Guess is the queen of imitation bags

Pandy

O.G.
Apr 4, 2007
Browsing thru the Guess website. Look at all the inspired by bags they do!

(a while ago i saw paddington bags there as well as prada logo bags with the jacquard leather).

Here is the YSL Muse bag. More pictures to follow

Attachments

• ysl muse 1.jpg
    ysl muse 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 926
  • ysl muse 2.jpg
    ysl muse 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 856
I don't like Guess bags, but I think there's other brands that are worse. The Sak is probably the worst copycat brand of all. I don't think any of their designs are actually theirs.

I would never look at that second Guess bag and say "wow, what a Prada knockoff!" I probably wouldn't have even made the connection. But now that I look at it.....

Browsing thru the Guess website. Look at all the inspired by bags they do!

(a while ago i saw paddington bags there as well as prada logo bags with the jacquard leather).

Here is the YSL Muse bag. More pictures to follow

Speaking of, I was at Old Navy today returning some stuff for my daughter and went browsing through women's. I wanted to start laugh when I saw a knockoff of the YSL downtown.

Maybe I've been looking in all the wrong places, but every Guess bag I see has the big, blingy G on it, and I would never mistake any of them for a different bag.

And I am often confused on why the big designers seem to copy one another all the time and no one calls them out on being tacky or copy-catting, but when lower-priced brands do inspired bags they are roundly condemned and put down. It seems that a $1000 copy is fine, while a $60 one is not. Interesting double-standard.

Obviously, using a designer's name is illegal and copying a bag stitch for stitch is illegal, but again I would never mistake the bags listed above for the "originals" so I'm not sure how much harm I see in it.

I was on 5th Ave yesterday and I swear I thought one of the Guess bags someone was carrying was a really REALLY bad Gucci knock off. It was so bad!

HauteMama: You make a really good point and I agree with you completely. then again, I've also been known for saying "wow that looks like a really bad version of XXXX bag" regardless of who made it. I think for me, it depends on how well the inspired bag is done - they can be done classy or tacky. Unfortunately, from what (little) I've seen,IMHO a lot of the lower priced ones wind up inadvertently tacky. Though I have seen a few decent ones :yes:

...I am often confused on why the big designers seem to copy one another all the time and no one calls them out on being tacky or copy-catting, but when lower-priced brands do inspired bags they are roundly condemned and put down. It seems that a $1000 copy is fine, while a $60 one is not. Interesting double-standard...
It's a double standard with such a long and rich tradition that it's become an accepted social norm.

This came up in another thread, and of course I held forth on it :lecture: so I am going to practice good ergonomics and self-quote. Including the disclaimer. I am very fond of disclaimers. In fact, you could call me a pro-disclaimer extremist.
...if a "low end" retailer puts out a $20 bag that bears a very close resemblance to a popular $2000 bag manufactured by a larger company who has purchased the rights to put a famous designer's name on their product, that will be considered by those same people to be foul and flagrant theft. They will complain that it reduces the status and prestige of their $2000 bag, and express feelings of extreme distaste when they see people that they know have much less money than they do carrying a bag whose lines are so similar to their own.

However if another large company with rights to use the name of another famous designer launches a new $2000 product that looks almost exactly like the $2000 bag made by the other large company, that will not be seen as criminal, or even unethical, on the contrary, it will be viewed as evidence that the design is truly a classic!

Another example: Lindsay Lohan seizes a car that belongs to someone else, and drives away with it - and the passengers inside it, people who do not wish to be there. She does this while under the influence of both alcohol and cocaine, and is found to be in possession of cocaine. This is not her first run-in with the law on the matter of driving while intoxicated.

It is possible that she could be required to spend up to four days in jail, we hear.

In another part of that same city, there is a report of a carjacking, kidnapping, hostage-taking repeat offender, a young man from a low-income neighborhood who is employed as a floor cleaner. He has also been charged with intent to distribute cocaine, since there was quite a bit of it in his pocket when he was arrested.

He will remain in prison until he is an old man.

It is a societal value with a history that goes back centuries, even millennia.

Not millennia, but, well, several , years ago, a high school girl, mainstream demographic, from a relatively affluent, "pillar of the community" family in a small town, got drunk, drove anyway, and killed one of her classmates. Every effort was made to ensure that this unfortunate incident, this serious but understandable youthful error, did not ruin her life. Whether it did or did not is debatable, but the girl did not go to jail, she passed GO! several times, collected much more than $200, including a wealthy oil company husband who became a political figurehead and a household name!
That same night, in another town, another high school student, a poor girl from a poor family from the wrong side of the tracks, got drunk, drove anyway, and killed one of her classmates. She is still in prison.

Disclaimer: Please note that the examples above are not intended as political commentary, but illustrations of an ancient cultural tradition - and one that is by no means unique to the US - Rich and poor, even rich and dwindling middle - are not measured by the same stick!
Link to original post
http://forum.purseblog.com/3739050-post15.html

I love Guess bags; I have a few of them. Not everyone is going to spend 2000$ on a bag when they can spend 200$ on one they like more.

I buy what I like, and I like Guess, too. Though right now my favorite Guess bag is in my closet while I break in my new Tokidoki.

here are some more guess bags--YSL, Prada, dior and balenciaga. To me I definately see the inspiration. It's up to you how much you see the resemblance or not.

i dont think its a "bad" thing that they copy..I mean I think it's better to get a guess bag that is inspired by the designer than an outright imitation, especially if you cant afford a designer bag. But guess is supposed to be a somewhat prestigious brand itself (considering how overpriced their stuff is for what you get lol) and whereas other designers are inspired by other designers and make it their own, it's pretty sad when a company only gets inspiration from copying others.

Attachments

• balenciaga.jpg
    balenciaga.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 469
  • dior 1.jpg
    dior 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 504
  • prada 3.jpg
    prada 3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 482
  • ysl muse 3.jpg
    ysl muse 3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 470
I've never been a fan of Guess bags (they look cheap, IMO), but I do agree that there are copies and "inspired" bags all over. Guess is not unique in that respect. That nylon bag with the "Prada" triangle is pretty heinous, though. :sick:

ive never been a fan of guess bags either.. a lot of girls from my work carries them. one of my friends who left to BU showed off to me her *new guess purse. it was rather large. like extra large! for no reason! and she spent about $110 on it... a little too much for my taste to be spending that much for a guess bag. with the way it looked and everything, tacky and all. i wouldve just wanted her to spend a few more bucks to get a (tacky) juicy bag. better than guess, imo.