Wanting to go to spain

Ladybug09

So Sweet!
O.G.
Aug 2, 2007
Ok ladies and gents, I assume this is the place to post this.

I have a big bday coming up in a few months, and I am going to buy me my first LV bag, but along with that I have always wanted to go to spain! My bday is in Jan, and I would be going along with some friends if I can round up a group.

I have one other dilemma, I may be going to a wedding that is on a cruise so this may delay the trip (instead of taking it in my bday month).

Ok, from you, for those of you who have been, where do you suggest I go Barcelona, Madrid, etc, I am looking to stay when I go about 4-5 days. I want to see sites, but I don't have to be one of those people to go to EVERY tourist attraction. Really I love shopping, so that would be high on the list!

I welcome any ideas you may have. Also, this will be my 1st time travelling outside of the US.

Thanks!:yahoo:

do you like night life? do you want to be in a big city or would you preffer somewhere quiet?
i live spain, bercelona is incredible. it has the night life, things to see during the day, great musuems and galleries and good shops.

I'm not a clubber, but I would go out once or so while there. Definitly love museums (anything artsy), and I heard with Barcelona being on the Mediterranean, that's an added bonus. I also love doing stuff like eating different foods, wine and cheese stuff, and of course shopping.

Umm, I don't mind quiet or loud, but since I would be going with a group of say 3-5 girlfriends, I think we would need a variety of activities, so probably in the city. If I were going with a bf I would say a nice romantic get away in the countryside.

i would def say go to barcelona over madrid.
theres a ton of good restaurants and nice little individual shops as well as the big brands. i think its more of young persons city than madrid.
im sure someone will dissagree with me though.

Definitely Barcelona. It is an amazing city. Amazing food off La Rambla - if you go down a sidestreet there's a huge market selling fresh fruit and veggies. Really good fresh fruit juice there. Have fun!

Since this is your first trip outside the US, def go to Barcelona for the sightseeing and shopping. All the Gaudi spots are amazing! You must see La Sagrada Familia, Parque Guell, and the Picasso Museum. Las Ramblas is fun for people watching. Shopping is awesome in Barcelona as well. If you want to see museums galore, go to Madrid. Also, partying is way better in Madrid from my experience (I studied there). For a first time visit though, Barcelona is the way to go. Have fun!

i would def say go to barcelona over madrid.
theres a ton of good restaurants and nice little individual shops as well as the big brands. i think its more of young persons city than madrid.
im sure someone will dissagree with me though.

Yup, I disagree. I've been to both cities and I'm in love with Madrid. I can never get enough. I miss it when I'm not there. I loved Barcelona too, incredible city to visit. I think that if you're going for such a short time you should go to Madrid. Museums, parks, the food :drool:, la Gran Via, Fuencarral St (all the funky stores!!), la Plaza del Sol...I can go on and on. I'll probably be the minority here but I love Spain for it's way of life an culture, not the nightlife.

Wow, I'd love to go to Spain...you're a lucky gal! My brother's girlfriend went to Barcelona and she loved it..especially the artitecture. I'd say Barcelona is your best choice if you enjoy art.

Culture wise, of course you have "El Prado" museum in Madrid, but Barcelona has EVERYTHING in one (culture, shopping, food, sea) !!! It has the Picasso museum, Miro museum, Dali (a bit outside though), amazing architectures from Gaudi, the architecture and atmosphere changes from a small area to another it's like a big patchwork. and the street art wow...
Plus, if you go in January, since it's next to the mediterranean see the weather will be milder than in madrid, it's in the middle of the country so freezing cold.
All young Europeans are desperate to move to Barcelona...that says it all !!!

I've been to Barcelona, Madrid and the Basque region. If I had to pick just one, I'd pick Barcelona. Lots of sights and the TAPAS... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Wow, you guys are better than a travel agent! I'm definitely keeping track of this stuff, So far, I'm leaning toward Barcelona....

Any particular hotels you would recommend? I'm not trying to pay for luxury, but neither am I trying to stay at at dump, just middle of the road.