Zits due to lip gloss/balm

LaurenAshley85

Loves Mr. Turtle!!
Mar 24, 2007
I just posted a whole long thing and my internet decided at that very moment to go down. Now I'm pissed.

Long story short, I get zits along my lipline due to lip glosses. I was a big lip gloss girl and eventually had to stop because the zits were just obnoxious. I recently went to Walgreens and they had a display of Burt's Bees products and I was curious. I heard a lot of good things about them and wanted to try them out. I bought the Lip Shimmer in Guava and Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil. The Lip Shimmer is really nice and doesn't bother me at all. It has a nice minty taste/feel that I really like and a pretty frosty pink color to it. The Pomegranate balm is my favorite because it goes on very smooth and has a nice taste/smell. Only problem is it's making my bottom lip along my lip line itch a bit. Not horribly itchy, but a dull itch every now and then. I'm worried that I'm going to start getting zits again. If not on my lip line, then right below my bottom lip on the left and right side (where most adult acne is, you guys KWIM, right?). I haven't noticed anything yet and before I go to bed tonight I'm going to make sure to wash around my lips very well and apply some ZapZyt to my problem areas. I just really love these products and hate that I get zits. My skin is naturally dry and I don't apply the balm too often, just during my morning class because my lips tend to get dry when I'm sitting there. I'm not allergic to bees or bee bi-products. Does this happen to anybody else?

I get zits on the lipline if I use mineral oil lip stuff like Vascelene or Aquaphor (when theyre REALLY dry). Although they make my lips soft, the blemishes arnt worth it.

you're not alone! occassionally i have the same problem... i am a MAC girl, and i've noticed if i use any type of gloss regularly i will get a pimple right under my lip. i try to stick to using vaseline (sounds weird but i never have dry lips as a result of using it!).

I actually broke out around my mouth area everytime I used Lancome Juicy Tubes, took a few times of wearing the gloss to realize it was the gloss that was making me break out so I just stopped using it

I've got one right now, just to the left of my cupid's bow. :Push: I just try to be really careful when I apply lipgloss, since it spreads time passes anyway.

i, too, have the same problem. although not exactly zits. but my top and bottom lip line gets red and it gets itchy.

this morning my lips were dry and i put on regular chapstick. in the afternoon my lips were a little bit swelling.. i had to wipe it off and put vaseline.. it's like my lips got stung by a bee or something..

this morning my lips were dry and i put on regular chapstick. in the afternoon my lips were a little bit swelling.. i had to wipe it off and put vaseline.. it's like my lips got stung by a bee or something..

LOL - a lot of people pay good money for products that do this! :lol:

Seriously, though, LaurenAshley, it sounds like you might have either an allergic reaction, as the other girls have said, or perhaps a fungal/mite infection. I knw this sounds gross, but it's not as bad as it seems.

Often, when fungus affects the skin, it shows relatively low impact symptoms (bumps, itchiness) which then disappear and lie dormant for a while. If you are constantly applying the same lip gloss, you "infect" your gloss and the bacteria thrives in there and is reapplied on your lips every time you use the lip gloss.

A trip to the doctor might be worthwghile. Fungi or mites need a topical cream to get rid of the infection (this can take 14 days to 1 month, even when symptoms completely disappear)... if that works, throw out your lip gloss and buy a totally new one!

good luck!

I think you probably have very sensitive skin. It's an allergic reaction based on your description. Hence that product is not suitable for you. Years ago I wanted to try a different brand and bought a lipstick from Clinique. Within minutes of application, I've got lips like Angelina Jolie's and it was damn itchy. I decided to stick to the brands I've been using for years that did not give me any problems. So for your case, you may have to switch to a different brand.

I don't get this sort of reaction from lip gloss, but if I eat foods taht are very greasy or salty or spicy (fries from McD's, hotwings, ets.) I tend to get little bumps on my lips. I have to wash my mouth off with soap and water as soon as I finish eating something like that or suffer the consequences.

I have the same problem. I haven't pinpointed the problem ingredients, but I know cost isn't a factor. I was using L'Oreal Color Juice for weeks without a problem, but when I switched to Chanel gloss for a few days I broke out like crazy all around my mouth. :sad: