olive oil for couple of minutes. Add large can tomatoes, along with the tomato paste. Add rest of ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower & simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over fresh pasta.

Oooh! I made a yummy vegetarian paella for my birthday bash. My sister and a lot of the members of one of my favorite bands (who my bf hired to play as my present! :love:) are all vegetarians and I whipped up a lot of veggie food. I'll dig out the recipe when I get home from work!

Here's a couple that I fix:

Vegetarian Taco Salad

1 pound can black beans, drained
1 pound can Mexican-style corn (the kind with the peppers), drained
1 16-ounce jar salsa (or a pint of fresh if you have good stuff available)
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 bag shredded lettuce
1 bag of Fritos or other tortilla chips, 1 oz. per person

Crunch up the tortilla chips and mix everything together.

Rhoda's Marinara Sauce

1 large can (28 to 32 ounce) of chopped/diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste

2-3 TBL EV olive oil

2 cloves garlic (minced)

1 TBL dried basil (Add chopped fresh basil leaves too if you have them)

1 TSP dried oregano

1/4 TSP dried red pepper flakes (to taste)

Salt & Pepper to taste

Small can sliced black olives

In saucepan, drizzle olive oil in bottom & heat to medium, press garlic or mince & saute in olive oil for couple of minutes. Add large can tomatoes, along with the tomato paste. Add rest of ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower & simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over fresh pasta.

THANK YOU :drool:

this is a superyummy recipe that i tried yesterday and will definitely make again!

* 2 large eggplants, preferably an oblong variety
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 pound meatless veggie ground round -- or if you're not into meat substitutes, omit completely
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 large green pepper, chopped
* 4 large cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
* 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, slightly crushed (see note below)
* 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed with fingers, and the juices
* 2 cups cooked rice
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Half the eggplants lengthwise. Remove enough of the inside to leave about a 1/2-inch shell. Chop the part you remove and reserve. Place the eggplant halves in a microwavable dish. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high just until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove wrap and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350° F. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Add the onion, green peppers, reserved chopped eggplant, garlic, oregano, fennel, basil, salt and pepper. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ground round, crumbling with a spoon as you stir. Add the tomatoes, reserving about 1/2 cup of the juice for later. Place in a large bowl. Add the rice and mix well. When slightly cooled, add the grated cheeses. Taste for seasoning.

Place the eggplant halves in a lightly greased baking dish in one layer. Fill each with the rice mixture, pressing down firmly to stuff well. (If there is extra stuffing, arrange it around the stuffed eggplants. ) Drizzle with the reserved tomato juice and extra grated Parmesan. Then drizzle with a little olive oil. Cover tightly with foil and bake until hot and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest about 5 minutes before serving.

Mozzarella Salad

cherry tomatoes (cut in halves)
iceberg salad
ruccola
sundried tomatoes
(in oil, preferably flavored with basil. make sure it's something you like, as the oil is what gives the salad that yummy flavor)
mozzarella (fresh, sliced)

mix all the veggies together, put the mozzarella on top and sprinkle the herb flavored oil over the salad. :flowers:

Taco Salad

1 tomato (cut into tiny squares)
1 small can of corn
cheese
(ground)
iceberg salad
sour cream
taco salad
tortilla chips
(crushed into bitesize pieces)

Layer everything on a plate, cover it with a generous amount of sour cream and taco sauce and put tortilla chips on top. :flowers:

This is not a *true* vegetarian recipe as it includes cheese and eggs, but it is DIVINE! We make it at least once a week and use low-fat cheeses.It is SUPER easy to throw together, and You can experiment with your fave veggies and cheeses as it is VERY forgiving!! It's from a vintage Bon Appetit or Gourmet.

ENJOY!
Spinach and Ricotta Pie:

3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 16-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
8 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs, beaten to blend

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Sauté until all liquid from spinach evaporates, about 3 minutes.
Combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in large bowl. Mix in eggs. Add spinach mixture; blend well. Spoon cheese mixture into dish. Bake until filling is set in center and do the clean knife test, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut pie into wedges.

Keya, I'm the same way! I'm also lactose intolerant, but cheese doesn't seem to bother me except for heavy-creamy sauces. Thank god for cheese, it is my most prominent source of protein!

I'm lacto ovo.. hehe.. haven't had fish for ages..

Thanks for the recipes.. I usually stir-fry vegetables and tofu together.. I love cheese..

As I don't eat fish, I take lots of soy products.. Dairy often increases mucus production for me, so I end up sniffly.. But cheese, I can't give up!

This is not a *true* vegetarian recipe as it includes cheese and eggs, but it is DIVINE! We make it at least once a week and use low-fat cheeses.It is SUPER easy to throw together, and You can experiment with your fave veggies and cheeses as it is VERY forgiving!! It's from a vintage Bon Appetit or Gourmet.

ENJOY!
Spinach and Ricotta Pie:

3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 16-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
8 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs, beaten to blend

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Sauté until all liquid from spinach evaporates, about 3 minutes.
Combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in large bowl. Mix in eggs. Add spinach mixture; blend well. Spoon cheese mixture into dish. Bake until filling is set in center and do the clean knife test, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut pie into wedges.

I finally made this and it is WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for the recipe. I will definately make it again. :flowers:

I just realized that both my recipes have cheese in them as well. I'm lacto-ovo-pesco (some would refer to it as pescetarian) so I didn't reflect over that until just now :flowers:

I'm the same!!! Actually, I never state I'm a vegetarian but a few of my Vegan/Vegetarian friends call me a "bad vegetarian". :lol: I like that label.

This is one of my favorites (not Vegan but I'm sure you could omit the cheese) from Giada de Laurentis (I add some fresh garlic).....

1 pound spaghetti
2/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.

Some other quick and easy favorites in our house that are semi-carnivore and kid friendly.......

Veggie chili served over spaghetti noodles and topped with shredded cheddar cheese

Spaghetti sauce (a jar will do in a pinch) with chunks of sauteed zucchini, sliced mushrooms, onions, and garlic served over spaghetti (dang, I eat a lot of pasta).

Refried bean enchiladas - corn tortillas (soften in microwave for a few seconds before rolling) rolled up with bean (refried or even whole black beans) filling and topped with enchilada sauce. Top with cheese if desired (but it tastes great without) and bake. YUM!!!

Breaded eggplant- slice eggplant into slices, pat dry with paper towels to removed excess moisture, dip in egg (or something else if you don't eat eggs, maybe a soy milk), then dip in bread crumbs, and pan fry in olive oil. To die for. Top with marinara if desired but they're good without sauce too.

Don't forget soups. I create all sorts of soups by using up any leftover or over ripe veggies I have in the house. I never follow a recipe and I honestly don't think you can screw up a soup. Just remember to only add about 3 or 4 different spices max unless you're an experienced cook.