Food Spicy vegetarian lo mein recipe?

Tammy518

Just one more...
Jan 3, 2006
I'm looking for a simple but tasty spicy vegetarian lo mein recipe. I'll probably just use spaghetti for the noodles, and maybe some shredded carrots and some water chestnuts, snow peas, etc. What I really need is a simple "sauce" to mix it all up with. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a simple but tasty spicy vegetarian lo mein recipe. I'll probably just use spaghetti for the noodles, and maybe some shredded carrots and some water chestnuts, snow peas, etc. What I really need is a simple "sauce" to mix it all up with. Any suggestions?

Try using egg noodle- it's in the same isle as spaghetti.
for sauce, dissolve chicken bouillon in water, add tsp. white wine, sugar, salt and chopped garlic, and thinly sliced Thai chili, or thinly sliced chilis of any kind, prefferably the smaller the seeds inside the better..bring to a boil add starch to thicken, pour over cooked noodle, cooked meat and veggies..this is good, you'll love it :smile: try green onion and (pre cooked, all the water out) mushrooms in the mix, it will compliment the sauce well.

Try using egg noodle- it's in the same isle as spaghetti.
for sauce, dissolve chicken bouillon in water, add tsp. white wine, sugar, salt and chopped garlic, and thinly sliced Thai chili, or thinly sliced chilis of any kind, prefferably the smaller the seeds inside the better..bring to a boil add starch to thicken, pour over cooked noodle, cooked meat and veggies..this is good, you'll love it :smile: try green onion and (pre cooked, all the water out) mushrooms in the mix, it will compliment the sauce well.

This does sound good, but I can't use either the egg noodles or chicken broth. My son is a vegetarian and doesn't eat any animal products except milk and cheese. Do you think I couple substitute vegetarian broth instead?

Our grocery store has gobs of "prefab" Asian sauces (in the pasta asile in our store). You might want to try that, checking the ingredients of course. Lemongrass sauce has an awesome vinegar type kick to it. Anything with wasabi in it is going to be spicy. A Pad Thai sauce would be spicy too. No muss, no fuss with the bottles sauces. Just dump them on your sauteed veggies, etc. and you've got dinner. ;)

My DDs favorite meal is Lo Mein. Here's her favorite:

1 lb. Spaghetti, whole grain
1 Onion, large
1-1/2 tbsp. Garlic, crushed
3-4 Carrots
1 Zucchini Squash, large
1-2 Broccoli stalks
1 Bell or Italian Pepper, red or green
1-2 Tomato (optional)
1 tbsp. Ginger, ground
Hot Sauce or Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
1/4 cup Soy Sauce

Our grocery store has gobs of "prefab" Asian sauces (in the pasta asile in our store). You might want to try that, checking the ingredients of course. Lemongrass sauce has an awesome vinegar type kick to it. Anything with wasabi in it is going to be spicy. A Pad Thai sauce would be spicy too. No muss, no fuss with the bottles sauces. Just dump them on your sauteed veggies, etc. and you've got dinner. ;)

I poked around in the store yesterday, looking for some ready made sauce, and found this by Kikkoman's. Hopefully it's good!

http://www.kikkomanusa.com/_pages/consumer/prod_indiv.asp?loc=101&pfid=22&pfiid=42

My DDs favorite meal is Lo Mein. Here's her favorite:

1 lb. Spaghetti, whole grain
1 Onion, large
1-1/2 tbsp. Garlic, crushed
3-4 Carrots
1 Zucchini Squash, large
1-2 Broccoli stalks
1 Bell or Italian Pepper, red or green
1-2 Tomato (optional)
1 tbsp. Ginger, ground
Hot Sauce or Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
1/4 cup Soy Sauce

Sounds great!

This does sound good, but I can't use either the egg noodles or chicken broth. My son is a vegetarian and doesn't eat any animal products except milk and cheese. Do you think I couple substitute vegetarian broth instead?
Yes sounds great..or you can make your own..simple celery, onion and carrot broth will do!! (YOu can add a nice edge by quickly sauteee some chopped garlic and then add it to the broth)