Flat Iron Smell Question

Oct 21, 2006
My flat iron is a few years old, however I won't part with it. It does the job really well, and in half the time of other ones I've tried. The only problem is that after I straighten my hair, it SMELLS like the heated flat iron! (I don't think I'm burning my hair at all so it doesn't really smell like burnt hair.) I've changed shampoos and I've found one I absolutely love, so I kind of don't want to change that either.

Is there anything I can do to help/prevent this? My hair is completely dry when I straighten it...it isn't a damp smell. I just love the smell of my shampoo but hate how it comes out after I straighten my hair. Am I the only one with this problem? Is there anything I can put in my hair after to make it not smell like the flat iron? :confused1:

This is really starting to annoy me lately!

I know what you mean. I think the smell comes from the really hot plates. Those plates are really really hot you know. Might wanna try look for a product to put on before you iron your hair. Me, I'm using Kerastase Oleo Relax (after shampooing and before ironing), then Kerastase Vernis Sculpt to give the hair a boost of shine afterwards. These products smell heavenly, and the smell can overcome the heating smell that you were talking about.
I have a dry hair with oily scalp. Might wanna try find a product that suits your hair type.
My shampoo also smells nice, and I love it. But yes, after ironing the nice smell of the shampoo is gone, replaced with that heated smell.

I know what you mean. I think the smell comes from the really hot plates. Those plates are really really hot you know. Might wanna try look for a product to put on before you iron your hair. Me, I'm using Kerastase Oleo Relax (after shampooing and before ironing), then Kerastase Vernis Sculpt to give the hair a boost of shine afterwards. These products smell heavenly, and the smell can overcome the heating smell that you were talking about.
I have a dry hair with oily scalp. Might wanna try find a product that suits your hair type.
My shampoo also smells nice, and I love it. But yes, after ironing the nice smell of the shampoo is gone, replaced with that heated smell.

Thank you! I also have dry hair with an oily scalp. I'm going to look into these products. :tup:

I use Kerastase Resistance Ciment Thermique (it's a hair heat protector) when the hair is still damp, then I blow it dry. Then, I'll use the flat iron. When I'm done, I use Kerastase Oleo Relax (just a little bit) to give my hair the shininess and keep it straight.

Try Biosilk and Mizani, that's what I use and they're both really good! Or you could always buy a perfume for your hair! :smile:

They make perfume for your hair? I know that sounds like a stupid question lol but I never put perfume in my hair as I'm afraid it will dry it out. Do they make it specifically for hair?

I use Kerastase Resistance Ciment Thermique (it's a hair heat protector) when the hair is still damp, then I blow it dry. Then, I'll use the flat iron. When I'm done, I use Kerastase Oleo Relax (just a little bit) to give my hair the shininess and keep it straight.

Thanks Alyce. Sarahcantiik suggested Kerastase Oleo Relax also. I like the idea of a hair heat protector, maybe I'll try that also. Thanks!