Can anyone please help - info on "Dofan"?

I was able to find this:

Location 1961:

Dofan Handbags
33 E. 33rd St.
New York City

Dofan France made some fabulous handbags and this example is a sculptural gem. It was featured as "The Shape of Things to Come" in the July 1947 issue of Handbags Illustrated, page 27. It wholesaled for a hefty $22.50 each (that's $175.50 in 2005 Dollars!)and was made in suede in a variety of colors or broadcloth in black, brown and navy.

The bags that are available for sale online are all very unique and vintage. Thanks for introducing me to that brand!

Sorry I'm not an expert, but the vintage bags marked Dofan France are absolutely top quality! Many of these vintage bags can be a thing of beauty.....
I think there are others that have more expertise......GlamaRuth.....where are U????

Does anyone know what year they stopped making them?
I'm hoping to figure out a date for the one I purchased. (So hard to tell from the style!)
Thanks!

Attachments

• 19_1_b[1].jpg
    19_1_b[1].jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 5,491
  • 92_1[1].jpg
    92_1[1].jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 5,370
  • be_1[1].jpg
    be_1[1].jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 5,339
I was able to find this:

Location 1961:

Dofan Handbags
33 E. 33rd St.
New York City

Dofan France made some fabulous handbags and this example is a sculptural gem. It was featured as "The Shape of Things to Come" in the July 1947 issue of Handbags Illustrated, page 27. It wholesaled for a hefty $22.50 each (that's $175.50 in 2005 Dollars!)and was made in suede in a variety of colors or broadcloth in black, brown and navy.

The bags that are available for sale online are all very unique and vintage. Thanks for introducing me to that brand!

WOW, that is amazing! Thanks for posting that pic!

Hi Temo,

Got your PM - no problem! I don't have any myself, but judging from pics I've seen on numerous sites, I think Dofan started producing as early as the 1930's. Many seem to be stamped "made in France" so I suspect that the 1961 New York address referenced in an above post was the address of their US distributor. Judging from the photos you posted, I would say your bag is late 50's/early 60's, maybe circa 1962-3. Ladylike styles persisted well into the 60's. Can you take a close up pic of the logo stamp inside?

Hi Temo,

Got your PM - no problem! I don't have any myself, but judging from pics I've seen on numerous sites, I think Dofan started producing as early as the 1930's. Many seem to be stamped "made in France" so I suspect that the 1961 New York address referenced in an above post was the address of their US distributor. Judging from the photos you posted, I would say your bag is late 50's/early 60's, maybe circa 1962-3. Ladylike styles persisted well into the 60's. Can you take a close up pic of the logo stamp inside?

GlamaRuth, thanks for your reply! Will post photos when I get the bag. Should be next week. Just by the photos, I have really fallen for this little mystery bag! Can't wait to receive her! Thanks again!
:okay:

YAY! Finally Received! I'm so thrilled! This Dofan cleaned up incredibly with just a little apple leather conditioner! (Boxcalf I think). There were two little holes on the front of the bag where some "doodad" had obviously fallen off through the years. I had a piece of a broken gold chain that I threaded into the holes. I THINK it looks like it belongs there. (?)
Here are my photos:

Attachments

• Dofan2.jpg
    Dofan2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5,451
  • Dofan3.jpg
    Dofan3.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 5,434
  • dofan1.jpg
    dofan1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 5,400