One day in NYC -- which bag to bring?

pixiechic

So thankful.
O.G.
Apr 20, 2006
In a couple of weeks I'm off on a business trip to NYC just for one day, to attend a vendor/client meeting. Of course, my first thought was...which bag do I bring? It doesn't have to fit a laptop -- If I need to bring mine, I will carry it separately -- but should be big enough for my usual stuff plus a bottle of water and maybe something to read. Because it's a business function, I don't want a mono bag (so LV is out). It seems like black is most appropriate for NY, but I don't want to limit myself too much.

Here are my current not-too-casual choices:
- Black Balenciaga City -- basic black, lightweight, slightly edgy
- Violet Balenciaga City -- the same bag, but a bit more fun/different
- Brown-sugar-colored Miu Miu Bow Satchel -- roomy, fun but classy, a bit heavier
- Ebene (very dark brown) Hermes Bolide -- roomy, elegant, under the radar...but I might worry about stowing it under the plane seat

Possible other choices (don't have them now, could maybe get before my trip):
- Pewter Cole Haan Village Tote -- love the color, big enough for a carry-on, affordable
- Black Miu Miu Coffer (if I can find one!) -- black, smooshy, roomy, gorgeous

All of these have detachable shoulder straps except the Cole Haan, which has a good 8.5" strap drop.

Or...other ideas?

If you are looking for attention bring the Violet City. It is a stunning bag and I guarantee NYC women will stop and compliment you. I have Lilac 06 and I get stopped all the time. Purple is the new black here :yes:

Thanks mlinky and h_c!

Just to confuse things further, I just thought of one other maybe possibility: a black Paddy satchel. Might be too heavy for trudging around airports all day though.

Black city all the way :smile: Dressed up/dressed down- can be classy or edgy... this is my pick!
BTW- where did you find the Cole Haan Village Tote in Pewter? (might be the perfect choice for another PFer's search) Thanks & have a great trip!

For a NYC business meeting I would say either black City or the Miu Miu. Both have a lot of style but will look very professional. I would be worried about the violet taking away from the business professional vibe you would want to get across. The only reason I say that is because it's NYC and everyone wears darker colors. I have noticed that everyone points out those who dress outside the color range in my office.

But that could just be the industry I am in.

I would be worried about the violet taking away from the business professional vibe you would want to get across. The only reason I say that is because it's NYC and everyone wears darker colors. I have noticed that everyone points out those who dress outside the color range in my office.

But that could just be the industry I am in.

Excellent point -- industry does make a difference, and for me it's a bit of a balancing act. I work in broadcasting, which can be very old-school and traditional -- but I'm on the digital media side, so I'm half-expected to be unusual and funky. Either way, I need to look professional and smart.