Help! Lip wax gone wrong

balihai88

O.G.
Jul 31, 2006
I was getting a mani-pedi yesterday and this place also does waxing, so I had them do my eyebrows and upper lip (I don't typically go there for waxing but I thought I'd try killing two birds with one stone). Eyebrows were fine but I think she burnt my upper lip, right below my nose. The skin is red and irritated. At first I thought I was reacting to something she put on afterwards, but even after she took off whatever lotion/gel she put on my skin was still irritated. So now, a day later, it's still red and irritated. Any suggestions on what I can do to help calm the redness? I don't normally have sensitive skin and I haven't had problems with waxing in the past, but this sucks :cursing:

Sometimes you can develop a reaction to the actual wax, and sometimes it's just to the heat. If it's still red, try a bit of hydrocortisone cream/ointment. It should calm the irritation

The first time I ever got my lip waxed the wax was too hot and burnt my upper lip. It was more than a little embarrassing walking around for three weeks with an obviously gone wrong upper lip job on display! But I used something called Paw Paw Ointment. I'm not sure if it's available where you are, but it was one of the most soothing things I found and it did the trick!

I was getting a mani-pedi yesterday and this place also does waxing, so I had them do my eyebrows and upper lip (I don't typically go there for waxing but I thought I'd try killing two birds with one stone). Eyebrows were fine but I think she burnt my upper lip, right below my nose. The skin is red and irritated. At first I thought I was reacting to something she put on afterwards, but even after she took off whatever lotion/gel she put on my skin was still irritated. So now, a day later, it's still red and irritated. Any suggestions on what I can do to help calm the redness? I don't normally have sensitive skin and I haven't had problems with waxing in the past, but this sucks :cursing:
First of all please dont go back to the same place. Sounds like the wax is too hot. Or go back and tell them. Is it still red? Aloe vera cream is anti inflammatory or maybe E45. But avoid anything perfumed. Good luck..

i agree with moi et mes sacs, go back to the place and compliant.

did you put makeup on ur upper lip within 24hrs of waxing? if you did, it might be the makeup that infected the hair follicle. and your therapist should of given you all the information on after care if she didnt. especially when you've never had waxing experience before.

i dont know if you have ella bache retailers around you, but they have a product called "problem skin lotion" which is really good for soothing irratated skin and anti-bacterial.
if you dont, try tee tree oil, it works the same.

This has happened to me before. I get my mani-pedis and my lip wax at the same place for a while now with no problems but the last 2 times i got red burns marks on part of upper lip close to my nose. The first time I thought I didn't have enough of their soothing gel on it but the second time I definitely made sure to have enough but I still got red marks. The weird part is that out of the entire waxed area, only a small part got irritated. The salon felt bad and suggested my upper lip was too sensitive for their wax. :sad: