**** - The UNKNOWN EBAYERS

Socialite

Fashionista
Aug 9, 2006
Who the hell are these **** ebayers. They have very little feedback, sometimes there name starts with a letter then stars * or a letter then star then letter.

Im so pissed with them, they seem to just bid on items for the sake of it and never win. They have their f/back as private.

Has anyone else experienced them ??

That is what ebay uses to protect bidders' identities when the auction is over a certain amount (over $200 I believe). You will see only the name of the high bidder at the end. They used to use bidder1, bidder2, etc, but now use two random letters from the id with *** in between.

There is a thread about it here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/whats-up-with-the-anonymous-bidder-176754.html

Hi, No some of the auctions are like $1, and still ***, its really annoying me because its happening all the time, they bid on things on and off like they are pushing the price up.

Hi, No some of the auctions are like $1, and still ***, its really annoying me because its happening all the time, they bid on things on and off like they are pushing the price up.

Does the auction have a reserve? If the auction has reserve over $200, then I also find the bidders are all *** from the beginning.

OMG, I hate them with a passion! They completely drove up the price of a wallet I had my heart set on - in the first 2 days of the auction! I couldn't believe my max bid was surpassed not once but twice! And all of these boneheads are 0 feedback bidders. I'll bet if they won they'd be nonpaying bidders as well.

OMG, I hate them with a passion! They completely drove up the price of a wallet I had my heart set on - in the first 2 days of the auction! I couldn't believe my max bid was surpassed not once but twice! And all of these boneheads are 0 feedback bidders. I'll bet if they won they'd be nonpaying bidders as well.

yes exactly what happens to me, they mostly have no feeback or very little, they are so annoying :smile:

You can ask eBay about it for the specific auction, report it as a possible shill bid. It used to confuse the heck out of me and I thought the same suspicious thoughts, but i do think it's generally the eBay policy and not the buyer hiding their ID.

Shill bidding is only if you or a "friend" are bidding up your auction just to raise the price up.
If a stranger just bids, it's just considered regular bidding and eBay won't do anything about it, that is unless they win and then disappear...

I really hate eBay's new "concealed" bidder thing; it's so stupid!!! If a seller doesn't want others to see who's bidding on their things, then run a private auction, but for eBay to blot out names like that for security's sake, is darn right stupid! Why do it? If you are a buyer on eBay, you should read all the rules and be aware that there are scammers out there, thus know when you get a fake email, which to me is so obvious!:Push: