Opinions? Vuitton is the McDonald's of the luxury industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niasb

NYC Shopper Girl
O.G.
Feb 3, 2007
This is my first thread and I thought it would spark some healthy opinion exchanges. :smile: I came across a post regarding Dana Thomas and why she was banned from yesterday's Louis Vuitton ready-to-wear show in Paris. A little blurb for you from Second City Style:

In yesterday's NY Post it was reported that Dana Thomas from Newsweek was banned from yesterday's Louis Vuitton ready-to-wear show in Paris. In her book "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost It's Luster" she wrote, "Vuitton is the McDonald's of the luxury industry:it's far and away the leader, brags of millions sold, has stores at all the top tourist sites - usually steps away from a McD's - and has a logo as recognizable as the Golden Arches."

I am more of a BBag girl but most bag 'coleccionistas' have at least one LV bag in their closet. My first LV was a Vernis Houston I purchased a couple years back. I find myself hesitant to purchase any more Vuittons because I feel that the mass production of LV is devaluating the brand. :sad:

Do you think Louis Vuitton is the McDonald's of the luxury industry? If so, do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing?

It doesn't bother me. That's her opinion. I love LV for their quality, durability, and the design itself....I'm a speedy fanatic. I've owned ALL of the other brands and I always end up back to LV.

It is recognized because it has staying power and has been around for decades. There are generations of women and men who know this brand and carry that knowledge with them. Legendary, that is what Louis Vuitton means.

While I carry many brands of bags from Bbags, Koobas, Chloe to Fendi, I also have a LV in my closet and bring her out to prance on my arm.

McDonalds? No. Louis Vuitton is a fine filet mignon.

You are both right. :smile: But I've been told that your better off investing in a limited edition LV bag, then the more common monogrammed style, due to the oversaturation in the market.

By the way, I love McDonalds so I didn't find the comment insulting but she did cheapen the brand with the comparison.

It is recognized because it has staying power and has been around for decades. There are generations of women and men who know this brand and carry that knowledge with them. Legendary, that is what Louis Vuitton means.

While I carry many brands of bags from Bbags, Koobas, Chloe to Fendi, I also have a LV in my closet and bring her out to prance on my arm.

McDonalds? No. Louis Vuitton is a fine filet mignon.

While I do see both sides...I'm TOTALLLY agreeing with you on this one!:yes:

It is true that there are scads of the normal monogram styles out there in the marketplace.

Take, for example, the Petite Noe I carry. They have been making that bag for 80 years, that is an eternity in handbag years, but they keep making them because they continue to sell. The styles are timeless and will be carried far into the future.

Will we see Marc Jacob Stams, Chloe Paddingtons and Fendi Spys still being made 80 years from now? I think not.

As far as investment purposes, buy a bag because it makes your heart ~~race~~ and you simply cannot imagine life without it. Then, and only then, should you trade your hard earned money for a pouch to carry your stuff. Look at it as an adornment to your personal style, something that makes you, you.

Status
Not open for further replies.